Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? DATA COLLECTION

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

Here's your chance to do some real data collection to help make this problem go away. If possible, resolve the issue (take good notes) then do a KEYWORD search for SENDREPORT and follow the steps to generate a report key. All data is anonymous.

Fill out the Google form below:

If you don't see the form, click here: https://docs.google....lf6IYg/viewform
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Could you please elaborate on this?

I'm trying to figure out if this is something I get from time to time with recordings on my HR34.

Thanks!  :)

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

We're talking about a case where the picture either freezes or degenerates into a useless mess while you are watching TV. My guess, Mr. Gordon, is that if you don't know what the problem is, you don't have it. ;)

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Nice work Stuart. Now we have something useful to use.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I have been sending multiple reports over the last two weeks.  The recent two that were not in the other threads are a combination of issues.  The first is that every time today I watched a recording the live TV was frozen when exiting.  So that Can be a part of every report number.  The second was a frozen issue of CSI recorded on 12/11/13.  Those report numbers are 201312162C0E and 2013121615C2.

I will keep submitting but this has been frustrating and I am nearing the end of my patience.

I have posted these last two in the form that was supplied above.

Edited by aldiesel, 16 December 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

Thank you, adiesel. I know it's frustrating but these reports go straight to DIRECTV engineering.

#7 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 354 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

I guess, I am one of the lucky ones.  No issues here in Northern Michigan, using an HR44-700.

Ed

HR44-700, HR22-700, HR21-200, SWM16

#8 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

Nice job, Stuart. How quickly do we need to run the SENDREPORT after the freezing, or doesn't it matter? Almost all of my viewing is either recorded or buffered.

When we submit the forms, should we post here with any details?

Thanks,

Kevin

• lgb0250 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Ideally, if you could run SENDREPORT while the problem is in progress, that would be great, but if your receiver is hard frozen obviously it's not possible.

SENDREPORT packages up a variety of anonymous system logs and sends them to DIRECTV. Some of them fill up quickly which is why it's best to send a report as quickly as possible, but really anytime within 1/2 hour of the problem will work.

Any details here would also be appreciated.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

I might mention that DirecTV rarely, if ever, acknowledges reports to individuals. However, the more reports sent on the same issue will likely put more resources onto the matter.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   flaktastic

flaktastic

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Are you looking for info only for a 100% Genie environment or for mixed systems too? I have an HR34, HR21 and H24. When watching something recorded on the HR34 remotely on either of the others it will freeze occasionally for 5 seconds or so and start playing again, like someone paused it. Happens fairly regularly with my 3 year old's Nick JR shows, everything else seems fine.

#12 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

Are you looking for info only for a 100% Genie environment or for mixed systems too? I have an HR34, HR21 and H24. When watching something recorded on the HR34 remotely on either of the others it will freeze occasionally for 5 seconds or so and start playing again, like someone paused it. Happens fairly regularly with my 3 year old's Nick JR shows, everything else seems fine.

It's from the source recording HR34 that's needed to send report as indicated

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#13 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

Ideally, if you could run SENDREPORT while the problem is in progress, that would be great, but if your receiver is hard frozen obviously it's not possible.

SENDREPORT packages up a variety of anonymous system logs and sends them to DIRECTV. Some of them fill up quickly which is why it's best to send a report as quickly as possible, but really anytime within 1/2 hour of the problem will work.

Any details here would also be appreciated.

Since nearly all my viewing is recorded shows do the logs that are sent with SENDREPORT include data from the recording that is being watched at the time? If not, do the reports have any value?

#14 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Report 20131218-243E.  Several episodes of property brothers recorded back to back on 12/11 went right to the question if you want to delete.  The sixth episode played but froze at the 1 minute mark. Live TV was not frozen at the time of playing the recordings.

#15 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

Report 20131218-2268.  Hostages recorded on Monday 12/16 froze at the 1 minute mark. Live TV was fine when attempting to watch the recording.

There is now a problem almost every day we go to watch something recorded.  Either frozen or right to the delete question.

#16 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

The Genie will not let me send more than one report an hour but tried to play Once Upon a Time on ABC 7 from 12/15 at 7:00 and it froze at the 15 minute mark.  Then tried to play NCIS LA from 12/17 on CBS 4 and it asked to delete right away.  I then went to play NCIS from 12/17 on CBS 4 and it froze at the 1 minute mark.

I am trying to be helpful but this DVR is useless about now.  More than 80 percent of all recordings are failing.

#17 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

HR34-700, 0799, HDMI connection

OK guys I realy don't want to jinks it but here goes.

Just over a week ago, Santa upgraded my Sony 55" SXRD projection TV to the Samsung 65" LED 6001 series.

Playing a recording on the 34 and the Sony TV it would momentarily freeze one to three times an hour for 5 or 6 seconds then continue without doing anything. I thought it was the HR34 causing the problem.

It didn't dawn on me until I saw this thread, since I connected the Samsung TV I have not seen the freezing behavior once.

I printed a copy of the Data Colletion sheet to have ready to fill out during a freeze and I haven't had one since. 

Could this be an HDMI handshake causing the problem? I'm using the same HDMI cable on the Samsung TV.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#18 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

Report 20131223-1608.  Live TV on ESPN 206 just froze.  No recordings were happening at the time.

#19 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanal Winchester Ohio

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

I have HR 34 genie with two HR 24 clients. Liive freezes come back recordings do not. Somtimes the freeze is at the start and sometimes in the recording. When I try to move forward it goes to the delete screen. I am having to record duplicate shows, one on genie 34 and one on HR 24 to make sure I get full recording. I received software version 799 Dec 16. It has been happening ever since. When watching recording live picture freezes. I have sent multiple reports but I watch everythig recorded or buffered. It is getting to be a real pain in the neck. Thanks for the forum. 

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

Since nearly all my viewing is recorded shows do the logs that are sent with SENDREPORT include data from the recording that is being watched at the time? If not, do the reports have any value?

sorry for the late reply. Yes, the reports have value.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...