Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Inside Washington ending

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,716 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Inside Washington announced at the end of tonight's show that its next episode will be its last.  Washington, DC based newscaster Gordon Peterson has been the host for 25 years, and it had moved from venue to venue as Peterson had moved from station to station. 

Inside Washington is the continuation of Agronsky and Company, which began in the 1969 and was hosted by Martin Agronsky.  It originally featured George Will, Hugh Sidney,  Peter Lisagor, Carl Rowan, Elizabeth Drew and my sister's late father in law, James J. Kilpatrick (Kilpatrick claims he never saw Dan Akroyd's imitation of him, but he did once say "Jane you ignorant slut" just to appease some friends).  The current cast of regulars includes Mark Shields, Nina Totenberg, Charles Krauthammer, Colbert King and most frequent replacement guest Evan Thomas.  Too bad for me.  Inside Washington was my only Must-See-TV show.  And too bad for the cause of civil discourse.

Edited by AntAltMike, 13 December 2013 - 09:16 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

Maybe it's ending because folks didn't know about it. I would like such a show very much, but I've never heard of it. What network was it on?

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:20 AM

ABC. Given the intensity of the political polarity today, it's nearly impossible to find a calm, rational and even-handed discussion show anymore. I happened to catch "Meet the Press" this am. What a sick joke that has become under David Gregory.

Back in the day, folks had time for honest discussion in-depth. David Susskind. Edward R. Murrow. Dick Cavett. Bill Moyers. William F. Buckley. And note that no matter what the political affiliation of the host, they would never slant the discussion unfairly or rant and badger anyone. The host understood their role: to bring out the best in their guest. To raise interesting issues. To talk about life in general. It was never about "winning", just lively discussion among friends.

Today it's nothing but a middle school debating society. Few facts, lots of opinion, a battle of pre-digested talking points, and nothing is revealed.

Edited by Maruuk, 16 December 2013 - 12:40 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

...I happened to catch "Meet the Press" this am. What a sick joke that has become under David Gregory.

Back in the day, folks had time for honest discussion in-depth. David Susskind. Edward R. Murrow. Dick Cavett. Bill Moyers. William F. Buckley. And note that no matter what the political affiliation of the host, they would never slant the discussion unfairly or rant and badger anyone. The host understood their role: to bring out the best in their guest. To raise interesting issues. To talk about life in general....

Gee, I think DG is about as good at that as anyone out there. Who's better? Buckley was a stuffed shirt.

I watch all of the network shows on Sunday morning, except FOX and CNN. Those I do watch are a far cry from the reason I started watching years ago, which was because of David Brinkley. I thought he was the best, and you could always tell when he thought the guests were full of BS.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

Buckley was a unique character, a quite brilliant one who had an incredible arsenal of facts at his disposal. And while he came from the arch Catholic Right himself, he never insulted his guests from other affiliations and created quite a fascinating reparte.

Gregory sets a clear agenda every week. The selected guests and panel create a playing field that is highly slanted in one direction. 'Nuff said.

Though I think we could all agree on the late, great Tim Russert. He wasn't carrying political baggage into the fray. He just went after the facts and the story.

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

Likable, but well over-rated. He couldn't carry Brinkley's jock.

What. Too soon?

#7 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

hehe A little too insider/establishment for my taste as well. Brinkley had it easy, back in the days when the two aisles met in the middle. Wonder how he'd handle this Hatfields & McCoys business today...

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

That would be great television.

#9 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:20 AM

Good night, Chet. Good night, David. Good night, Bert. Good night, Ernie.

#10 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,716 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

William F. Buckley threatening Gore Vidal in 1968:

default.jpg

Excerpts from one of my favorite interviews by William F Buckley, guest Mortimer Adler, from 1983:

mqdefault.jpg

Edited by AntAltMike, 20 December 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:38 AM

Great clip! Vidal mopped up the floor with him!

spam firewall