Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reports: NFL, DirecTV near new Sunday Ticket deal

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

One thing, though, and it's the most ironic part of this situation, is that if the NFL strips DirecTV of exclusivity of Sunday Ticket, it would probably ease a lot of the concerns regarding the NFL's anti-trust exemption, which has been used by legislators in the past against the NFL for doing such deals in regards to their exemption.

The only reason the Sunday Ticket exclusivity has been an "issue" for legislators is mainly due to Arlen Spector, who was mainly concerned with the NFL Network. Why? Because Cablevision is based in his home state (PA) and its owners have donated millions of dollars to him over the years. They weren't able to reach a deal to carry the NFL Network, and I believe still haven't, so they used Specter as a proxy to attack the NFL.

There's really no reason the NFL shouldn't give up that exemption, as the only purpose it serves today is to shield the NFL from taxes. The MLB gave up their exemption voluntarily a few years ago, and reported it was revenue neutral - as you'd think the NFL's would be, since it passes through all the revenue to the 32 teams and keeps just enough to pay for its offices and salaries. They might have to keep a few million more if they ended up owning a bit of taxes, but it isn't like they'd be paying taxes on all those billions washing through.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#162 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,264 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Let's get this straight:

NFL teams take a lot of money from local governments to build stadiums.

The NFL pays no income tax because it is a non-profit entity whose purpose is to organize the teams. The individual teams are subject to income tax.

------------------------------------------

Back to the original thread, there have been some rumblings that Verizon may end up with the Sunday Ticket. I assume that means FIOS and Verizon DSL/cell service would be means through which ST would be provided to customers. Since FIOS is very, very limited, could Verizon sublease it to Directv? Could there be a joint agreement where it's offered both on FIOS and Directv? This would eliminate the complaint of those in many urban areas who can't put up a dish.

The nfl will never put FIOS in charge of st. They may let them have it to but they'd never be selling it to others and never have exclusive rights to it either. Not as the company is set up now.

#163 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

The only reason the Sunday Ticket exclusivity has been an "issue" for legislators is mainly due to Arlen Spector, who was mainly concerned with the NFL Network. Why? Because Cablevision is based in his home state (PA) and its owners have donated millions of dollars to him over the years. They weren't able to reach a deal to carry the NFL Network, and I believe still haven't, so they used Specter as a proxy.

Some corrections. It was Comcast, not cablevision. And Comcast has had nfl network and nfl red zone for a few years now.

Cablevision is in New York.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#164 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

Almost 3 months & still nothing.

#165 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

They have until September 2015 to figure out it, so I wouldn't start worrying just yet!

#166 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

I would say that at this point in time.. no news is bad news...for those of us using D*.. even if the companies merge, it doesn't seem that Sunday Ticket, is staying, past this year.. if even offered this year.. 

#167 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

I would say that at this point in time.. no news is bad news...for those of us using D*.. even if the companies merge, it doesn't seem that Sunday Ticket, is staying, past this year.. if even offered this year.. 

I think its good news.

I don't care if NFL ST is exclusive.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#168 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

I think its good news.

I don't care if NFL ST is exclusive.

if you don't care, then it is neither good nor bad news, yes?

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#169 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

if you don't care, then it is neither good nor bad news, yes?

No, I just said its good news

You may care if its Exclusive, I prefer it not to be.

Hence why I don't care that a deal isn't made.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#170 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 569 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

The pricing is up on the website for this year so I'm guessing it's on this year.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#171 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

No, I just said its good news

You may care if its Exclusive, I prefer it not to be.

Hence why I don't care that a deal isn't made.

Okay. You meant to say that you do care. Got it.

I don't care either as long as I get what I get now. If DirecTV doesn't have a least a share, I don't think anyone else would do it as well. But Comcast and Fios can have it if they want as far as I am concerned.

Edited by tonyd79, 27 March 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#172 ONLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

The current Sunday Ticket contract includes this year (2014). The negotiation is for years to follow.

I personally can't see how DTV gives this up. They may opt not to have exclusive rights any longer but I think they'll still offer it. Too many sports bar and business revenue to miss out on.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#173 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

I dont really care im addicted to redzone.

Scott Hanson really is better than "Big Ears" too.

#174 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

Well, if the most recent public comments are any indication, it appears the digital rights constitute the hold up.

I'm speculating, but I believe DirecTV wants to retain exclusive digital rights over the life of the contract, while the NFL has plans of their own for that medium, be it selling it separately or keeping it in-house.

Or it could be something as simple as price, considering the estimated increases likely for Sunday Ticket, percentage-wise. Or it could be a mix of both, which seems very plausible.

I can't see DirecTV playing hardball with the the likes of the NFL, with a take it or leave it attitude they've been throwing around recently, but who knows? The NFL is just as stubborn and usually gets want they want, at least they have for almost every media deal they've made to date.

When it comes to leverage, the NFL has it all in my opinion and they know it.

#175 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Well, if the most recent public comments are any indication, it appears the digital rights constitute the hold up.

I'm speculating, but I believe DirecTV wants to retain exclusive digital rights over the life of the contract, while the NFL has plans of their own for that medium, be it selling it separately or keeping it in-house.

If that was the case, Directv would surely be willing to pay much less. It is worth less to customers if they can buy the NFL equivalent of MLBEI, and worth less to commercial customers to carry NFLST if more of their customer base has access to the NFL over the internet. So they'd be willing to pay less for it. I don't think it would even be worth what Directv is paying the NFL today, let alone whatever the NFL probably wants them to pay under the new contract.

The NFL wants to sell it as an exclusive deal because that means they can sell it for more money than if it becomes something you can get on any provider. In the past there has only been Directv, since Dish showed little interest. There hadn't been any cable providers who could get involved since none were truly national, but Comcast will be pretty close to national if the merger goes through. If they got it, they'd have a pretty good stranglehold on pro sports between the Comcast/TWC pro team RSNs and NFLST - and I'm sure they'd make their customers pay dearly at that point.

#176 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

If that was the case, Directv would surely be willing to pay much less. It is worth less to customers if they can buy the NFL equivalent of MLBEI, and worth less to commercial customers to carry NFLST if more of their customer base has access to the NFL over the internet. So they'd be willing to pay less for it. I don't think it would even be worth what Directv is paying the NFL today, let alone whatever the NFL probably wants them to pay under the new contract.

The NFL wants to sell it as an exclusive deal because that means they can sell it for more money than if it becomes something you can get on any provider. In the past there has only been Directv, since Dish showed little interest. There hadn't been any cable providers who could get involved since none were truly national, but Comcast will be pretty close to national if the merger goes through. If they got it, they'd have a pretty good stranglehold on pro sports between the Comcast/TWC pro team RSNs and NFLST - and I'm sure they'd make their customers pay dearly at that point.

comcast can't even get nbc premier league extra time right and they own NBC.

also if they get NFL ST they will need to make so that bars can get the games in HD in a easy to tune way

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#177 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

I actually believe to opposite: the NFL can probably get more money (as a whole) dumping the exclusive deal.

While yes, I agree that the price DirecTV pays would arguably be less if indeed the NFL were to offer rights elsewhere, however, the potential "net" windfall to the NFL would be greater, in my estimation (and opinion) should it be made available elsewhere.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Comcast. In fact, the best option (for everyone in my opinion) would be "over the top," while keeping DirecTV as the sole "traditional" provider. In fact, I think this option may be the holdup, either in principle or either DirecTV agrees and it falls to pricing.

If this were true (and again I'm speculating) and DirecTV agrees in principle to this change, then I would argue that they probably should get a discount, or at the very least shield themselves from the NFL's usual percentage increase. Whether the NFL agrees is another matter entirely.

#178 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

If you're up to speed on what the NFL is doing lately... they're really trying to bring in more revenue and expand their brand.

18 game season

Expanded playoffs 

Possible Football on other days of the week, Saturday...

London Franchise

Etc.

There's got to be people that either can't have satellite, or chose not to, but that would otherwise subscribe to the Ticket.

More subscribers, more ad revenue, more fans, more merchandise, more, more, more.

Seems like the Goodell is really pushing to grow the brand.  Maybe 5 years ago a billion dollar exclusive deal was good business, but in 2015 (my personal opinion) I think reaching more people would be greater than wanting the exclusive deal.

I'm expecting NFL ticket on other providers

Internet only packages (Apple TV, Playstation, etc)

It's all about the $$$

• damondlt likes this

#179 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

You said it!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#180 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

I actually believe to opposite: the NFL can probably get more money (as a whole) dumping the exclusive deal.

I agree. It was always rumored/assumed the nfl wanted it limited because of the deals with CBS and fox.

They may be changing their minds.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...