Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2014 rate increase email

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

This is very likely it for me. As much as I'm a fan of the hardware, as a family we spend so much more time on the Roku now. Netflix, Plex and everything else that comes along with it.

It'll be tough losing some of the other perks, but at this point I can't justify it financially.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,274 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

If it wasn't for live boxing and golf, I could cut the cord myself and be just fine.  Well, I could if I was the only one in the house.

IPTV for multiple boxes is still an issue for many of us in the more rural parts of the country.  We can get 12-15Mbps 'net service which could suffice for 2-3 HD video streams most of the time.  But bandwidth caps are here with the cable company though not with the DSL provider.  I have 12Mbps DSL service, but I'm at the far end of the distance allowed for that and usually get between 10 and 11.

So instead of 'justifying' sticking around, I chose to 'rationalize'!!  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#63 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

This is very likely it for me. As much as I'm a fan of the hardware, as a family we spend so much more time on the Roku now. Netflix, Plex and everything else that comes along with it.

It'll be tough losing some of the other perks, but at this point I can't justify it financially.

Same here.  I'm trying to decide between dropping from 250 to 120, 120+ or nothing at all.  The packages below 120 don't seem to be worthwhile at all.

Something has to happen in the next couple of days for sure.

I just wish somebody could say for certain if I'd get anything at all with no subscription.  Some people say you get some of the free channels and previews, others insist you won['t get anything at all.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#64 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,733 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

If it wasn't for live boxing and golf, I could cut the cord myself and be just fine. Well, I could if I was the only one in the house.

IPTV for multiple boxes is still an issue for many of us in the more rural parts of the country. We can get 12-15Mbps 'net service which could suffice for 2-3 HD video streams most of the time. But bandwidth caps are here with the cable company though not with the DSL provider. I have 12Mbps DSL service, but I'm at the far end of the distance allowed for that and usually get between 10 and 11.

So instead of 'justifying' sticking around, I chose to 'rationalize'!! :)

Just wondering what live boxing and golf does Dish have that Directv doesn't? Just curious

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#65 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,274 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

I don't think there is a difference between Dish and Direct for live boxing and golf, though D* does do more extended coverage of a couple of golf's biggies.  That latter isn't all that important to me.

My adult son and I are discussing what to do with these increases.  We both love the Hoppers we have and we share very little as our viewing choices are quite a bit different.  I can save money by making the switch, but would lose my archived content as would he.  How much value that has is the main conversation.  We both could be very comfortable with either service as we have in the past. We both think the Hopper is very much better than the Genie, but that wouldn't be the sole reason to choose to not switch.

One factor that concerns me is that I got my new sign up with Dish a year ago from a dealer who is a personal friend.  I don't know when or if he gets dinged if I cancel at the end of the 1st year, I wouldn't want that to happen.

Lloyd

#66 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,802 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

I don't think there is a difference between Dish and Direct for live boxing and golf, though D* does do more extended coverage of a couple of golf's biggies.  That latter isn't all that important to me.

You have Epix on Dish and they show boxing.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#67 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,274 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

You have Epix on Dish and they show boxing.

Very little of it.

Frankly one of the things that will happen if I stay with Dish is cancelling BB@Home because it has little value imo.  And Epix is now the single worst premium channel for repeats.  Reminds me of MonstersHD at the end of their run.  :(

Lloyd

#68 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

I don't know when or if he gets dinged if I cancel at the end of the 1st year, I wouldn't want that to happen.

If you're still under contract, YOU'LL get dinged.

#69 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,274 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

If you're still under contract, YOU'LL get dinged.

Yes, but D* will cover $200 of that and that is all factored into a possible switch.  Would save about $25/month including all 'dings' and promos.  And that even counts the discounts I'm getting on the premiums with Dish now.

Lloyd

#70 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Pulled the pin, sort of.

Dropped to 120 for now since you apparently can't cancel on-line.

We'll see how that goes for a month or so.

Would be nice for a Dirt to step in and offer Encore free for 60 days or so.  Not holding my breath though.

• DoyleS likes this

#71 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,274 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

You should be able to drop/add online, I've never had a problem with doing that.

Lloyd

#72 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

I can drop/add, but not disconnect/terminate.

Change took effect already with many channels turning red or green in the EPG signifying unsubscribed.  No serious losses.  Two that bother me are TCM and BBCA, but I'll live.

Surprise is the locals.  I didn't expect to get them since I only see one bird right now.  I thought they were on another and I'd need a different LNB.

Didn't have locals before since I was on an old version of 250 that didn't include them.

#73 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Same here.  I'm trying to decide between dropping from 250 to 120, 120+ or nothing at all.  The packages below 120 don't seem to be worthwhile at all.

I'm in a unique situation where I can't drop lower than I already am. It's kind of a rock and hard place issue.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#74 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 990 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

I got bit dropping from 200 to 120 and losing BBC America.  Actually only one show and that was Copper.  But the series has been cancelled now so no real loss.  Most of my watching is Network oriented but I am a big time shifter and at times there are 3 timers running simultaneously.  A little difficult to do if you only receive OTA.   I have been pretty aggressive trying to keep my bill at $100 or less.  It is the multiple receiver, DVR and  HD/BB@H fees that push my bill up.  My Sling adapter will get pressed into service again next month when the Olympics start.  Long term,   I think i there will be some better alternatives as the program sources begin selling their content to various internet  providers. My adult kids have all cut the cable and pretty much exist on Netflix streaming and Hulu Plus and OTA with no DVR.   

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#75 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

I'm not getting all the locals though.  The ones that are in the 9000 range and repeated in the lower numbers are the ones I don't get.  The ones that only appear in the lower numbers are fine.  HD vs SD?  No SD versions available?

#76 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

Just got something in snail mail about the increase of $5 for my account. They are offering one free month of epix to soften the blow.

Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#77 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Well, I got my new bill and it went up $7 and change. That is on top of the $5 it went up last year. So I am up over $12 in about 12 months and really have seen no new channels in HD that I care about and have lost the Blockbuster at Home disks which I did use. So things are going in the wrong direction. The only thing that keeps me on Dish is the Hopper/Joey DVRs are way better than what the local cable guys offer and I have trouble making my self invest in TIVO since they are so expensive to buy to get a decent whole house solution with the cable company. I guess I will just hang on a little longer until either the local cable company comes up with a good DVR, Dish finally gets some new HD content or Dish gives me another increase that pushes me over the edge.

#78 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

If it wasn't for live boxing and golf, I could cut the cord myself and be just fine.  Well, I could if I was the only one in the house.

IPTV for multiple boxes is still an issue for many of us in the more rural parts of the country.  We can get 12-15Mbps 'net service which could suffice for 2-3 HD video streams most of the time.  But bandwidth caps are here with the cable company though not with the DSL provider.  I have 12Mbps DSL service, but I'm at the far end of the distance allowed for that and usually get between 10 and 11.

So instead of 'justifying' sticking around, I chose to 'rationalize'!!   :)

What happened. Just $5.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#79 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,274 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

What happened. Just $5.

Or a $40+/month decrease for awhile...  :)

Lloyd

#80 OFFLINE   chouseman

chouseman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Never got any price-increase E-mail, just learned about this today in the regular bill notification E-mail.

$5/month wouldn't be so hard to stomach except that I'm still putting up with locals in SD.   Free Hulu has better quality, and I get NBC OTA in HD, maybe others if I spent the price increase on a better antenna.

I was thinking about upgrading to a Hopper, but this has me thinking about downgrading to nothing instead.   Verizon had the gall to raise the price on their DSL as well - perhaps I should make even more use of it.

spam firewall