Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio Popping during many functions . . .

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

I get a pop in the audio when I use Skip Forward, Skip Back, Pause, go to the guide or any access windows where the picture gets moved up into the upper left corner. It even happens when I press the Skip button repeatedly quickly before the picture changes. And it pops with each press as the little "skip 10" flashes. I have tried various inputs on my AVR trying to track this down. But it's all the same.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   mthhurley

mthhurley

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

Mine does this on my slightly older Sharp HD set via HDMI. That set is connected via a Joey. My other 3 tvs (2 Hoppers and one Joey) do not do this.

#3 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

I did a further test because I mainly use my DLP as a monitor only and not a total viewing device with all audio going through the AVR. All tests with many and any hook up options all had a pop of some kind that I did not experience with the 722 that I had since September 2008. It's tracing to when the HwS dumps the program codec to stereo for a second during the skip, pause, picture change processes. I have noticed that the codec type changes on the display on my AVR during these operations when the pop happens. The AVR is 9 months old, while the DLP is 5 years old. But they all pop. Well more of a record tick. I'm thinking it's a HwS bug, because it's the only piece of gear in the system that does this.

#4 OFFLINE   j_t

j_t

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

I also had this same issue on my HiSense TV, but none of the others. I was able to get rid of the popping by changing the Audio settings on the Hopper or Joey (whichever is connected the TV)  from Dolby Surround to PCM only.

#5 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

Although my AVR is PCM capable, I have noticed that with all the HD boxes from DISH that I have had, PCM is a fleeting thing. It only works with Optical Out, or you get nothing, or you lose Surround Sound and only get stereo from the AVR. I've played with that before posting here and have also found that it depends on the product you are viewing and what they are sending it as and what DISH is passing on. It varies.

ALSO, lately I have really noticed that the volume from channel to channel can be deadly. And this is a DISH and network issue. There instances where it's just the networks and DISH does not accommodate the difference. Like having Aljazzera tune in and watching a recorded program and when it's over or you go to the DVR and the AJ audio hits, it HITS. But then there's the ones like Comedy Central, where they have some on their programming in Stereo and when it goes to a SS commercial you get blown out. So with all this it makes the CALM Act a moot point. Plus I have noticed that commercials are louder now. So not only is a moot point, but a null one.

#6 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

I did a further test because I mainly use my DLP as a monitor only and not a total viewing device with all audio going through the AVR. All tests with many and any hook up options all had a pop of some kind that I did not experience with the 722 that I had since September 2008. It's tracing to when the HwS dumps the program codec to stereo for a second during the skip, pause, picture change processes. I have noticed that the codec type changes on the display on my AVR during these operations when the pop happens. The AVR is 9 months old, while the DLP is 5 years old. But they all pop. Well more of a record tick. I'm thinking it's a HwS bug, because it's the only piece of gear in the system that does this.

I have this when my audio was though HDMI.  My processor let me use the video from HDMI, but use the audio from an optical connection.  Since there  is only lossy audio from the hopper anyhow, I was OK with this "patch".

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#7 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

I have this when my audio was though HDMI.  My processor let me use the video from HDMI, but use the audio from an optical connection.  Since there  is only lossy audio from the hopper anyhow, I was OK with this "patch".

That's the way I had it before I got the HDMI AVR. I have all the cabling to do optical and probably will since as you point out there is only one audio source. I have seen other posts where people are having this or similar issues and they are being told that there is a fix in the next SW release. Of which I submitted a report to a product services rep that "shot it up the ladder". And I included links to the others with issues. So we'll see if there is a "patch" in the next release. Until then I guess that optical is the only course until it's fixed.

Thanks . . .

. . . fb

#8 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

I ran a TOS cable from the DVR and my AVR and after some "creative finagling" I got the AVR to pull the optical audio, it wanted keep pulling it from the HDMI, and the pop is still there. I did noticed that the audio did sound a bit better. It would play through any input selection where the input port is selected for that input type. So even though there was no picture with it I tried it on several inputs and got the pop with all.

So I would like to say that it's all the Pioneer AVR, but since it only happens with the DISH HwS, it is a DISH issue. That I understand is known, I told them, and is suppose to be addressed in a future FW update. So we'll see.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...