Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2014 rate increase email

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Uh, you need to check D*'s packages.  Premier includes the sports pack as part of the package as well as all the premiums.  Lots of people miss that.

The numbers are right on.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

Either way it's still too much for either providers, as a previous poster said you can do with a lower package if what you said is for your financial interest, But of course it's your choice, like a loan commercial said "It's your money use it when you need it"
For me anyway I'm not feeling the pinch in these increases yet, because I'm paying like a new customer promo price with all these credits they been giving me over the 4 years as a Directv sub, Just like I'm assuming you still have the promo for the package you signed up for. But if I was paying too much I would probably suspend service and try other alternatives for a while (OTA,Roku etc etc). Speaking for myself of course.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#43 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

It's bitter cold outside and my car is covered with ice, so I've been playing some numbers.  Dish may not like what I've come up with.   :(

At AEP or Premier with 2 Hoppers w/Dish and Genie+HRxx, with the published increases I've seen, not only does switching save me money in the first year (about $400) including the ETF and paying $200 for the HRxx, it also save a minor amount in the 2nd year.  All calculations done using the discounts I'm getting now with some premiums from Dish and the new/returning customer from DirecTV.

With these increases, at the top level base sub of AEP+Multi-sports with Dish and Premier from Direct, the difference between the two has shifted from a little in Dish's favor to a little in Direct's favor after contract discounts are over.  ie; full retail pricing.  I was surprised at that and never thought I'd see the day that would happen.

Here's the figures, all numbers after increases kick in:

DirecTV

Premier = $129.99

WH+DVR=$ 15.00  (3 years of HD free essentially)

2nd unit = $   6.00

Total : $150.99

Dish

AEP = $124.99

DVR = $  12.00

Multi-sport = $11.00

2nd Hopper = $12.00

Total : $159.99

I realize there are discounts that can be gotten along the way, but that is true for both services.

One issue that is bothering me, well actually a couple.  Losing my recordings and losing the Hopper.  No matter what anyone else thinks the Hopper is so much better than the HRxx and Genies that I would really miss them.

The thing is I've run Comcast numbers comparable to those discussed above with the new subscriber discounts in San Francisco using one of my kid's address and it comes to $124.88. But after the new subscriber discounts expire, my understanding is that you'd be looking at that number plus at least $40.00. Yeah, you can get internet and phone bundled which may make the total desirable, although with either Dish or Direct combined and other ISP/phone providers you can do better.

The reality for all of us is to figure out the minimum we want. If we want access to linear live TV, my guess is that either Direct or Dish, depending on what your channel and equipment preferences are, will come in lower than any other choice once the limited term discounts go away. And IMHO the best approach is to use a 3-year calculation, discounted prices followed by regular prices.

Particularly if you can record on a TIVO box at least the big four broadcast nets reliably OTA and are not really into sports, the harder decision is can you wait a year or two for everything that's on cable (including premiums) that isn't immediately available on the network web site to become available through streaming. But if you are into sports, there is no good cord-cutting choice unless you live close to a really great sports bar that will allow you to nurse one beer for three hours.

Right now, I'm anticipating an internal struggle when "Orphan Black" returns to BBCA. It means a $15 jump in package cost while the show is on if I want to see it as it runs. My struggle is that a season through Amazon streamed months later costs $14,99 while a live on BBCA season will run about 2½ months (at least $40 for that higher tier package). There may be a few other things I can pick up on the extra 80 or so channels that I would never watch.....

Anyway, it really does come down to individual choices and not all are rational.

Edited by phrelin, 23 December 2013 - 01:04 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#44 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yeah I'm sure we all know that after the 1st year, the price rises significantly.  In my case I can switch in general about every 1.5 years and make out from a financial standpoint.  And I do manage the account closely as I am retired and have time to diddle with it.  In the past it wasn't a big deal to switch because the equipment wasn't really much different and the channels I watch are mostly available with both services.

This time it is more difficult.  From a purely financial standpoint, switching makes lots of sense but now there is more difference with the equipment.  The Hopper is a jewel of an HDDVR and I can't imagine taking a step backwards to D*'s Genie which is just an HR design with more tuners.  So there is at least a good chance that I'll piss and moan about the money, talk to CSRs to see what we can come up with and not switch.  

And then of course, grumble about it.  :)

The things I would lose have a value that is hard to evaluate.  The many movies I have archived on the EHD, the fact that if the Hopper shoots craps I can restore timers and such with the push of a button, and the ability to have literally unlimited archive storage should I need/want it.

The Genie has its advantages as does D*'s service, but I'm not certain they will be enough to make me switch this time.

IOW, the numbers are just a way to work through frustration with bills that are rising very much faster than my income.  The gov't insists that inflation caused a COLA increase in my retirement of 1.5% this year, yet nothing I buy went up anywhere near that little.  And yeah, I could drop subscription level but that would irritate me as I have the channels I want to have now for a reason.  So since I can still afford it...   :)

Lloyd

#45 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

I just got my billing email and I didn't get any notice like this - or even a notice at all in my bill.

Now that much of football season is over though I did just downgrade the package to 120.   Only limited college basketball to me.   There is nothing on Root Sports NW now anyway. 

#46 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

I got the email, but it was separate from the billing email.  Just a quick note that rates would be rising and that I would see the new rates as info on my next billing.

Lloyd

#47 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

So I see at bestbuy.directv.com they are offering a $150 gift card. When I click order now at the top right, it says 9 days left and get a $100 Directv visa card.

So who's thinking about switching for 2 years?

Edited by mike1977, 25 December 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

Not me.      Not worth the hassle of learning a new system along with teaching my wife how to use it.

Besides, I like the Dish system and have been with them almost from the beginning.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#49 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Not me.      Not worth the hassle of learning a new system along with teaching my wife how to use it.

Besides, I like the Dish system and have been with them almost from the beginning.

Smart man. I''ve been with Dish since 1999. Too much wortk switching.

Edited by Paul Secic, 27 December 2013 - 11:17 AM.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#50 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

I have both.  

Should I switch my DirecTV account to DISH, and my DISH account to DirecTV ??

:coffee

#51 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

I keep thinking that is what I would like to do, but I can't seem to figger out a way to have it make sense.  Because of a couple of channels in HD differences, I would have to have a fairly high base sub with each which is the crux of the problem.

As it is, even though I'm basically seeing my bill double, I'll probably stick around with Dish.  My 1st year as a returnee, with the discounts that were there all during the 1st year with the premiums, Multi-sport and BB@Home, plus the 'new' customer discounts made the bill about $70/month the whole time.  If I average the past year with what I expect the next year to be, the average of the bill will be $105.  And that is about the number I like to be at.

Lloyd

#52 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

not me

staying put

#53 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Well I heard on the news last night that DirectTV is raising their rates 5%, or about $5 as well.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#54 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, you can get internet and phone bundled which may make the total desirable, although with either Dish or Direct combined and other ISP/phone providers you can do better.

I have posted that in the past and many people overlook it. I do exactly that, DISH for TV, VOIP from VoicePulse for $15 a month, and Charter for internet. Charter will lower your bill for three months if you call. It ends up actually alot cheaper than their bundling and DISH has FAR better equipment, and channels such as EuroNews, important things for me. VoicePulse has a much better service with all kinds of features all free as compared to Charter.

Edited by tampa8, 28 December 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Well I heard on the news last night that DirectTV is raising their rates 5%, or about $5 as well.

directv.com/2014pricing

#56 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

I might end up switching to directv, dish always advertise low prices...when they talk about low prices they are talking about at100....they never think about their customers the one that been with them for 10+ years

#57 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:16 AM

I might end up switching to directv, dish always advertise low prices...when they talk about low prices they are talking about at100....they never think about their customers the one that been with them for 10+ years

I don't know if that's true.  I switched from DirecTV in April of 2012, and at the time, I compared the prices and came to the conclusion that, for me, I'd save about $7/month after the promotional discount.  And this was as an AT250 customer.  The $25 "advanced receiver fee" really hit hard on the bottom line for this one-TV household.  I've even scaled back to AT200 during the tennis off-season, which saves me another $10/month.  And using the Hopper has been an almost unqualified joy compared to the horrible experience I had with my DirecTV HD DVR (which made the $25 "advanced receiver" fee an especially bitter pill to swallow.)

I would still be a DirecTV customer if they had guaranteed me a specific model of receiver.  But even now, with talk about the HR34 being unacceptably slow for some users, DirecTV considers the HR34 and HR44 to be identical and won't promise you either model when you order.  Or if you want the HR2x series, you could get anything from a 21-24.  Not that it matters - DirecTV has a long history of releasing firmware updates that turn even fast DVRs into turtles.

#58 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Did you try a local installer?

I would think a local installer could provide you the receiver you request.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#59 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:03 AM

For each of these increases, I wonder how much of net loss they take from people leaving or switching?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#60 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

DISH has had a few negative quarters ... such losses do not have to be reflected immediately as many customers are still under contract when they see their rate increase. But it would be short sighted to blame all of DISH's net loss on price increases.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

spam firewall