Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? DATA COLLECTION

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

Mine Hr34 just started this within the last 5 days, it has been flawless before then. That what suck with them trying to get you down to one dvr, totally screws you when it flops. So are they replacing the 34s with 44s. Michael

Michael

My system:
HR44 Genie
HR23-100
(2) R22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

HR34 running 0x7e5 since 2/13/14. The CBS recording of Survivor tonight had heavy pixelization starting at the 11 minute mark. I've seen this a few times over the past 2 weeks at the beginning of the NBC prime time Olympic recordings, but tonight's issue was much worse. I haven't watched the entire recording yet, but the problems have continued for the first 30 minutes of the recording, which hasn't happened for me before. When I've seen this issue before, it would be in the first 5-10 minutes, and the rest of the recording would be fine.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#83 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

I have the dreaded HR34/NBC freezing/pixelation issue.    That's the only pixelation problem I have.    Seems to have gotten more frequent recently.  Do you want this issue recorded here?

#84 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

The CBS recording of Survivor tonight had heavy pixelization starting at the 11 minute mark.

ok!  We have this same recording from Vancouver WA.  We have had NO pixellation and we're at minute 16.  This is very interesting indeed, because Amazing Race last sunday was terrible.  I had a theory it was some data or something.  It may still be.  Maybe CBS' transcoders are triggering this issue and they act differently from different parts of the country because we're looking at different satellites.

Or maybe it is heat related, or something like that.  

#85 OFFLINE   drehrlich

drehrlich

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

DirecTV is ending out a `top' case management technician to the house.  I will post an update after the visit.

#86 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,281 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

DirecTV is ending out a `top' case management technician to the house.  I will post an update after the visit.

that's just wrong.  keep us posted 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#87 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

I had the same problem with my recording of Survivor this week. I have had this issue before with Survivor, it seems to occur frequently on my HR34. I have to double record the show so I watch the recording from my other HR24, it never gets the same pixilation as seen on my HR34.

Strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :bang

#88 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

I had the same problem with my recording of Survivor this week. I have had this issue before with Survivor, it seems to occur frequently on my HR34. I have to double record the show so I watch the recording from my other HR24, it never gets the same pixilation as seen on my HR34.

Strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang

Yes, I have also set up a double-recording of Survivor on my HR20, will report back next week to compare the two recordings.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#89 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

Are any of you with issues using DECAs? I am using that to pass Ethernet from upstairs to downstairs.

#90 OFFLINE   drehrlich

drehrlich

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

DirecTV is ending out a `top' case management technician to the house. I will post an update after the visit.

Tech got here ~8:15am. Checked the dish installation, checked signal levels. Declared all to be good. He replaced the HR34-700 with an HR44-200. Now I get to wait a day for the guide to download and set up my recordings again.

Couple of tidbits. He said the HR34 was rushed to be out ahead of the Dish Hopper. The HR44 is supposed to be what they really wanted to do.

New equipment coming that allows transfer of recordings and upcoming scheduled recordings when replacing a unit. Also, one with a swappable hard drive.

It took the replacement HR34 four days to fail. Hope the HR44 is really the answer.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#91 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanal Winchester Ohio

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

That sounds to good to be true. I still find it hard to believe the problem is hardware. I hate to be so cynical but DIRECTV is pushing me to the end. It's frustrating to have to record everything show twice to make sure I get it.

#92 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNogales, Arizona

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'm not having nearly as many issues as some of you are having, but lately I have been noticing more frequent issues. During the Olympics both the Genie and client were experiencing severe pixelation on NBC. I've had a few recordings freeze video on playback but continuing audio. I thought it was a rare occurrence, but seeing as to how many of you are having issues like this, I'll keep a closer eye on this. 

HR34-700, HR22-100, C31 x3

#93 OFFLINE   riprecked

riprecked

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

My HR34 is a mess first on CBS for the last six months or so and now it has started on NBC.  All other channels are fine.

I've moved the CBS recordings to my HR24 and is works fine.

Sadly it looks like I'll have to call DirecTV support which I hate calling.  That or I just buy an HR44 on my own and return the HR34.

#94 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

HR44-700 I've had 2 recordings on playback freeze Friday & Saturday. 0x7e5 is the current software version.

#95 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Is there going to be any resolution to this, I had 2 different programs act up this week. One froze and the other went straight to delete. I sure feel sorry for people that don't have other DVRs to record on. Can't we just roll back software if thats the problem. Michael

Michael

My system:
HR44 Genie
HR23-100
(2) R22-100

#96 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

The freezing recordings seem to happen for me on local stations more but also on cable networks. But haven't really noticed this until the last update we received in February. My wife has about had it though.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#97 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

Inquiring minds want to know: Is this problem occurring on Genies using external HDDs as well as boxes just using the internal HDD?

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#98 OFFLINE   drehrlich

drehrlich

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

Is there going to be any resolution to this, I had 2 different programs act up this week. One froze and the other went straight to delete. I sure feel sorry for people that don't have other DVRs to record on. Can't we just roll back software if thats the problem. Michael

Given that DirecTV has yet to admit there is a problem, I would not hold my breath. Calling them any time it happens and insist on a fix. Also, @DIRECTVService on twitter is a good place to vent.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#99 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:37 PM

My replacement 34 has started the freezing issues.  I called DTV and spent an hour trying to get them to send me a 44.  No luck yet.  I have another call in the morning to make.

#100 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

I have sent many reports over the last couple of months.  Live TV is now freezing constantly.  Recordings are freezing or just going right to the delete popup.  I have two rhetorical questions: (1) how can a dvr that worked for a year with absolutely no issues get this bad, and (2) how can it not be fixed with the numerous reports being generated and sent to engineering?  This is not just NBC any more, or local stations.  This is happening on USA, HGTV, ESPN, ESPN2, Altitude Sports, Fox Sports 2, etc.  I am not one to call and threaten to leave to get things and will not do that now.  I am just leaving once this committment is up.  It is just unacceptable.

Edited by aldiesel, 13 March 2014 - 06:53 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...