Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? DATA COLLECTION

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   eckhart

eckhart

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

In reading the post above where the tech said this issue resulted from a known overheating issue with the HR 34, I can't help but wonder is this is a software problem. My HR 34 performed flawlessly for nearly a year until December. If this were an overheating issue, why didn't it show up before? I wish someone would let us know that they have identified the problem. I hate to swap out for an HR 44 if a fix is imminent.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   jennis2613

jennis2613

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

cable and DirecTV programming will never be in sync.  DirecTV signals have to "travel" much longer to reach your house 

I know cable and Directv will never be in sync. It use to only be several seconds difference not almost 3 minutes.

#63 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanal Winchester Ohio

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

I agree with Eckhart. I had no problem with my HR34 until I received software update 799 on 16 Dec 13. I do not want to swap out my HR34 if it is a software issue. I have it loaded to the max and don't want to lose the good recordings. Again I ask does anyone know if directv is making any progress with fixing this problem. They sure have gotten plenty of send reports and its been almost two months since the last release which appears to have caused the problem.  

#64 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Something is definitely wrong if all of his recordings are starting 3 minutes early and ending 3 minutes before the show ends.

Edited by Beerstalker, 05 February 2014 - 01:23 PM.

• jennis2613 likes this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#65 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

So I've had the same issue for a while now but just ignored it.

I have a bunch of recordings that stop about 1m in.  The audio continues, but the video freezes. I typically just deleted the show and found another showing to record.

Recently a new issue started to occur.  I would start watching a recording and when I ended it and came back to 'live', the video would be stuck at the time I started watching the recording.  Easy enough to fix by just changing the channel.  

Anyone else having that issue?

#66 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

So I've had the same issue for a while now but just ignored it.

I have a bunch of recordings that stop about 1m in.  The audio continues, but the video freezes. I typically just deleted the show and found another showing to record.

Recently a new issue started to occur.  I would start watching a recording and when I ended it and came back to 'live', the video would be stuck at the time I started watching the recording.  Easy enough to fix by just changing the channel.  

Anyone else having that issue?

I take you have already done the basics such as a menu reset?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#67 OFFLINE   CeeBee

CeeBee

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Our freezing/pixelation problems went away about 4 weeks ago.  Here's what happened: I tried to turn on the HR34 in the AM, and nothing happened - didn't respond to the remote, didn't respond to the front panel.  I unplugged the DVR, waited 30 seconds, and re-plugged.  The "running receiver self-check" screen came up immediately, and the DVR went through the normal restart/reset screens.  I missed one recording while it was "dead", but, since that morning, the HR34 has worked great.  The clients also come on noticeably quicker than before, and have been problem-free.  The Genie has been in heavy use throughout those weeks between the end of the NFL season, and watching/recording local news coverage of the awful weather/power outages on multiple channels.

I've had zero freezes or pixelation problems.  Only problem has been that the first recording of the day has twice recorded for 1 minute, then stopped, then resumed as a separate recording a minute later.

(We received the 79e software the week previous (1/7) but had several freeze problems before that morning.)

I have no clue what happened, but I've stopped researching FIOS and the TiVo Roamio for now! 

#68 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

I take you have already done the basics such as a menu reset?

Yes, I went through and did all the tests including the long one last night.

#69 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

Well, happened twice tonight.  Brooklyn 99 wouldn't play and Justified played for 1m and then froze.

Guess I'll call DTV.

#70 OFFLINE   AntonyB

AntonyB

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

I submitted a report.

I see this problem often on NBC XXII Winter Olympics, WHDH channel 7, Boston market, most recently during the 2/19 and 2/18 8PM prime time shows. Many of  the Olympics programs (entire 3 or 4 hour programs) have been totally clean, while others show the symptoms at several points during the course of the show. I cannot see any pattern to that.

I record the same NBC Olympics shows on my HR20. When I observe the problem on the recording made on the HR34 Genie, I then play back the HR20, and there is no problem at that same point of the recording. So the broadcast signal seems clean, and the Genie seems to be causing the problem.

I had to reboot the Genie last week after a software update to 0x7e5. I had seen this problem before the update and before the re-start, and I still see it after the re-start, so the new software does not seem to have made a difference either way, nor does rebooting seem to improve things. 

I've not seen any problems with recordings made on channels other than NBC. However, the Genie is a relative new addition (a few months) and I still make most of my recordings on the HR20 (with a large external drive), so I'm not confident saying that NBC is the only channel that causes this problem for me.

Antony.

HR20-700 DVR
R15 DVR
Sony SAT-A2 receiver

#71 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

yep, I am having the same issue that kmattoo described above.

Edited by mikek, 20 February 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#72 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

I had two recordings freeze tonight. The six pm news on local CBS. Ohio State vs Minnesota basketball game at 6 pm on BTN 610. Two tuners at same time. Later on ESPN the Duke vs Syracuse basketball game froze with 10 seconds to go live. The sound continued. All on HR34 Genie. It has been since mid December that the freezing problem has existed with no solutions.  

#73 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

I called up customer service and told them.  They put it down in my notes and did the typical reset, etc.  Told me to call back when it happened again.  Happened again about 3 days later.  I requested a HR44, but they sent another HR34.  Hopefully this one won't have the issues.

#74 OFFLINE   drehrlich

drehrlich

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

DirecTV finally sent me a replacement Genie.  Unfortunately, it is also an HR34-700.  I am not hold out much hope that this will fix anything.  The person I spoke with said that the problem has been fixed in ALL markets.

#75 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

How can the problem be fixed in all markets if it is a hardware issue? If it is not a hardware issue why is DIRECTV sending out replacement boxes? I received the new release 0x75e Tuesday Feb 18. I have had four freezes both recorded and live since then. Very frustrating. The only sure way to get my recorded shows is to record on two boxes. I don't want to send my HR-34 back unless I'm sure it is a hardware issue. I have it full of recorded programs.

• jennis2613 likes this

#76 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

Am sending a report now.  We had a lot of this nonsense last fall, and REALLY bad on Amazing Race on CBS 6. We are in the Portland area.

Then it went away.  Until tonight when Amazing Race started up and it is completely unwatchable.

We have been letting the disk get a little more full.  We have 77% free on our HR34-700.

I called DirecTV and they said everything is working normally :(

Thank you for collecting this information but I am about fed up paying @directv for this level of service.  

#77 OFFLINE   capnp72

capnp72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJohnsburg, IL

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

I'm getting a lot of pixelation watching Rehab Addict on DIY network.  Resetting the HR-44 had no effect.

#78 OFFLINE   drehrlich

drehrlich

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

How can the problem be fixed in all markets if it is a hardware issue? If it is not a hardware issue why is DIRECTV sending out replacement boxes? I received the new release 0x75e Tuesday Feb 18. I have had four freezes both recorded and live since then. Very frustrating. The only sure way to get my recorded shows is to record on two boxes. I don't want to send my HR-34 back unless I'm sure it is a hardware issue. I have it full of recorded programs.

Because they are lying to their customers.  So far, so good.  But only time will tell.

#79 OFFLINE   drehrlich

drehrlich

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Watching a recording of BBC World News America (WPSU, Ch 3, 1800 US Eastern) started pixelating and freezing. The is the replacement HR34-700 that was put into service on Sunday 2/23/2014.

SENDREPORT 20140226-263C

#80 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

So much for this problem being a hardware issue. I have had two more freezes this week on recorded shows. America Unearthed, channel 271 History2. Last week I had two recordings freeze that were scheduled at the same time. If it were hardware I would have to have two bad tuners. What's the odds of that? I can't believe of all the send reports that have gone to DIRECTV that they haven't resolved this problem. I was having pixelation problems last summer and blaming them on the stations.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...