Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network Teams With Sprint In Wireless Broadband Test

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,239 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Looks like the companies have buried the hatchet after Dish Network’s failed challenge this year to bids by Japan’s SoftBank for Sprint Nextel and Clearwire.  Dish and Sprint said today that they will jointly test a fixed wireless broadband service in Corpus Christi, Texas that they expect to make available in mid-2014 “with a plan to expand into additional markets in the future.” Dish will offer customers an outdoor router or “an indoor solution” with high-gain antennas that can access the Internet via the 4G TDD-LTE signal on Sprint’s 2.5 GHz spectrum.

DishNetwork__130702025735-200x151__13091

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

I wish they'd do these tests in more challenging markets - like out here in the sticks.

I can almost physically see three cell towers and I get decent service with a booster.  With their high gain antennas I'd probably be fine.

Most of this area does not get DSL at all.  Those of us that do are limited to 3Mb or less.  This would be a great testbed for a WISP.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,656 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

They test where they are more likely to make money selling the service.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Looks like the companies have buried the hatchet after Dish Network’s failed challenge this year to bids by Japan’s SoftBank for Sprint Nextel and Clearwire.  Dish and Sprint said today that they will jointly test a fixed wireless broadband service in Corpus Christi, Texas that they expect to make available in mid-2014 “with a plan to expand into additional markets in the future.” Dish will offer customers an outdoor router or “an indoor solution” with high-gain antennas that can access the Internet via the 4G TDD-LTE signal on Sprint’s 2.5 GHz spectrum.

DishNetwork__130702025735-200x151__13091

I had Sprint fixed Internet in the 90's. They put an antenna on my roof and it was cool. It didn't last long though.

ZoomButt.gif

Edited by Paul Secic, 18 December 2013 - 11:17 AM.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall