Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reports: NFL, DirecTV near new Sunday Ticket deal

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

So would any other provider.

It can't be streaming, that simply won't work on the scale of Sunday Ticket. If it is cable then it only works for those bars that are located where that cable company or companies are offer service. Dish is a possibility, though as I understand it, Dish's technology isn't really well designed for setups with large numbers of receivers.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

Dish's technology isn't really well designed for setups with large numbers of receivers.

Don't let James hear that.
LOL!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#23 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

As I said in the other thread about this, I expect dtv to get it again and for them to possibly sell it as a ott streaming solution to people without DIRECTV at a somewhat high rate to protect their own investment.

#24 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

It can't be streaming, that simply won't work on the scale of Sunday Ticket. If it is cable then it only works for those bars that are located where that cable company or companies are offer service. Dish is a possibility, though as I understand it, Dish's technology isn't really well designed for setups with large numbers of receivers.

Dish has limtted room maybe with they kill all PPV HD (other then 1-2 for events if needed) and maybe even kill RSN HD for parts of sunday.

Cable comast does not have SDV so =

no big ten alt HD

no goal line HD

no game 3-9 HD

no team 2-9 HD

Premier League Extra Time has a VOD for live tv that fails

and limmted HBO, SHOW, MAX, starts HD.

even some SDV systems may have a hardtime doing 8-15 feeds + other local needs / others sports on some nodes.

Maybe have NFL ticket on MPEG 4 but good luck haveing the system set to flag subs as NEED MPEG 4 hardware and makeing so that the installers have the boxes on the truck for that as well saved ones if some with NFL ticket goes down.

Shaw cable has NFL ticket on MPEG  4 as well as other sports and new HD channels but you can own the box there and I think they have stop giveing out old MPEG 2 HD boxes as well.

rogers has SDV and it seems to work?? for there super sports pack.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 15 December 2013 - 09:58 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#25 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

Will DirecTV keep its Sunday Ticket football package or punt?

http://touch.latimes...e/p2p-78738113/

#26 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

"With all the new platforms coming," Bedol said, "by the time the next Sunday Ticket deal comes up, it will be obsolete."

Well the past few years for Comcast has seen them not do much on the cable tv side other then dropping HD channels and still keeping very old boxes alive.

Other cable system have at least done a lot more on MPEG 4 and SDV.

Internet will need to drop caps and have higher speeds.

Now how meany bars will pay the cost of say 30 Mbps - 50 Mbps business internet + an router that can do 8+ HD steams? + 8+ internet tv boxes (that may not get local sports, espn , local channels and more)

maybe an hdmi to component box of each one lots of bars have component matrix switches and cabling. They may also need a bigger matrix switches to add boxes that just do NFL ST. Also will they be as easy to run, install , setup as say an directv / cable box is?

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 01 January 2014 - 08:20 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#27 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

I hope DirecTV drops the Ticket personally. Enough with D* super fans feeling special because their programming provider of choice has something the others do not. Let Comcast have at it and be done with it. Go Xfinity! :)

Edited by fireponcoal, 02 January 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Its obvious ST is not the country's first choice in TV entertainment.

If it was for one all 20 million Directv customers  would subscribe , not just 10%, and only about 1 percent of the countrys total TV viewers.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

A million or two paying subscribers is not shabby.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#30 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

A million or two paying subscribers is not shabby.

In a Country where there are about 75 million plus tv subscribers its fairly weak. Again if ST was that important to customers they would be a lot closer to 20 million and not just 3m at best.
People would be lined up getting directv, and that's never been the case. Least amount of content for the most amount of money, tends to steer people clear of it.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#31 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Since I'm guessing most people live in their team's market, most subscribers don't " need" ST. ST is for out of market fans, hardcore football junkies and fantasy geeks .

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
  • damondlt likes this

#32 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 567 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

Being in the military, ST is perfect for me. Colts fan living in Lions territory. I hope DirecTV keeps it. I don't see how any cable provider could offer the same. Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#33 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Since I'm guessing most people live in their team's market, most subscribers don't " need" ST. ST is for out of market fans, hardcore football junkies and fantasy geeks .

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Exactly,
  • trh likes this

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#34 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and have been a loyal Seahawks fan since their first game.  It took a divorce :eek2: and remarriage but in 1999, while living in Northern Virginia, I finally got DirecTV and quickly realized I could get my full dose of Seahawks games if I signed up for Sunday Ticket.  Since then I've moved to San Antonio and stayed with DirecTV still driven somewhat by their exclusive Sunday Ticket offering.  I've never really considered what I might do if DirecTV lost Sunday Ticket. I think after all these years with DirecTV I'd probably stay put with them as my primary TV source though that decision might be influenced by where Sunday Ticket landed.  Count me amount those displaced fans with little to no other choice than Sunday Ticket to continue to follow their team.

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#35 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Its obvious ST is not the country's first choice in TV entertainment.

If it was for one all 20 million Directv customers  would subscribe , not just 10%, and only about 1 percent of the countrys total TV viewers.

You may be underestimating the design and why it is what it is. 

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#36 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and have been a loyal Seahawks fan since their first game. It took a divorce :eek2: and remarriage but in 1999, while living in Northern Virginia, I finally got DirecTV and quickly realized I could get my full dose of Seahawks games if I signed up for Sunday Ticket. Since then I've moved to San Antonio and stayed with DirecTV still driven somewhat by their exclusive Sunday Ticket offering. I've never really considered what I might do if DirecTV lost Sunday Ticket. I think after all these years with DirecTV I'd probably stay put with them as my primary TV source though that decision might be influenced by where Sunday Ticket landed. Count me amount those displaced fans with little to no other choice than Sunday Ticket to continue to follow their team.

Why does everyone think Directv will lose ST? DirectTV is considering just not making an exclusive deal. Which is fine by me.

#37 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

You may be underestimating the design and why it is what it is.

You are over estimating what it is.

#38 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,083 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

You are over estimating what it is. Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Considering Satelliteracer knows DIRECTLY what is involved...I'll go with his assessment instead.

• scoop8 likes this
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#39 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Considering Satelliteracer knows DIRECTLY what is involved...I'll go with his assessment instead.

I'll stick with the other 75 Million Americans whom do without NFL ST, or its outrageous price tag.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#40 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

You are over estimating what it is. Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

By design, I mean the NFL has a tough balancing act they have to play with their broadcaster rights.  The NFL set this up, by design, to be the way it is to address the networks and out of market components.  You also had technology constraints in which most of those first 20 years there were only two providers in this country that could even pull this off. 

My two cents

Edited by Satelliteracer, 03 January 2014 - 01:30 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...