Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Center Ice - No HD AGAIN! So frustrating :(

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

I know NHL is a very small viewership, but WHY does DirecTV repeatedly show Center Ice NHL games as being available in HD and then only show them on the SD channel?  I'm a Preds fan, probably one of the smaller viewerships of the already small market, but they advertise it as being in HD and I guess just don't have the bandwidth to show it, so we're screwed again.  The really bad thing is my buddies with Dish always have HD while I'm sitting here stuck with SD :(  It has been a few years since I followed the different sat compaies and even this forum.  Last I knew though, Direct had more available bandwidth, so I can only suspect they are diverting it to PPV???  Tonight I checked other games and neither of the two feeds of the Rangers game was in HD nor was the single Flyers game. 

If it was one or two games a year, it would be one thing.  Tonight is at least the 4th time this year though, so it will end up being a significant number of games... again.

I know we have no recourse, but man it seems like they ought to refund part of your subscription fee or something and, again, why does only Direct have this problem and Dish never does?!!  So frustrating...

There, I feel better.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,700 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

I think you need to either reset your receiver or refresh your services. I'm getting all the games in HD here, including the Predators feed on 776-1.

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

776-1 is blacked out for me because I am in DFW and it is on my local RSN (in HD) , but the two Rangers feeds are certainly in HD.

#4 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

I haven't seen an SD only feed in some time, and I think it was one of the Canadian teams home feed.
I haven't been checking out a lot of out of market games this year, though.
-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994
My setup

#5 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Edmonton@Vancouver tonight is in HD with the CBC broadcast. Also tomorrow nights game Boston@Vancouver has dual feeds both in HD. Big improvement this year for Canadian teams.

#6 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

The supposed HD games are listed in the guide, but when I tune to them it's just the DirecTV logo with music.  I'm sure a receiver reset would do nothing.  This has been going on for years :(

Oftentimes, they will put on the HD version later in the game.  The Preds game finally came on in HD sometime late 2nd period or during the 2nd intermission.  When a game is not in HD, every break I'm flipping back over to see if they've started the HD broadcast yet.  Meanwhile, my DIsh friends have been watching in HD the whole time.  This is one of the few areas I know where DIsh is superior to Direct.  But, again, I've been out of the loop for a few years.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

Tune to the RSN. Also, how do you know a reset won't fix it? People are telling you they're watching the games, so you might have equipment or authorization issues. Dish is definitely not better with CI than DirecTV. Dish doesn't even have MSG games in HD.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,700 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Like I said above call in and have your services refreshed. I had this happen to me a few years ago and they were able to fix it.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

You can also refresh at www.directv.com/resend

• juniormaj likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 398 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Tune to 644-1. It's always HD there.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#11 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

Tune to 644-1. It's always HD there.

When it's there, which is most of the time.  Sometimes it's just like the Center Ice channel and displaying the DirecTV logo and music though while 644 has the game in SD.

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,700 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

When it's there, which is most of the time. Sometimes it's just like the Center Ice channel and displaying the DirecTV logo and music though while 644 has the game in SD.

Did you do what we suggested to fix your problem?

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 17 December 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

Refreshing the receiver isn't going to fix it if the channel is showing the DirecTV logo and music.

#14 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Exactly.  And, as mentioned, this has been going on for years and the receiver has certainly been restarted several times over the period of time.  I'm sure it's just a matter of available bandwidth.  More often than not, the HD broadcast will start 1 or 2 periods into the game, but sometimes it never starts at all.  It's just frustrating because my Dish and Comcast friends have all of the games in HD all of the time :(

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,700 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

The games are in HD, the rest of us are getting them, it is not a bandwidth issue. You must call D* and have them reauthorize NHLCI on your account in order to fix this problem, they need to refresh your receivers. I speak from experience as this happened to me a few years ago. Please call D*.

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but when the TS can't get a game in HD yet others are watching that same game, it indicates that the issue is centered on the TS's equipment/programming. 

#17 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

Refreshing the receiver isn't going to fix it if the channel is showing the DirecTV logo and music.

That isn't necessarily true. I've seen it work if the streams have been reassigned and the receiver doesn't track. The refresh resets it. The directv logo is just a link between the channel number and a shared logo stream. It isn't that the logo is on that channel.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#18 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Been off for a couple of weeks.  This happened again over the break, so I called them.  Rep told me if I was seeing the logo and hearing music that it wasn't anything to do with the receiver, but with the programming not being available.  She was going to have a manger call me that night or the next day, but I never heard a thing.  Except for that one time, the HD feed has been there the last couple of weeks.

#19 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

let me ask you are you direcTV wiring where animals can get to? try this tonight if happen resting your box and bet the game will come right away

Edited by lacubs, 07 January 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,700 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Been off for a couple of weeks. This happened again over the break, so I called them. Rep told me if I was seeing the logo and hearing music that it wasn't anything to do with the receiver, but with the programming not being available. She was going to have a manger call me that night or the next day, but I never heard a thing. Except for that one time, the HD feed has been there the last couple of weeks.

What game and channel numbers were you trying to watch?

Did the rep remove and then add the package back?

The next time this happens tune to the RSN channel in the 600's and see if you get it.

spam firewall