Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When a 64 bit system isn't really 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,535 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

So my niece in laws laptop was having problems so I took it home with me at Thanksgiving. They wanted me to fix it there, but without an Internet connection or tools, my options were limited.

I determined the drive was bad, so I ordered a replacement, as well as more memory as the system didn't have much. Because there wasn't that much of a price difference, I ordered 8gb.

The bios sees 8gb and Windows sees 8gb but half of it is listed as available. Are there 64 bit systems that cannot use more than 4gb? It is a few years old. Yes, I did install 64 bit Windows 7. It's home Premium, but even Basic has an 8gb limit. Premium is 16.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hardware limitation? I have an older Dell XPS desktop that will only take 4 GB even running 64 bit Windows 7.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,535 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

Something like that, just wondering why...though I hadn't actually tried to install more memory on a 32 bit system to see how memory over 4gb showed up.

I did update the BIOS, just to see if that made a difference, it didn't. I was still running Windows Updates last night (500 meg even with SP1 already included) but can't imagine there would be anything there. Also was working on various drivers.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

I haven't used my PC in quite a while... in Mac world now...  but I seem to remember something about PCs reserving RAM equivalent to your video card RAM unless you disable something... so, for example if you had a 2GB ram video card installed and 8GB system ram, it would actually only show 6GB of usable system ram because it would match-reserve the same amount as you had on your video card.

I think if this is the case that there was a way to turn that off...  don't remember if it was video "mirroring" or what, different BIOS showed different names for similar config settings... but you might want to poke around in the BIOS and see what it shows for video card RAM and if there is a setting that also might be reserving additional matching system ram.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,463 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

Google "pc not recognizing all memory", especially any "Tom's Hardware" links,

Been there, done that, but I can't even remember what my problem was.

Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Its probably using the rest of the RAM for shared video memory.....reducing the amount used for actual RAM...instead using it for video RAM.  Very common practice in laptops.  If you install over 4 GB on a 32-bit OS and it is recognized by the BIOS, it will only have up to about 3 1/2 GB available to the OS no matter how much you put in.  If the BIOS is recognizing all 8GB then the system isnt limited to less than that.

Edited by CCarncross, 18 December 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,535 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Looking more into it online, it seems like the system isn't 100% 64 bit. I'm seeing references that the AMD V105 only has a 64 but FPU, suggesting other components like the ALU are 32 bit.

To me, kind of sounds like a device that only supports video over HDMI and not audio, and I think we did have ones like that early on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

Old thread, but: No, Windows is caching stuff for you to use. I have 16 GB of RAM. I'm currently at a total of 16314 MB, 9389 Cached, 9921 Available, 586 Free. Or thereabouts. in general you're never going to have all of your memory "free".

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,535 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Nope, it wasn't caching. It truly was that the system cannot address more than 3gb of RAM. In my research, I found that there were some Intel chipsets that were the same way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...