Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? DATA COLLECTION

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

I have sent many reports over the last couple of months.  Live TV is now freezing constantly.  Recordings are freezing or just going right to the delete popup.  I have two rhetorical questions: (1) how can a dvr that worked for a year with absolutely no issues get this bad, and (2) how can it not be fixed with the numerous reports being generated and sent to engineering?  This is not just NBC any more, or local stations.  This is happening on USA, HGTV, ESPN, ESPN2, Altitude Sports, Fox Sports 2, etc.  I am not one to call and threaten to leave to get things and will not do that now.  I am just leaving once this committment is up.  It is just unacceptable.

+1.  My HR34 worked very well for well over a year, and now all of a sudden freezes on recordings that are now worthless, as well as sometimes when I turn on the tv the channel that it was on the last time is either a black screen as if the tv isn't even on, or sometimes it freezes live tv.  It's happening on more and more recordings, and no matter how many times I reboot the receiver, those recordings are useless.  The only thing that has changed other than the software upgrades is obviously the age of the machine.  But it's not that old... 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Mine was rock solid till sometime in February, not sure what happen but it needs to change.

Michael

My system:
HR44 Genie
HR23-100
(2) R22-100

#103 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Got the service call right now.  He's replacing the 34 with a 44.  He's mentioned that he's seen a lot more 34s having issues and said it's most likely software.  He also said he has a 44 at home and he has some freezing issues w/ live tv as well, but that's the only issue he's seen (not the frozen picture on recordings).

Hopefully this 44 fixes it.  I don't look forward to replugging in all my series recordings again.

#104 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Does anybody know how widespread this problem is and is directv doing anything about it?  The problem seems to be occurring a lot more recently.

#105 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

Does anybody know how widespread this problem is and is directv doing anything about it?  The problem seems to be occurring a lot more recently.

I couldn't say for sure.  But I can tell you that my personal experience is that I never had a problem with my HR34 until the latest software release.  Now I lose about 20% of my recordings as the pictures freezes about 1 minute into them and become unwatchable.  On top of that, sometimes when I turn the TV on the live tv is frozen.  The only fix is to change the channel and then change it back.So if there are more out there like me who have just now started to experience this problem, then it's becoming more widespread.  We're tired of sitting down to watch something we had recorded and had been looking forward to watching, only to get through the first minute or so to find out we won't be able to watch it.  It's really unacceptable.

• Hornnumb2 and jennis2613 like this

#106 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

I couldn't say for sure.  But I can tell you that my personal experience is that I never had a problem with my HR34 until the latest software release.  Now I lose about 20% of my recordings as the pictures freezes about 1 minute into them and become unwatchable.  On top of that, sometimes when I turn the TV on the live tv is frozen.  The only fix is to change the channel and then change it back.So if there are more out there like me who have just now started to experience this problem, then it's becoming more widespread.  We're tired of sitting down to watch something we had recorded and had been looking forward to watching, only to get through the first minute or so to find out we won't be able to watch it.  It's really unacceptable.

Does the picture freeze and the audio continues?

• mapod likes this

#107 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Does the picture freeze and the audio continues?

Yes on recorded shows. On live tv sometimes it's a total freeze and sometimes it's a black screen.

Also, sometimes after watching a recorded show that works, once I hit stop the live show on the channel I was on before hand is messed up. The picture is frozen and the sound is similar to what you would hear on a record player that is skipping. Once I change the channel and go back it resolves itself.

Something is very wrong with this software update.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Edited by KK in CT, 18 March 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#108 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

In the early days of the HR34 when there were some real problems with the box I began setting SL backup recordings on another HD DVR.

My (must see) SL recordings consist of one OTA and one DTV recording on separate boxes and once in a great long while I will need the backup but rarely.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#109 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

Are the 34 and 44 running the same software version?

Michael

My system:
HR44 Genie
HR23-100
(2) R22-100

#110 OFFLINE   MrMichael

MrMichael

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPurcellville, VA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Had this problem and got a replacement 34 sent to me last month.  Its happened again.  I put in an email request through the executive contact form (or whatever its called).  They called me this afternoon to collect my info and I'm calling them back tonight cause they want to run a test on the box when I'm home.  She said the 44's have their own set of problems so replacing the 34 with the 44 might fix this issue but it also then might introduce other issues.  So i'll be calling back tonight so they can collect the data.  My wife says that a bunch of channels were locking up last night while she was trying to watch tv not just recordings.

#111 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

HR44-700 I've had 2 recordings on playback freeze Friday & Saturday. 0x7e5 is the current software version.

I have been on 0x808 since Mar 13th and the freeze continues at least once every 2 days. I have not lost any recordings (thankfully), I do not use an external drive either. The freeze occurs on live tv and recorded playback. The entire unit freezes, can't change channel, access menus. Usually comes back within 20 seconds...I'm sure they will fix the glitch with the next software release, or before they swap out all the 34's;-)

#112 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanal Winchester Ohio

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

I don't believe it is a hardware issue. Too many customers have swapped out their 34s and still have the problem. Don't hold your breath expecting the next software release to fix the problem. The problem seems to be more widespread with each new release. I am sure the DTV technical staff are doing their best to solve the problem but as of right now I don't believe they have a clue.

#113 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

I don't believe it is a hardware issue. Too many customers have swapped out their 34s and still have the problem. Don't hold your breath expecting the next software release to fix the problem. The problem seems to be more widespread with each new release. I am sure the DTV technical staff are doing their best to solve the problem but as of right now I don't believe they have a clue.

That's the problem- they don't seem to know what is actually broken. And the problem isn't easily replicated as it seems to happen randomly, at least for me. It's very hard to fix a software problem like that. Whatever they seem to be doing so far is making things worse as far as I can tell.

#114 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

I may have temporarily cleared the freezing issue (or maybe was a coincidence).

I noticed the freezing on channel 213, so I decided to do a test.  I wanted to see if the problem occurred on all channels.

I started on channel 2, paused the show, played the show.  The video would freeze but the audio would continue.

I continued through all my locals channels.  All HD channels would freeze, but SD channels would not freeze.

By the time I got to the 200s all the freezing had stopped.  I rechecked the channels I tested earlier and now the freezing did not occur.

The main conclusion so far is that the freezing did not occur on any SD channels.

#115 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

That's the problem- they don't seem to know what is actually broken. And the problem isn't easily replicated as it seems to happen randomly, at least for me. It's very hard to fix a software problem like that. Whatever they seem to be doing so far is making things worse as far as I can tell.

I agree they don't really have a clue. I wasn't having a problem with my 34 until the software release of 0x7e5 on 2/13 got to my box. I wouldn't have even associated it with that except for the fact that 3 new NBC shows, Believe, About A boy, and Growing Up Fisher, all premiered about that time and the freezing and video/audio breakup occurs only on those shows. No other issues with any other shows, just those 3 and only on NBC. I don't think that's a coincidence. My HR 22 records them without issue, of course the software is different. As I've read here I suspect the SD channel may not have the issue. I've set my 34 to record a couple episodes on both HD and SD to test this. I've had some on these forums suggest pushing to get a 44 to replace my 34, that seems like swapping one set of problems for another along with the pain in the ass of setting up my series again. For just 3 shows on only one network, it isn't worth it. I can always just record those 3 on SD and hopefully avoid the problem. And maybe the 808 software will fix it for me but probably introduce other issues.

I've been with Directv for 15 years and every HD dvr has had significant problems. Either this is not stable technology or DTV  doesn't have the expertise to deal with it. With the amount of money that I as well as most of you are spending every month, other options are beginning to look better and better. I have internet and phone service with Comcast, I could get a break in cost for a couple of years by switching tv service to them as well. Or look at Dish. I've seen videos that show their dvr guide interface is superior ( much faster ) than DTV's. If their equipment has just as many other problems then I'll just conclude that the technology isn't stable and maybe just go to off the air and pick up other programs from different sources that are stable.

• jennis2613 likes this

#116 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

Nice form..thanks

I submitted my report tonight.

I had called DTV back in Oct about this.  It did seem to go away but now today it's back.  Local CBS 11am (EST) recording is unwatchable.

I called tonight told them about the form and was told they would escalate my report and to call back if it happens again.

I guess I'll be back on the phone tomorrow,

#117 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:05 AM

Waitng on a callback from dtv. Are we here in this forum making this stuff up? Dtv makes it sound like I'm the only person with this problem. Now they feel it's my local broadcasters problem.

#118 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

I wasn't having a problem with my 34 until the software release of 0x7e5 on 2/13 got to my box. I wouldn't have even associated it with that except for the fact that 3 new NBC shows, Believe, About A boy, and Growing Up Fisher, all premiered about that time and the freezing and video/audio breakup occurs only on those shows. No other issues with any other shows, just those 3 and only on NBC. I don't think that's a coincidence. My HR 22 records them without issue, of course the software is different. As I've read here I suspect the SD channel may not have the issue. I've set my 34 to record a couple episodes on both HD and SD to test this. I've had some on these forums suggest pushing to get a 44 to replace my 34, that seems like swapping one set of problems for another along with the pain in the ass of setting up my series again. For just 3 shows on only one network, it isn't worth it. I can always just record those 3 on SD and hopefully avoid the problem. And maybe the 808 software will fix it for me but probably introduce other issues.

I'm updating my issue. Since my 34 received the 808 software the problem NBC shows have recorded and played back without issue. I had suspected this was software related, either that or DTV finally got their act together. Anyway the issue seems resolved for me now.

#119 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

Last night I had a new issue pop up on my HR34.  We went to watch a show we had recorded from the local NBC station (that station hadn't given us problems in the past like others had).  When we selected it to play, it was stuck in a waiting status for about a minute, then came back with an error something to the effect that the receiver didn't receive any audio or video packets.  We checked VOD but the most recent show wasn't available yet, looked at apple tv but they wanted to charge for it.  So went to another TV with an HR24 and for the heck of it tried the same recording and it played without issue.  No idea why.  Our HR34 did receive the latest software release on 3/27.  Also, we have now been experiencing an issue where almost every time we turn on the HR34 now, there is a blank screen as if it's not on.  If we hit the guide button that will come up, but no picture or sound until we change a channel, which is very slow to respond (seems like about 30 seconds).  So things seem to be getting worse as the software updates keep rolling out.  It's getting to the point now where my wife is really pushing me to call Comcast.

#120 OFFLINE   FriscoJohnny

FriscoJohnny

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

Woke up to my HR34 showing no audio or video this morning.  It was responsive to remote commands, so I gave it a soft reset.  When it came back up, most channels were showing as not subscribed.  I reauthorized it via D* website.  Channels are now available again, although Channels-I-Get are not yet back to normal (shows most are not subscribed).  

I then went to start a couple of news programs that begin recording at 5 AM CDT.  Both have video freeze at about 5 seconds in.  Therefore, it makes me believe that the HR34 failed in some way right at about 5 AM.  

Anyone else experience this today?

#121 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Called dtv again tonight.  they tried to tell me this is a broadcaster problem and had no idea when it would be resolved.  i then reminded them that i've had this problem since Oct 2013.  they then re-escalated it to a higher level...?  what do i have to do to get a genie that can record wihout breaking up??

#122 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,898 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Called dtv again tonight.  they tried to tell me this is a broadcaster problem and had no idea when it would be resolved.  i then reminded them that i've had this problem since Oct 2013.  they then re-escalated it to a higher level...?  what do i have to do to get a genie that can record wihout breaking up??

We have said this ad nauseam, the best way to get an HR44 is to have a service tech dispatched to your house 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#123 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:29 AM

We have said this ad nauseam, the best way to get an HR44 is to have a service tech dispatched to your house

Kinda hard to do when dtv keeps escalating the issue.

#124 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

I was having the problem on my 34 with several NBC shows. I saw the same advice to demand a 44. I also saw people who had 44s and were seeing the same issues, on NBC as well. But I think some may see it with other networks also. And it varies by city/location. So it probably is a broadcaster problem with how their feed is picked up by DTV. But whose equipment? Since the 808 update the shows I was having the problem with are now fine. So my guess is a 44 is not going to resolve your issue. It varies by location and by software so swapping boxes seems like the nuclear option, and what a pain in the ass when/if you have a large number of series links to set up again.

My problems with the NBC shows started in February when my box got the prior software update. Then I got 808 less than a month later. I'm assuming they know they have a software problem but don't quite know how to resolve it. 808 seems to have taken care of the 3 series I was having the issue with, however I was watching a recording of another series this week that I had never had a problem with and it was breaking up. So I'll see how things go from here. But personally, replacing a box because of an issue with just a couple of shows on one network would be a solution far worse than the problem. And 44s are not without their own major issues with no advantages for me. My plan, if the problem recurs or should worsen, is to demand some credits on my bill. I would only accept a replacement box if the issue broadened to other networks and other shows that I record.

#125 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

I was having the problem on my 34 with several NBC shows. I saw the same advice to demand a 44. I also saw people who had 44s and were seeing the same issues, on NBC as well. But I think some may see it with other networks also. And it varies by city/location. So it probably is a broadcaster problem with how their feed is picked up by DTV. But whose equipment? Since the 808 update the shows I was having the problem with are now fine. So my guess is a 44 is not going to resolve your issue. It varies by location and by software so swapping boxes seems like the nuclear option, and what a pain in the ass when/if you have a large number of series links to set up again.

My problems with the NBC shows started in February when my box got the prior software update. Then I got 808 less than a month later. I'm assuming they know they have a software problem but don't quite know how to resolve it. 808 seems to have taken care of the 3 series I was having the issue with, however I was watching a recording of another series this week that I had never had a problem with and it was breaking up. So I'll see how things go from here. But personally, replacing a box because of an issue with just a couple of shows on one network would be a solution far worse than the problem. And 44s are not without their own major issues with no advantages for me. My plan, if the problem recurs or should worsen, is to demand some credits on my bill. I would only accept a replacement box if the issue broadened to other networks and other shows that I record.

Thanks

FWIW....my HR34 has the 808 update and the problem remains.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...