Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2014 rate increase email

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

New link:

http://www.satellite...679#post3330679

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'm glad I was changing my package at the beginning of January. No increase in money coming from me instead I will be saving 5 dollars compared to what I'm paying now,

Edited by mshaw2715, 19 December 2013 - 03:17 PM.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Dish's revenue, whether it's calculated per subscriber or as a total, doesn't interest me. My revenue determines what I do and I dropped to the AT120 package a while back.

I do miss the days when I wasn't obligated to pay for locals. It's weird knowing that I could drop the whole works and these days we would be able to watch by streaming 70% of what we watch at no cost but our ISP bill (which we pay anyway so I can post here :sure:) - except we'd have to watch commercials like we did a few decades ago. But we wouldn't have to watch the shows in a linear fashion like we did back then.

What I haven't determined is what my costs would be to stream through Amazon or Netflix shows from HBO, Showtime, Starz, and some basic cable channels, show episodes which won't be available within the live airing season and won't be free when they become available. And I'd have to risk not living long enough to see some I might enjoy. wink.gif

But let's face it, there are so many options it's almost confusing.

I do resent every penny I have to pay to the local broadcast channels and broadcast networks. I'm from the generation that believed the license for a local channel was a government required license to use my airways. I had no idea we were licensing conglomerates like News Corp to tax me for the privilege of being able to pay Showtime to watch "Homeland." :nono2:

Edited by phrelin, 19 December 2013 - 06:51 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#24 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

They call that "Double Dipping" which an old satellite friend used to say. OTA TV stations do not seem to get enough of the pie to pay the bills as there are too many OTA stations on the air, so they try to get a buck from anywhere they can. Some feel that even OTA TV will cost in years to come. It will be PPV. If you want a certain show, you pay so much an episode of a series. But in my book, that would never fly today, but in the future? You have to pay and also sit through the ads. I was without high speed for a number of years until recently. I was quite surprised to find so many ads on You Tube. Back in 2006/2007, they weren't there. I still feel "locals" on Dish or Direct should be an option and it depends on what market the viewer is in what the cost is. Some stations charge less and other charge more. This would keep the pricing down for people that do not want locals and they would still be available the ones that do. I also feel that the Sports channels should also be a separate package, as they charge plenty too. The Premiums are an option and the other high priced stuff should be also.

• tsmacro likes this

#25 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hope nothing else went up for you!

Everything goes up, gas and electric, water ETC.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#26 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

Everything goes up, except wages. 20 years ago our money went a lot farther.

#27 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yes, the problem today is that the wages are not increasing anywhere close to what the prices of things are.  And now that I'm retired I pay lots of attention the prices of things as my income is fairly fixed.

With these latest prices given, my bill will increase about $15 if I don't change some things.  Of course, I will change some things, maybe even more than I need to in order to get the outlay right.

I'll be looking over packages and managing my premiums much more closely I suspect.  I'll also be watching to see what the next 'come back' deals look like with D* and how much they are increasing their rates.

The danger for the pay tv industry with me is that if I have to do without channels I would like to have in order to keep the bill down, I may just hit the tipping point that says "what the hell am I paying anything for just this?" and drop pay tv altogether.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#28 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

Since the beginning (1999 for me), I have bought all of my Dish equipment and installed it myself. I have always done my own work going back to the mid 80s when I installed my big dish in 1985, which I still have. So it has been easy for me to do that. I bought the 211k and the outboard hard drive, so the only thing I ever pay for is the programming. I have only the one HD receiver, no hoppers, etc. I have AT250, Blockbuster, and the super stations for about $90 a month, so the cost will be about $95. Still not inexpensive, but going down to AT200, I would lose channels I watch. Saving $10 a month, it is not worth it to me. I am nearly 65, but I continue to work, owning my business for years. Trying to survive off SS is not to my liking, so as long as my health holds up, I will be working. But as we age, we get more tired by the end of the day. I am in good health, but trying to keep up with all of the price increases everywhere is not fun. Even paying the $95 a month is worth it to me as I get a lot of great channels with Dish. Charter Cable which I do get internet from does not hold a candle to Dish and neither does Direct. I have been a good customer to Dish for years and I do not plan to drop them. Out in the country where I live, we have few choices.I am happy with Dish. By the way, for the channels Charter cable offers, I would pay more and get less. Direct no longer carries the Super stations and many in the Blockbuster pack, so Dish is where I stay. (Even though I do not like price increases)

#29 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:35 AM

Looks like this subscriber is going to have to cut down.  I've been a customer since the Dishplayer 7100 came out.  I went HD several years ago and then upgraded when the Hopper/Joey came out.  I guess I have to decide between nixing Starz, cutting my package or eliminating receivers.  I have a 2H/3J setup - got it before Hoppers could see each other's hard drives.  

#30 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

The way I save money is just having a single 722K to power my 4 TVs.  It's fine for my wife and I, because if we are in two different rooms, we could be watching our own program and we have access to the DVR programs from all 4 TVs.

I have Verizon for phone & Internet and just added locals to reduce my bill further (go figure).  Even with this $5/mo increase, I wouldn't be saving much, if anything, with the FiOS triple play with the comparable HD package, once you add all of the extra receivers that I would need in order to be able to view DVR programs from any TV.  Also, I would lose being able to integrate my OTA antenna into the receiver and watch any of my channels via my iPhone.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#31 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

It's bitter cold outside and my car is covered with ice, so I've been playing some numbers.  Dish may not like what I've come up with.  :(

At AEP or Premier with 2 Hoppers w/Dish and Genie+HRxx, with the published increases I've seen, not only does switching save me money in the first year (about $400) including the ETF and paying $200 for the HRxx, it also save a minor amount in the 2nd year.  All calculations done using the discounts I'm getting now with some premiums from Dish and the new/returning customer from DirecTV.

With these increases, at the top level base sub of AEP+Multi-sports with Dish and Premier from Direct, the difference between the two has shifted from a little in Dish's favor to a little in Direct's favor after contract discounts are over.  ie; full retail pricing.  I was surprised at that and never thought I'd see the day that would happen.

Here's the figures, all numbers after increases kick in:

DirecTV

Premier = $129.99

WH+DVR=$ 15.00  (3 years of HD free essentially)

2nd unit = $   6.00

Total : $150.99

Dish

AEP = $124.99

DVR = $  12.00

Multi-sport = $11.00

2nd Hopper = $12.00

Total : $159.99

I realize there are discounts that can be gotten along the way, but that is true for both services.

One issue that is bothering me, well actually a couple.  Losing my recordings and losing the Hopper.  No matter what anyone else thinks the Hopper is so much better than the HRxx and Genies that I would really miss them.

Lloyd

#32 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

It's bitter cold outside and my car is covered with ice, so I've been playing some numbers.  Dish may not like what I've come up with.   :(

At AEP or Premier with 2 Hoppers w/Dish and Genie+HRxx, with the published increases I've seen, not only does switching save me money in the first year (about $400) including the ETF and paying $200 for the HRxx, it also save a minor amount in the 2nd year.  All calculations done using the discounts I'm getting now with some premiums from Dish and the new/returning customer from DirecTV.

With these increases, at the top level base sub of AEP+Multi-sports with Dish and Premier from Direct, the difference between the two has shifted from a little in Dish's favor to a little in Direct's favor after contract discounts are over.  ie; full retail pricing.  I was surprised at that and never thought I'd see the day that would happen.

DirecTV

Premier = $129.99

WH+DVR=$ 15.00  (3 years of HD free essentially)

2nd unit = $   6.00

Dish

AEP = $124.99

DVR = $  12.00

Multi-sport = $11.00

2nd Hopper = $12.00

I realize there are discounts that can be gotten along the way, but that is true for both services.

One issue that is bothering me, well actually a couple.  Losing my recordings and losing the Hopper.  No matter what anyone else thinks the Hopper is so much better than the HRxx and Genies that I would really miss them.

maybe you should move down to a lower package huh?

#33 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Sure, I could move down to a lower package, but then I would miss shows and events that I like to watch.

I look at it like my furnace and air conditioner at the house.  Sure I could set the thermostat differently and bundle up in winter and strip in summer, but I paid lots of money to have a top quality unit installed.  Why not use it?

Lloyd

#34 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

lpaesons, thanks for the breakdown but remember DirecTV will raise their prices, too.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#35 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

My calculations are based on the unconfirmed DirecTV's price increases coming up.

Lloyd

#36 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

I'm not understanding what your post means. I can show how I save money most anytime, from most any year, to most any other provider with a new customer discount. It has nothing at all to do with this DISH increase you are just confirming that switching does save money at least for a year or two. If no one raised rates this year, you still would save money switching. In fact, if only DISH did not raise rates, and everyone else did, with new customer incentives you would save money switching.

Edited by tampa8, 22 December 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Here's what it means.  Yes, in the 1st year a switch saves money, just generally not as much as the difference will be this time.  But a quickie on the 1st year.  With the ETF of $240, and $199 for a 2nd HDDVR, minus the $200 rebate for the ETF, I still see a cash difference of about $400 in 1st year.

So add the $400 savings in first year and $120 in savings the 2nd year and in 2 years I would save $520 or a bit over $21/month.  That is very significant and I've never seen a switch with that much in savings.

But in the 2nd and subsequent years, D* comes up cheaper than E* with top level base sub w/all premiums and the equipment I noted which would make equivalency.  In this case, 2nd and subsequent years are about $10/month cheaper with D*.  Never saw that before with my 2 TV setup.

And of course, the whole point is that considering the financials and that for what I want to watch, the two services are nearly identical, then switching at the 1 year point makes good financial sense.

Frankly the only other 2 considerations are the equipment and the recorded events I haven't watched yet.  I have to put a value on them.  It just shows one possible solution to the rather large increase that Dish is foisting on us this year.  Roughly a 30% increase in fees alone, not counting the subsciption increase.  That's absurdly high.

Lloyd

#38 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Certainly not defending their increases! lol

Are you taking into the equation the 18 month discount DISH is giving to current Hopper subscribers who are not currently paying the newer fee?

#39 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yes I did for the initial calculations that I posted.

Frankly I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as big as it turns out to be.

Lloyd

#40 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

DirecTV
Premier = $129.99
WH+DVR=$ 15.00 (3 years of HD free essentially)
2nd unit = $ 6.00

Dish
AEP = $124.99
DVR = $ 12.00
Multi-sport = $11.00
2nd Hopper = $12.00

With multisport add on that is not a good comparison, might as well add Directv sport pack for $12.99 which will bring price up to $163.98. And I'm a Directv sub.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

spam firewall