Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why I returned my Xbox One

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

I was walking thru Target on Sunday morning, and saw an Xbox One just sitting there. I'm an electronic geek, so I bought it. I took it back for a refund today. Here's why 1. The integration with TV is quite poorly done. The guide is almost worthless. For example, the D* PPV channels all were missing information. There is no way to record a show from the Xbox. 2. The PQ just isn't as good as straight from my D* receiver. 3. The BluRay player isn't as good as my Oppo 4. Xbox Live is required for everything. 5. Xbox Live Arcade has been killed off. 6. The speech recognition is very slow 7. The Kinect motion sensor never really worked and I tried everything to make it work 8. The NBA 2K14 game graphics were awe inspiring. However the game play was no better than a 360. 9. The value proposition just wasn't there for me. YMMV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

Every complaint you mentioned has been discussed and known since the xbox one was first revealed. Google always helps and could have saved you the trouble.

#3 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

Nice review. I've heard the XBone graphics support up to 900p (1600x900), which was deemed "good enough"

-=K=-

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

I was walking thru Target on Sunday morning, and saw an Xbox One just sitting there. I'm an electronic geek, so I bought it. I took it back for a refund today. Here's why 1. The integration with TV is quite poorly done. The guide is almost worthless. For example, the D* PPV channels all were missing information. There is no way to record a show from the Xbox. 2. The PQ just isn't as good as straight from my D* receiver. 3. The BluRay player isn't as good as my Oppo 4. Xbox Live is required for everything. 5. Xbox Live Arcade has been killed off. 6. The speech recognition is very slow 7. The Kinect motion sensor never really worked and I tried everything to make it work 8. The NBA 2K14 game graphics were awe inspiring. However the game play was no better than a 360. 9. The value proposition just wasn't there for me. YMMV

1.  I found the guide to work perfect with Directv.....are you sure you completely set it up correctly?  It was never meant to allow you to record tv to the XBOX as least with Directv.....

2.  I found the PQ to be identical, its a pass-through....

3.  DUH...Many of the Oppo's are among the absolute top rated players available, you knew that or you wouldn't own one.

4.  DUH

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Nice review. I've heard the XBone graphics support up to 900p (1600x900), which was dee :rolling: med "good enough"

-=K=-

you might want to put an space there...  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

you might want to put an space there...  

That is kind of the nickname for it...the XBone..... :righton:

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

That is kind of the nickname for it...the XBone..... :righton:

My son's still talking to the thing.  Every time I walk by I say, "Xbox shut off", drives him nuts.  Little victories count too.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

My son's still talking to the thing. Every time I walk by I say, "Xbox shut off", drives him nuts. Little victories count too.

Rich

does it actually goes off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

does it actually goes off?

I dunno, I usually do it on the stairs and he just yells.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

I dunno, I usually do it on the stairs and he just yells.

Rich

thats hilarious

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

He blocked my voice somehow!  Now the Xbox only answers his commands.  He said every time I told the Xbox to shut off it came up with a menu that asked if he really wanted to shut it off.  Lost another battle.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

I bought one for my son for XMAS and just had to have Amazon ship me a replacement unit.  The box seemed to be running fine, and then I tried to play a DVD a a couple of weeks ago.  After I put in the DVD, I started getting the dreaded "Please insert a DVD or valid Xbox game message."  Figurign I had nothing to lose, I did a reset to factory defaults and it started working again.  However, last week it started up again.  It didn't do the long grinding noise so many people have posted on the Internet, but it would do a slight grinding noise when I would insert a game or DVD.  After failing the second time, I went online to Amazon and started the return/replacement process.  We then turned it off and my son went back to his 360.  Just for grins, we turned it on the next day and it was working fine. Thankfully Amazon's return policy is top notch and they shipped us a new one with 2 day shipping.  The frustrating part of it was that it was sporadic.  

Overall it's a decent console.  The one thing I think is annoying is that you can only play online with people that have the same console (i.e. Xbox One with Xbox One or Xbox 360 with Xbox 360).  So my son and his friends have to call each other and then agree which console they are going to use before they go to Xbox Online.  We're not running our DirecTV through it, but we do have the 360 plugged into the HDMI In port.  That way, my son doesn't have to flip the input on the TV to go between both consoles.  Instead, he just snaps the TV app in and out when he wants to switch.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

Protected By... spam firewall...And...