Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers, and R22: 0x079b Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

I just checked my HR24-100s and the SWM signals are indeed missing from the Signal Strength screens.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,199 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

I never saw any good use for the SWM signals grid... they have now improved the "secret" diagnostic MoCA screen

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

I never saw any good use for the SWM signals grid... they have now improved the "secret" diagnostic MoCA screen

I forget how to get to that screen. Care to share?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#29 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,199 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

I forget how to get to that screen. Care to share?

guide and right arrow at the same time. Can be finicky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#30 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

guide and right arrow at the same time. Can be finicky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I was hitting menu and the different arrows, that's what I was doing wrong.

It's been awhile since I've been in this screen. I think it dates me back to the SD GUI era.

Anyway things working good here. Levels are -23 and -29. Phy rate is between 243 and 251.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#31 OFFLINE   madmadworld

madmadworld

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:18 AM

ended up with hr22 mailed to us. it works. the end

Wife called today they could not address the box to send a fw told her she was sol, and they would send her another newer box.

really hate giving up the OTA tuner. waiting for a miracle now. till monday 

got 0x79b  on 1-9-14

worse ever fw.  all 3 of my hr20 lost there ota channels(3.2  5.2 etc) had to run the set up and all was well.

but my wifes unit had gone mad by monday. reboots on it's own, can't watch recordings even 30 min ones it will just freeze or reboot. after a hour of just being on (it's in another room not sure on time) it will not respond to the remote or front buttons, till booted.

my 2 units seem fine. gotta call and see if they have a clue.

#32 OFFLINE   Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Has anyone had their HR24 record a show over and over? Tonight I found that it had 221 20/20 recordings and it kept going higher and higher. As it did this it kindly began deleting everything else on the DVR for space. I tried to just delete it all from my other DVR and it's just sitting at please wait/refreshing playlist and checking that DVR it had a warning about space and I chose stop recording and it's doing nothing. I know I can't get the stuff back it deleted, but is my only way to save what's left on my other one to mark everything keep?

As an update, it seems it just kept replicating the recording and everything not marked Keep is gone. :(

Edited by Insomniac2k, 01 February 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,092 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

Well first is it actually recording that program? What are your settings for it? And how long has this been going on?

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,199 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Has anyone had their HR24 record a show over and over? Tonight I found that it had 221 20/20 recordings and it kept going higher and higher. As it did this it kindly began deleting everything else on the DVR for space. I tried to just delete it all from my other DVR and it's just sitting at please wait/refreshing playlist and checking that DVR it had a warning about space and I chose stop recording and it's doing nothing. I know I can't get the stuff back it deleted, but is my only way to save what's left on my other one to mark everything keep?

As an update, it seems it just kept replicating the recording and everything not marked Keep is gone. :(

First thing to try is resetting your DVR/Receiver . See if that helps.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Well first is it actually recording that program? What are your settings for it? And how long has this been going on?

It was actually recording it. It had a series pass, normal settings, first run, etc. This is the first time it has ever happened. I finished watching bones last night and when it went back to the list I saw the warning markers on some shows (and since it's so rare I see them, I didn't remember what they meant). Then noticed that 20/20 had 230-ish (230/230) episodes in a folder and I scrolled through a bit and it was all the same partial recording and when I collapsed it it had more episodes. I then realized what the warning icon was and tried to just delete the folder 240+ by then. This morning there were 5 left all the same recording and length (50 mins). It basically seems it just replicating the same recording/file, while it was recording. In doing so, it just deleted older recordings to clear space.

#36 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,092 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Strange. I'd say delete all the episodes in there then do a reset and as soon as it's back to live tv do another reset and clear the guide. Seems it's just a bit confused.

#37 OFFLINE   madmadworld

madmadworld

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

got 0x79b  on 1-9-14

worse ever fw.  all 3 of my hr20 lost there ota channels(3.2  5.2 etc) had to run the set up and all was well.

but my wifes unit had gone mad by monday. reboots on it's own, can't watch recordings even 30 min ones it will just freeze or reboot. after a hour of just being on (it's in another room not sure on time) it will not respond to the remote or front buttons, till booted.

my 2 units seem fine. gotta call and see if they have a clue.

lost my locals ota channels(3.2  5.2 etc) again on both of my hr20's. went to record the big game today and they were gone.

just me ?

thanks for reading

#38 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

The new version changed the name of my HR24. Messed up my whole home. Changed it and it's fine more. Kinda weird that would change.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#39 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 757 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

lost my locals ota channels(3.2 5.2 etc) again on both of my hr20's. went to record the big game today and they were gone.
just me ?
thanks for reading

The big game......do you mean Superb Owl XLVIII? :)

(I thing it's okay to say the real name here.)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
  • madmadworld likes this

Customer since 1998.  13 DirecTV HD-DVR's including 11 AM21's, a Genie, a GenieGO, 3 HR10-250 deactivated OTA tuners, and many TV's!

#40 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

2 HR23-700 with 0x79b one is OK the other is SLOW

HR23-700 that is OK is in living room and used every day... slow one is in theater and used a couple times a week

Slow one sometimes takes 2-to-5 button presses to respond... put new batteries in remote, and tried downstairs remote upstairs... same SLOW result

Could this mean that the slow upstairs HR23-700 is "about" to fail... or is there something that I can do to make it work faster?

#41 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

If it is taking that many presses of the button it probably has IR interference from your TV.

Try using the TV remote and turn the TV OFF.

Then try pressing the buttons for say the guide, change channel, exit, etc. and pay attention to the power light on the front of the receiver.

See if it blinks every time you press a button.

If you have not done so already, reset the receiver. Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver.

Go into Settings, Display, Preferences and Turn Scrolling Effects to OFF,

Go into Settings, Display, Video and Set Native to OFF

Go into Settings, Display, Resolutions and check only the 1080i setting.

See if those help.

If not you might have a hard drive that is failing.

Edited by jimmie57, 07 February 2014 - 12:22 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#42 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

More information... dedicated theater with a ceiling mounted Sony projector... once turned on with Sony remote, the projector is, as far as I know, completely passive with no outgoing signals... and, being a theater with a projector, there are no other signal sources in the room

I will do the rest of what you said to see if the speed improves

If not, do you know if DTV will replaced based on these symptoms, or will the unit have to completely fail before they replace?

#43 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

More information... dedicated theater with a ceiling mounted Sony projector... once turned on with Sony remote, the projector is, as far as I know, completely passive with no outgoing signals... and, being a theater with a projector, there are no other signal sources in the room

I will do the rest of what you said to see if the speed improves

If not, do you know if DTV will replaced based on these symptoms, or will the unit have to completely fail before they replace?

They won't replace a receiver for slow response.

There are some tests you can run to check the hard drive and try to get rid of corrupt files. See below.

Before you get into that tho, Try Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver. As soon as it reloads and programming comes to the screen, do it again.

Run the Built in Self-test to try and repair your hard drive.
To run the hard drive tests, do the following.

Reboot DVR with the red button next to the smart card.
When you see "Running receiver self-check" press Select

You should see a message "Entering Diagnostics Mode"
Choose Advanced Tests Menu ,
Hard Drive utilities ,
Short Smart test

Next run the file test,  the DVR will try to repair a bad file if present.

If you receive error messages from the above stop and post them back on
here.

If the all tests pass, you can run the surface test.   This test is long and
could take several hours .
You may want to run it overnight.
Every attempt is made to save programming.

If you receive error messages post them back on here.

Edited by jimmie57, 07 February 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

Interim report - unit reacts to remote button press intermittently... for a few presses everything works, then stops and I have to press button several times in a row

Things that were already done... scrolling effects OFF + native OFF + display 1080i - BUT !!!

HR23 downstairs is connected direct to TV via HDMI and is set to 1080i AND the lighted button on the front says 1080i

HR23 upstairs shows only 1080i checked on the menu screen BUT 480p light is the only one that works on the front... unit connected via Component output, since that is what the installer put through the wall when house was built 6+ years ago, meaning HDMI is not an option

Does Component out mean 1080i is not really an option... and could that be a cause of the slowness problem?

IGNORE 1080i note... now that 1st restart has finished, the indicator light shows 1080i

Will do more testing, and go on to double restart and/or drive check if still slow

Edited by JohnTSmith, 07 February 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Interim #2

Short smart Passed + File Passed, so now running surface test (message said will take 90+ minutes)

Because the remote signal was being received intermittently, I had to use the front panel up/down Select buttons to run the above actions

Once the surface test is done, I will try the "double restart" which I see from message 18 causes the guide data to flush and refresh

If none of this helps with receiver responding to remote, I guess I'll just have to wait until it fails... which is a real PITA

#46 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

If none of that works, check the signal strengths on the several satellites ( skip the ones with the s after their number ) on the receiver that is working good and then the one that is having a problem and compare them.

#47 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Just walked upstairs... drive test says 0 errors found BUT after watching for 4-5 minutes, it seems to be stuck at 53.14% progress

I will go back upstairs in 10-15 minutes to check again... if still at same % how long should I let it run before cancelling?

#48 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

It can take several hours for that test to run. Just let it run, it is probably not stuck.

#49 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Now one hour after my last post... still at 53.14% progress... is that usual?

Now 5:34 and "running self check" so I don't know if any errors were found, but it did finish and is restarting

Final at 6:30... still running SLOW... intermittent reaction to remote key press, and very slow to DO anything when it does react

I will just live with it since I don't use it every day... when it dies, any replacement "should" be better

Edited by JohnTSmith, 07 February 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

Now one hour after my last post... still at 53.14% progress... is that usual?

Now 5:34 and "running self check" so I don't know if any errors were found, but it did finish and is restarting

Final at 6:30... still running SLOW... intermittent reaction to remote key press, and very slow to DO anything when it does react

I will just live with it since I don't use it every day... when it dies, any replacement "should" be better

Give it 2 days to judge the reactions and speed now. Since the double reset of the receiver it is working hard to re download all of the guide and graphics, etc. etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...