Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wiring a home for Genie and Genie minis

Genie Wiring

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HennyPenny

HennyPenny

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

I am completely renovating a house.  I would like to wire for Direct TV Genie before Drywall.  What do I need?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

There are a few threads on here about people who are building houses and what they have done. If you are renovating a house it is the same idea I would think. Here is a thread

http://www.dbstalk.c...be-ideal-setup/

My post is second to last on the second page. I think that the only thing that I would do differently is to run two of everything to each location. And even if I left one set in the wall, they are still there if/when I need them. I can upload some pictures of my setup all finished if you care to see.

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

I am completely renovating a house.  I would like to wire for Direct TV Genie before Drywall.  What do I need?

You'll need a central utility closet where all lines (telephone, LAN, coax, etc.) are run to. Do to wives listening to decorators, expect your wired equipment to be moved to the other side of the room sometime while you're living there. 

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,392 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

At minimum you need one coax for any location you will have or may ever want a Directv receiver.

Going beyond that, you may want to run two coaxes to some/all of those locations, for an antenna connection if you can receive local stations you want to view but Directv does not provide. The second coax could also be used if you ever subscribe to both Directv and cable TV - apparently some people do.

Directv doesn't require ethernet, but it makes things a bit simpler if you have ethernet plugged into the Genie, so when you're planning your cat5e/cat6a runs you should add an extra where the Genie is or might go.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

You'll need a central utility closet where all lines (telephone, LAN, coax, etc.) are run to. Do to wives listening to decorators, expect your wired equipment to be moved to the other side of the room sometime while you're living there. 

It happends three times a year in our house.... She has a Winter, Summer and a X-mas arangement... Drives me up a wall but, I love her :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#6 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

I currently have 4 coax runs and 2 cat5 runs...  one for DTV, one for Cable, one for OTA and one as a spare.. the two cat5 runs are for phone and ethernet.

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

I would say, the best tip I can give you is to make sure that your Genie and clients are never more than 150 cable-feet from each other. Use the smallest splitter possible (although if you have only one splitter it makes less difference than if you had multiples.)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

I currently have 4 coax runs and 2 cat5 runs... one for DTV, one for Cable, one for OTA and one as a spare.. the two cat5 runs are for phone and ethernet.

This is what I'd do. And central closet all home runs. And I'd still run at least on coax to any spot where you might connect a radio. And two anywhere you might put a computer with two Ethernet there to. You can't run to much cable! ;)

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,682 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

I would say, the best tip I can give you is to make sure that your Genie and clients are never more than 150 cable-feet from each other. Use the smallest splitter possible (although if you have only one splitter it makes less difference than if you had multiples.)

RG11 can be a "work around" if 150+ is must, right?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,682 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

This is what I'd do. And central closet all home runs. And I'd still run at least on coax to any spot where you might connect a radio. And two anywhere you might put a computer with two Ethernet there to. You can't run to much cable! ;)

Radio????  doesn't 'radio" come from the net nowadays...  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,392 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Radio????  doesn't 'radio" come from the net nowadays...  

I think he means the thing in your car you turn on if you want to hear commercials, which are sometimes interrupted by music.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

I think he means the thing in your car you turn on if you want to hear commercials, which are sometimes interrupted by music.

Here in Los Angeles we actually have a few good radio stations that aren't filled constantly with commercials. And you'd be amazed at how many like talk radio too.

#13 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

Years ago we used to have a home Sirius radio in the living room the was fed an outdoor antenna mounted on the dish though a RG6 cable. Since then we have found it useless anywhere but in the car for long trips and sometimes even that is questionable.

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#14 OFFLINE   vanduse1

vanduse1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

What is the latest requirements for the Coax runs from the dish to a central wiring closet?  Will I need one or two coax lines?

I have one Genie, 2 DVRs, and a HD (non-dvr) receiver.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,682 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

What is the latest requirements for the Coax runs from the dish to a central wiring closet?  Will I need one or two coax lines?

I have one Genie, 2 DVRs, and a HD (non-dvr) receiver.

one coax per location/receiver 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Your configuration has 10 tuners, so, you will need four RG-6 from dish to wiring closet to support the SWM - 16 switch. 

#17 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Place your "Closet" Next to or Close to the main Electrical Panel -This location will help keep you from having to relocate it -as in ever :)

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

Place your "Closet" Next to or Close to the main Electrical Panel -This location will help keep you from having to relocate it -as in ever :)

In my home, I had the main circuit breaker panel place in a central location on the main level. The main panel in my basement just has the breakers for the basement and the whole home power surge along with a master off switch. Wanted to avoid the trip to the basement every time a breaker was tripped.

Edited by Drucifer, 20 February 2014 - 11:55 AM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#19 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

If you locate your low voltage wiring panel in any one of those locations - It won't be remolded anytime soon 

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

And that's the worst thing you can do IMHO. Keep it as far as possible and preferably as close to the middle of the house as possible with conduit to wherever the outside lines come in from.

There's no reason to worry about relocating a wiring closet ever anyway once it's in.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...