Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The decline of DirecTV's picture quality

PQ

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

I hate to say it, but I fear that D*'s picture quality seems to be declining.   Example - last night, I was watching the Duke/UCLA game on ESPN.  Thought the picture looked a bit washed out, so I flipped on my alternate source, and the PQ on the same TV with the same video settings was a LOT better.  Everything from color to detail was noticeably better.  My wife actually asked what I did to improve the picture.

Do you think that the launch and activation of the new D14 satellite will help PQ by increasing available bandwidth?  If not, I'm seriously thinking for the first time of jumping ship over PQ.

It's a real shame, because when I started with D* in 1996, the PQ was significantly better than anything else I could get my hands on.  Then, when the new birds were first lit up, channels like HDNET were like watching a BluRay - amazingly great picture quality.

But today's D* has decreased its picture quality.

In a world where a low-bitrate MP3 played through cheap earbuds passes for high quality, I know I'm probably in the minority here.  But I rue the loss of what brought me to DirecTV in the first place - great picture quality.

For details, I was watching on a Panny 65VT25 plasma that was ISF-calibrated earlier this year.

Edited by wilbur_the_goose, 20 December 2013 - 08:05 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

I had D* in 08-10 and the picture quality was out of this world back then and I just recently came back in July 2013 and have noticed the picture quality was not like how i remembered it.

I compared my local ota to D* locals and it was not even close.The compression on my D* locals made fleshtones a bit hot compared to the natural look of the ota feed.Back then the two feeds were almost identical,you could be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I too have a Panny GT30 calibrated set and learned through ocd on whats great pq.

• damondlt likes this
Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#3 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Maybe I'm not observant enough but I don't sense or think I see a decline in the PQ from DirecTV.  What I think I see is actually an increase in the PQ from other providers, almost like DirecTV set the standard early on and the rest have scrambled to catch up.  I changed to DirecTV back in 1999 when the PQ from our cable provider was just plain poop.  At that time we were in a brand new house in Fairfax County in Northern Virginia and were on one of the oldest cable systems in the US.  Not only were they dealing with original cable buried in the 70's but it had been dug up, spliced, repaired, extended, boasted, etc., etc., to the point it was barely watchable.  I never got around to installing an OTA in that house so I can't compare or speak to PQ in that respect.  Moved to Texas some ten years ago and stuck with DirecTV as I'd become a NFL Sunday Ticket fan and didn't want to give that up.  I have the choice here to go with cable (TWC) or OTA and the previous owner of the house installed a good antenna in the attic that I use with my AM21s and my one guest room TV that only has OTA.  (NOTE:  We have U-verse Internet here but they're not able or willing to provide U-verse TV yet.)   Now my neighbors have everything from just OTA to TWC to Dish/DirecTV.  The ones who have watched games with me are complementary about the PQ but then again that could be nothing more than I'm the only one with Sunday Ticket.  Then again they watch that with me in my media room so there's the seating, the lighting, and the surround sound system.  May not be totally state-of-the-art or perfect but it's darn good. 

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#4 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,462 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

I hate to say it, but I fear that D*'s picture quality seems to be declining.   Example - last night, I was watching the Duke/UCLA game on ESPN.  Thought the picture looked a bit washed out, so I flipped on my alternate source, and the PQ on the same TV with the same video settings was a LOT better.  Everything from color to detail was noticeably better.  My wife actually asked what I did to improve the picture.

Do you think that the launch and activation of the new D14 satellite will help PQ by increasing available bandwidth?  If not, I'm seriously thinking for the first time of jumping ship over PQ.

It's a real shame, because when I started with D* in 1996, the PQ was significantly better than anything else I could get my hands on.  Then, when the new birds were first lit up, channels like HDNET were like watching a BluRay - amazingly great picture quality.

In a world where a low-bitrate MP3 played through cheap earbuds passes for high quality, I know I'm probably in the minority here.  But I rue the loss of what brought me to DirecTV in the first place - great picture quality.

For details, I was watching on a Panny 65VT25 plasma that was ISF-calibrated earlier this year.

ESPN is in 720p and my 1080p Panny plasmas do not put out nearly as good a picture on 720p content as they do on 1080i content.  

Rich

#5 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,462 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Maybe I'm not observant enough but I don't sense or think I see a decline in the PQ from DirecTV.  What I think I see is actually an increase in the PQ from other providers, almost like DirecTV set the standard early on and the rest have scrambled to catch up.

Netflix's Super HD is a good example of that.  It blows away D*'s 1080i PQ.  It takes me a few minutes to adjust to D*'s PQ after watching streaming NF SHD.  

Rich

• SPACEMAKER likes this

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

I too agree with the HD PQ seeming to be not as good as it once was. Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

You should see Dish... Locals do kinda stink IMO, comparing them to OTA on my Tivo, but Cable networks arent bad. Sporting events are hard to eval, because they vary on the source end. Just watch ESPN all day during football and you will see what I mean.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#8 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

On my Samsung 59D8000 plasma I especially notice Directv's lower bitrate when there are dark scenes or lots of black. On directv they look blotchy and irregular, but if I watch the same content OTA or from a video file, I don't see those issues.
  • Tom Servo likes this

#9 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Maybe I'm not observant enough but I don't sense or think I see a decline in the PQ from DirecTV.  What I think I see is actually an increase in the PQ from other providers, almost like DirecTV set the standard early on and the rest have scrambled to catch up. 

Snipped

What I suspect is that it has nothing to do with not being observant. It has to do with it happening gradually enough so that You do not notice it. What do You see if You compare recordings from years ago to the same channel no?

Some of the best PQ I see is from Cable on locals tuned in on the TV set's ClearQam tuner.

Then I Have satellite TV. I can compare recordings from back in 2006 when I got the HD DVR. Knock Wood, 7+ years and still working BTW. followed by the DVD recorder with hard drive when recording the HD locals. The Satellite TV quality still looks just as good to me. However I am on a 32" HDTV and a 24" HDTV and a Sony SDTV. I find the Sony is still the best way to watch SD content from Satellite and DVDs.

• damondlt likes this
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,261 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'd never chose a espn live broadcast to determine pq. Look at discovery and HBO etc and compare there and see if you see these differences and then check the settings on your tv. So often people have higher contrast and brightness on other inputs. Maybe you need to do some tweaking.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,358 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

What was the alternative source? 

I was appalled at the PQ in the recent 49er's football game on Fox. Dunno how much was Fox, how much DIRECTV....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

inkahauts - I have both sources going through a Denon AVR-4311 with video processing disabled and sent to the same input on my TV.   To me, that's an equal test.

The decline in PQ is  like the old "boiling frog" metaphor to me.

#13 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

To those comparing to OTA - That's a ridiculous comparison between technology. Two different things with too many variables.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

Dumb question # 897.43:

When you change source does it switch inputs on your TV? If so are your individual inputs independently set for picture settings? Are these different? Whoops just read your response to inkahauts. OK. . .

When using a live sporting event as a baseline you are on slippery ground between carriage agreements, actual program source quality, and technical/weather issues between the source, its broadcast, Direct TV's receive/retransmit .

I've not seen any degradation on any of my "haunts".

Don "and I'm looking for em too" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

I guess I would never use ESPN as a measuring stick of PQ...their PQ usually sucks on every provider.  I do occasionally compare PQ between OTA and sat delivered locals, or try to see how a sat delivered picture compares to one of my BD's....

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,261 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

inkahauts - I have both sources going through a Denon AVR-4311 with video processing disabled and sent to the same input on my TV. To me, that's an equal test.

The decline in PQ is like the old "boiling frog" metaphor to me.

Anything that's live id not use as a measuring stick because you don't know if they take significantly different routes that aren't equal and can't be balanced to be equal either. Just to many what ifs. I'd be curios if you had the same issues with all channels is really my point. Espn has issue IMHO.

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,358 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

inkahauts - I have both sources going through a Denon AVR-4311 with video processing disabled and sent to the same input on my TV.   To me, that's an equal test.

What is the alternative source for ESPN?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

What is the alternative source for ESPN?

I dont know what his was, but I get ESPN on my Roku, or computer via internet after logging in with my Comcast password.

I havent really noticed the Roku stream was better than DirecTv, nor can I say the Comcast (Xfinity) cable feed is better/worse. 

Pretty much all 720p content looks the same on my 60" LCD.   Only on the 1080i stuff do I notice a difference, and even then its not that large a difference, but DirecTv is slightly better than Comcast on identical channels, and for those channels that have a C band feed that is not scrambled, the C band feed blows both DirecTv and Comcast away.  Watch Fox football games on CTV on Sundays is the only source of 720p material I have see that is noticably better.  The C band 720p channels look MUCH better than any other source I have.

Edited by Davenlr, 20 December 2013 - 07:07 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#19 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

ESPN looks good to me 720p or 1080i, maybe the tv settings needs adjusting, however some of the Viacom cable channels in particular MTV looks degraded somewhat but not horribly bad, But I never noticed until now, But I'll put up with it since it's a crappy channel anyway.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#20 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

My alternate source is Verizon FiOS.  Both signals go into the same input on the TV (They are passed unprocessed through a Denon receiver - HDMI all the way).

I used to think ESPN always had PQ issues before I saw ESPN on FiOS.

For what it's worth, it's better across the board.

I'm not planning on giving up D* because of NFLST combined with the horrible channel number mapping on FiOS (seems like the channel numbers were plucked out of a hat).  BUT - if D*'s PQ doesn't get better after D14 launches, I'm going to think long and hard about ending my 15+ year relationship with D*.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...