Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Amazon shooting 2014 original series lineup in 4K

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,590 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

Amazon shooting 2014 original series lineup in 4K

Set top boxes everywhere just cried out in agony. Amazon announced this morning that its full lineup of 2014 series will be shot in 4K. The retailer-turned-TV-studio likely considers the move a bit of future-proofing, given the limited options for actually watching such shows in their intended resolution.

amazon-studios-612.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

If they can get Sammy, Sony and a few others to allow downloads from Amazon to play on their 4k TV's, then we've got future proofing and a few bits and pieces for right now. Or at least, soon!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

This seems like an odd thing to be "news"... and I'm not criticizing Athlon for posting it...  it is in fact news, so he was right to post it!  I'm criticizing that it conceptually will be received as news by a lot of people.

It is great that they will shoot with 4K instead of 1080p digital cameras...

BUT

I Love Lucy was future proofed by being shot on film...  way before I was born and before anyone even thought about the 4K HDTVs hitting the market now.

So...  if they really wanted to future-proof, they could be shooting with film.

• jimkofla likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Digital is getting to the point of surpassing film in The Industry, as it has in still photography, a few very specialized cases  being exceptions.

And well done film has a superb picture, beats the pants off the video taping that was done for tons of TV shows based on cost- and that no one foresaw that SD was only a waypoint on TV delivery. 

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

You mean surpassing in terms of usage. I'd actually guess we are way past that to its by far the dominant form especially for the big studios. However it's still and never will be as good a picture down to the last detail as film was. Even if it was 8k.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

I heartily disagree with the quality issue. It'a a matter of physics. 

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Yes and because of physics it's impossible for digital To ever be as true as film. What you see vs reality may be different and you may not be able to tell but technically film will always be better. The problem Is keeping it better and the massively lower cost of digital.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

You're talking theoretically: if there were a perfect resolution film, then digital couldn't quite match it. But film is far from perfect. 

Digital has overtaken film as to PQ, but not to such a degree that it's pervasive. In fact, HQ HD is rare, but it is better than all but the most specialized and expensive of films. 

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

And ill say that's just not true.  film will never have the stair step affect and other issues that are not possible to get rid of with digital...

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

What can you offer by way of specifics? Or hands on experience? 

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,417 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

Not to get into the middle of the argument, but everyone's eye/brain "hardware/software" is different. In the end, quality determinations are made based on how that software processes the nerve impulses created by light from the "screen" passing through two imperfect lenses and received and transmitted by an imperfect nervous system. At some point the eye/brain really isn't objectively "seeing" the picture but rather subjectively interpreting it.

Many manufacturers tout their black blacks. Black is the absence of light, something that humans experience in few situations. What I want to "see" in most movies where the scene is dark is a rather "muddied" rgb low-level mashup, something that film can render well. I think my poor old brain frequently "sees" that in digital recordings where it doesn't exist.

I have to measure "realistic" based on what I "see" in the forest around me or while at the beach or in my home or in a hotel room. And then I have to consider what the director wanted me to "see" which if he/she were honest might not have been "captured" by the medium used.

Personally because of my age and vision, "improvements" in video presentation that add to my enjoyment in 99% of what's being created out there ceased to be meaningful beyond 720p/1080i unless we're talking about the commercial large screen movie theater. So even though I'm an Amazon Prime customer, I'm not impressed if it means I'm paying more because of the higher level of technology.

Edited by phrelin, 28 December 2013 - 03:57 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Right! Ultimate satisfaction to the individual is what counts, and subjectivity is a huge factor, one that tips the balance in favor of one flavor over an other. 

But technology marches on, and pretty soon they'll make the blacks so black that it'll suck in other light waves, and become the black hole of Living Rooms! 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...