Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? DATA COLLECTION

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yes I have the whole home service.  The infected programs freeze on other DVRs also.

Edited by mikek, 21 January 2014 - 07:33 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,146 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Yes I have the whole home service.  The infected programs freeze on other DVRs also.

Then I am afraid they are ruined forever 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#53 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

My HR34-700 over the past couple months has experienced the frozen picture/audio continues problem, typically 1 minute into a recording or paused live TV (although a few instances has been the last minute of a program recording). This has now happened on our local Fox, local NBC, ESPN, TLC, H2, FS1, and Fox Sports Midwest - so it doesn't appear to be tied to a specific station and has happened at all hours of the day. I do have an AM21 plugged into it but I have tried unplugging it and still have the same results. I have restarted the machine several times hoping that it would fix the problem but it keeps cropping up. It is really hit or miss and no way to seemingly know when it will occur. It also is not weather/reception related as in some of the instances other programs are recording at the same time and are just fine, which makes me wonder if it is a tuner issue - but still very strange. This has now happened 20+ times since November. Also wondering if an software update this fall has caused some unknown issue with all of these DVR's as everything worked great prior to November and had since its installation last January.

#54 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Did the double reset in 30 minutes yesterday and just a little over 24 hours later had the issue pop up again. I was recording a show and then attempted to watch it live and all it was a black picture, switched the channel and came back and the picture was fine again on live TV. I don't know how the tuners work in the machine, so not sure if that could be part of it. Going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get a solution to this.

#55 OFFLINE   eckhart

eckhart

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Had two more freezes on the same night. One was a sports recording, and one on the local news. I cannot trust the Hr34 to record reliably anymore since early December. Not one problem prior to that for most of a year.

#56 OFFLINE   iacas

iacas

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

SENDREPORT was 20140130-8D5. Was freezing constantly watching almost any program back. Got so bad that changing to a channel would often result in just a black screen with no sound.

Unplugged for an hour or so and then plugged it back in again. Should last for a few weeks. :(

Edited by iacas, 03 February 2014 - 07:46 AM.

Erik J. Barzeski
Personal Blog | Golf Site

My Equipment:
HR20 hooked to Sony 60" HDTV, Pittsburgh Locals, HD Package
HR21 hooked to a Vizio 37" HDTV in the bedroom[/size]

#57 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanal Winchester Ohio

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Does anyone know if Directv is making any progress in fixing this problem? I sent in many reports before I left for the winter in January. Would sure like it fixed before I get back in April. I can't trust my genie hr34 recording anything.

#58 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

I had a tech out today - replaced it with an HR44, told me the HR34's were "junk boxes" and there is a known issue with overheating causing problems with the tuners.

#59 OFFLINE   jennis2613

jennis2613

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

My HR-34 freezes randomly on any, and all, HD channels. It has gotten to the point that the actual broadcast on all my channels is about 3 minutes behind. Meaning if I have Directv playing on one tv and cable on another (same program) the program on Directv is literally almost 3 minutes behind the same one on cable.

This delay has ruined most of my recorded series / shows because the recording stops withe 3 minutes left in the show (27 minutes for a 30 minute show and 57 minutes for a 1 hour show).

#60 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,146 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

cable and DirecTV programming will never be in sync.  DirecTV signals have to "travel" much longer to reach your house 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#61 OFFLINE   eckhart

eckhart

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

In reading the post above where the tech said this issue resulted from a known overheating issue with the HR 34, I can't help but wonder is this is a software problem. My HR 34 performed flawlessly for nearly a year until December. If this were an overheating issue, why didn't it show up before? I wish someone would let us know that they have identified the problem. I hate to swap out for an HR 44 if a fix is imminent.

#62 OFFLINE   jennis2613

jennis2613

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

cable and DirecTV programming will never be in sync.  DirecTV signals have to "travel" much longer to reach your house 

I know cable and Directv will never be in sync. It use to only be several seconds difference not almost 3 minutes.

#63 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

I agree with Eckhart. I had no problem with my HR34 until I received software update 799 on 16 Dec 13. I do not want to swap out my HR34 if it is a software issue. I have it loaded to the max and don't want to lose the good recordings. Again I ask does anyone know if directv is making any progress with fixing this problem. They sure have gotten plenty of send reports and its been almost two months since the last release which appears to have caused the problem.  

#64 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Something is definitely wrong if all of his recordings are starting 3 minutes early and ending 3 minutes before the show ends.

Edited by Beerstalker, 05 February 2014 - 01:23 PM.

• jennis2613 likes this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#65 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

So I've had the same issue for a while now but just ignored it.

I have a bunch of recordings that stop about 1m in.  The audio continues, but the video freezes. I typically just deleted the show and found another showing to record.

Recently a new issue started to occur.  I would start watching a recording and when I ended it and came back to 'live', the video would be stuck at the time I started watching the recording.  Easy enough to fix by just changing the channel.  

Anyone else having that issue?

#66 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,146 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

So I've had the same issue for a while now but just ignored it.

I have a bunch of recordings that stop about 1m in.  The audio continues, but the video freezes. I typically just deleted the show and found another showing to record.

Recently a new issue started to occur.  I would start watching a recording and when I ended it and came back to 'live', the video would be stuck at the time I started watching the recording.  Easy enough to fix by just changing the channel.  

Anyone else having that issue?

I take you have already done the basics such as a menu reset?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#67 OFFLINE   CeeBee

CeeBee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Our freezing/pixelation problems went away about 4 weeks ago.  Here's what happened: I tried to turn on the HR34 in the AM, and nothing happened - didn't respond to the remote, didn't respond to the front panel.  I unplugged the DVR, waited 30 seconds, and re-plugged.  The "running receiver self-check" screen came up immediately, and the DVR went through the normal restart/reset screens.  I missed one recording while it was "dead", but, since that morning, the HR34 has worked great.  The clients also come on noticeably quicker than before, and have been problem-free.  The Genie has been in heavy use throughout those weeks between the end of the NFL season, and watching/recording local news coverage of the awful weather/power outages on multiple channels.

I've had zero freezes or pixelation problems.  Only problem has been that the first recording of the day has twice recorded for 1 minute, then stopped, then resumed as a separate recording a minute later.

(We received the 79e software the week previous (1/7) but had several freeze problems before that morning.)

I have no clue what happened, but I've stopped researching FIOS and the TiVo Roamio for now! 

#68 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

I take you have already done the basics such as a menu reset?

Yes, I went through and did all the tests including the long one last night.

#69 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

Well, happened twice tonight.  Brooklyn 99 wouldn't play and Justified played for 1m and then froze.

Guess I'll call DTV.

#70 OFFLINE   AntonyB

AntonyB

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

I submitted a report.

I see this problem often on NBC XXII Winter Olympics, WHDH channel 7, Boston market, most recently during the 2/19 and 2/18 8PM prime time shows. Many of  the Olympics programs (entire 3 or 4 hour programs) have been totally clean, while others show the symptoms at several points during the course of the show. I cannot see any pattern to that.

I record the same NBC Olympics shows on my HR20. When I observe the problem on the recording made on the HR34 Genie, I then play back the HR20, and there is no problem at that same point of the recording. So the broadcast signal seems clean, and the Genie seems to be causing the problem.

I had to reboot the Genie last week after a software update to 0x7e5. I had seen this problem before the update and before the re-start, and I still see it after the re-start, so the new software does not seem to have made a difference either way, nor does rebooting seem to improve things. 

I've not seen any problems with recordings made on channels other than NBC. However, the Genie is a relative new addition (a few months) and I still make most of my recordings on the HR20 (with a large external drive), so I'm not confident saying that NBC is the only channel that causes this problem for me.

Antony.

HR20-700 DVR
R15 DVR
Sony SAT-A2 receiver

#71 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

yep, I am having the same issue that kmattoo described above.

Edited by mikek, 20 February 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#72 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

I had two recordings freeze tonight. The six pm news on local CBS. Ohio State vs Minnesota basketball game at 6 pm on BTN 610. Two tuners at same time. Later on ESPN the Duke vs Syracuse basketball game froze with 10 seconds to go live. The sound continued. All on HR34 Genie. It has been since mid December that the freezing problem has existed with no solutions.  

#73 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

I called up customer service and told them.  They put it down in my notes and did the typical reset, etc.  Told me to call back when it happened again.  Happened again about 3 days later.  I requested a HR44, but they sent another HR34.  Hopefully this one won't have the issues.

#74 OFFLINE   drehrlich

drehrlich

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

DirecTV finally sent me a replacement Genie.  Unfortunately, it is also an HR34-700.  I am not hold out much hope that this will fix anything.  The person I spoke with said that the problem has been fixed in ALL markets.

#75 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

How can the problem be fixed in all markets if it is a hardware issue? If it is not a hardware issue why is DIRECTV sending out replacement boxes? I received the new release 0x75e Tuesday Feb 18. I have had four freezes both recorded and live since then. Very frustrating. The only sure way to get my recorded shows is to record on two boxes. I don't want to send my HR-34 back unless I'm sure it is a hardware issue. I have it full of recorded programs.

• jennis2613 likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...