Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The music on NCIS and Newtown Kindness

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

If you watched this weeks "NCIS" you heard in the background a moving song Nothing More by The Alternate Routes featuring Lily Costner (yes, she's Kevin Costner's daughter, but more).

The song was written to give publicity to the goals of the organization Newtown Kindness, Created in remembrance of Charlotte Helen Bacon, one of the children who died tragically on December 14, 2012 with her friends and classmates at Sandy Hook Elementary School. From the organization's web site:

Our mission is to promote kindness as a guiding principle of humanity. Newtown Kindness is committed to fostering compassion in children and inspiring life-long contributors to society.

The organization aims to facilitate acts of kindness within communities as well as raise awareness of kindness through education, sharing and recognition.

In the videos below first the reason the song was written is explained and the second video is the result of the effort.

Share this with your family and friends - maybe make your own video which is what they suggest. The song is available for download at iTunes and Amazon.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Newtown Kindness web site offers materials supporting the Kindness program in schools. Click on the little icon at the top right of the home page.

Edited by phrelin, 18 December 2013 - 12:16 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

There is actually already in place a very effective educational system covering 1,000,000 kids and 40,000 teachers and growing that fosters empathy, kindness, eliminates bullying and dramatically reduces violence. It's called Responsive Classroom and Social-Emotional Learning. It fosters a supportive social school environment that tends to eliminate angry, isolated loners and prevent future Dylan Kleybolds and Adam Lanzas. Those rage-fueled punks wouldn't have been affected one iota by Kindness Buckets. But being raised up in RC/SEL classrooms from the getgo would have made a world of difference.

Interesting Newtown Kindness blatantly ignores the central issue of gun control. I'm sure the NRA gives generously.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

There is actually already in place a very effective educational system covering 1,000,000 kids and 40,000 teachers and growing that fosters empathy, kindness, eliminates bullying and dramatically reduces violence. It's called Responsive Classroom and Social-Emotional Learning. It fosters a supportive social school environment that tends to eliminate angry, isolated loners and prevent future Dylan Kleybolds and Adam Lanzas. Those rage-fueled punks wouldn't have been affected one iota by Kindness Buckets. But being raised up in RC/SEL classrooms from the getgo would have made a world of difference.

Interesting Newtown Kindness blatantly ignores the central issue of gun control. I'm sure the NRA gives generously.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but encouraging children to regularly engage in acts of kindness is a positive way of building empathy within the next generation and in the process engaging their older relatives in the subject.

Yes, RC/SEL classrooms can help to identify angry, isolated loners, though it tends to depend upon already overworked teachers and has its associated bureaucracy and professional jargon created outside the lives of the kids. Whether RC/SEL in practice will eliminate the angry, isolated loners is another question.

Regarding the gun control issue, I share your opinion that we don't do enough and, in fact, do too much "in your face" about guns which indicates we're a bit of a sickly fearful society. But I have to point out this description about the most recent school shooting in Colorado:

...Pierson entered the building with his legally purchased shotgun, ammunition, a machete and backpack containing incendiary devices, according Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson.

In this situation, the shotgun was not a weapon proposed for significant regulation.

What the Newton Kindness organization advocates is creating within children the ability to see other individual children who need some kindness in their lives and then go the extra step by offering it. Even the NRA doesn't oppose that.

That's what the music is about. And the "NCIS" folks gave it a chance. Kudos to them.

I hope people will watch the videos above, as these young adults are trying to make a difference by engaging others.

Edited by phrelin, 18 December 2013 - 11:12 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

No question encouraging kindness and empathy and gun control and safety among children are all good things. And no question leaving an arsenal of mass-murdering assault weapons out for your psychotic son to play with is probably just a tad irresponsible.

It's great that folks are making themselves feel better through sharing love and niceness, it's all part of the healing process. But prevention of future crimes of this sort requires a much more comprehensive set of systemic tools from the school environment including psych assessment to the home gun locker to gun shows and private sales. It's time to get serious about actual remedies and stop pretending that a little band-aid here and there to treat the symptoms is going to get at the root problems. It's a complex societal issue, and its time for America to pull its Big Boy pants on and finally deal with it as if we were a civilized and informed nation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...