Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers, and R22: 0x079b Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

If it is taking that many presses of the button it probably has IR interference from your TV.

Try using the TV remote and turn the TV OFF.

Then try pressing the buttons for say the guide, change channel, exit, etc. and pay attention to the power light on the front of the receiver.

See if it blinks every time you press a button.

If you have not done so already, reset the receiver. Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver.

Go into Settings, Display, Preferences and Turn Scrolling Effects to OFF,

Go into Settings, Display, Video and Set Native to OFF

Go into Settings, Display, Resolutions and check only the 1080i setting.

See if those help.

If not you might have a hard drive that is failing.

Edited by jimmie57, 07 February 2014 - 12:22 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

More information... dedicated theater with a ceiling mounted Sony projector... once turned on with Sony remote, the projector is, as far as I know, completely passive with no outgoing signals... and, being a theater with a projector, there are no other signal sources in the room

I will do the rest of what you said to see if the speed improves

If not, do you know if DTV will replaced based on these symptoms, or will the unit have to completely fail before they replace?

#43 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

More information... dedicated theater with a ceiling mounted Sony projector... once turned on with Sony remote, the projector is, as far as I know, completely passive with no outgoing signals... and, being a theater with a projector, there are no other signal sources in the room

I will do the rest of what you said to see if the speed improves

If not, do you know if DTV will replaced based on these symptoms, or will the unit have to completely fail before they replace?

They won't replace a receiver for slow response.

There are some tests you can run to check the hard drive and try to get rid of corrupt files. See below.

Before you get into that tho, Try Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver. As soon as it reloads and programming comes to the screen, do it again.

Run the Built in Self-test to try and repair your hard drive.
To run the hard drive tests, do the following.

Reboot DVR with the red button next to the smart card.
When you see "Running receiver self-check" press Select

You should see a message "Entering Diagnostics Mode"
Choose Advanced Tests Menu ,
Hard Drive utilities ,
Short Smart test

Next run the file test,  the DVR will try to repair a bad file if present.

If you receive error messages from the above stop and post them back on
here.

If the all tests pass, you can run the surface test.   This test is long and
could take several hours .
You may want to run it overnight.
Every attempt is made to save programming.

If you receive error messages post them back on here.

Edited by jimmie57, 07 February 2014 - 01:04 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#44 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

Interim report - unit reacts to remote button press intermittently... for a few presses everything works, then stops and I have to press button several times in a row

Things that were already done... scrolling effects OFF + native OFF + display 1080i - BUT !!!

HR23 downstairs is connected direct to TV via HDMI and is set to 1080i AND the lighted button on the front says 1080i

HR23 upstairs shows only 1080i checked on the menu screen BUT 480p light is the only one that works on the front... unit connected via Component output, since that is what the installer put through the wall when house was built 6+ years ago, meaning HDMI is not an option

Does Component out mean 1080i is not really an option... and could that be a cause of the slowness problem?

IGNORE 1080i note... now that 1st restart has finished, the indicator light shows 1080i

Will do more testing, and go on to double restart and/or drive check if still slow

Edited by JohnTSmith, 07 February 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Interim #2

Short smart Passed + File Passed, so now running surface test (message said will take 90+ minutes)

Because the remote signal was being received intermittently, I had to use the front panel up/down Select buttons to run the above actions

Once the surface test is done, I will try the "double restart" which I see from message 18 causes the guide data to flush and refresh

If none of this helps with receiver responding to remote, I guess I'll just have to wait until it fails... which is a real PITA

#46 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

If none of that works, check the signal strengths on the several satellites ( skip the ones with the s after their number ) on the receiver that is working good and then the one that is having a problem and compare them.

#47 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Just walked upstairs... drive test says 0 errors found BUT after watching for 4-5 minutes, it seems to be stuck at 53.14% progress

I will go back upstairs in 10-15 minutes to check again... if still at same % how long should I let it run before cancelling?

#48 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

It can take several hours for that test to run. Just let it run, it is probably not stuck.

#49 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Now one hour after my last post... still at 53.14% progress... is that usual?

Now 5:34 and "running self check" so I don't know if any errors were found, but it did finish and is restarting

Final at 6:30... still running SLOW... intermittent reaction to remote key press, and very slow to DO anything when it does react

I will just live with it since I don't use it every day... when it dies, any replacement "should" be better

Edited by JohnTSmith, 07 February 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

Now one hour after my last post... still at 53.14% progress... is that usual?

Now 5:34 and "running self check" so I don't know if any errors were found, but it did finish and is restarting

Final at 6:30... still running SLOW... intermittent reaction to remote key press, and very slow to DO anything when it does react

I will just live with it since I don't use it every day... when it dies, any replacement "should" be better

Give it 2 days to judge the reactions and speed now. Since the double reset of the receiver it is working hard to re download all of the guide and graphics, etc. etc.

#51 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Just went upstairs and checked... it IS working now... still a "long" delay between pressing a button and the receiver responding, but at least I don't have to press the same button several times for something to happen

Going to watch recorded Olympics later today, and will check again tomorrow to see if the time lag between pressing a button and receiver responding is less

Added 5PM 2/9

This receiver is really "screwy" in what I am observing... just got back downstairs from watching Olympics recorded last night

I had to press the List key several times to get my list of recorded programs to display... then had to press the down arrow several times to get the "focus" to go down my list to my Olympics group... and had to press Select several times to open the group... and, of course, down arrow several times to get "focus" to bottom entry... and finally Select several times to get the program to start playing

Once my selected program WAS playing, the FIRST time I pressed the fast forward key to go through a commercial, everything required several key presses to both start fast forward, and then the Play key to go back to play mode

AFTER that, everything worked properly, with each key press making the receiver respond... almost like the receiver takes a LONG time to wake up and function

All in all, I find this to be very weird and frustrating... and not at all how the identical HR23-700 downstairs operates

Does anyone know if DTV is sending the HR24 as a replacement?

Edited by JohnTSmith, 09 February 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Went upstairs again after dinner, and the SAME results as described above... several button presses to get anything to work... and then AFTER my first fast forward and back to playing, the receiver acted like it had finally "woken up" and would work properly... every button press produced a result, after only a short delay

Has anyone seen a symptom like that before?

I'm just about ready to call DTV and ask about the cost of upgrading this one HR23 to an HR24 which is, from what I have read, a lot faster than an HR23

#53 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Went upstairs again after dinner, and the SAME results as described above... several button presses to get anything to work... and then AFTER my first fast forward and back to playing, the receiver acted like it had finally "woken up" and would work properly... every button press produced a result, after only a short delay

Has anyone seen a symptom like that before?

I'm just about ready to call DTV and ask about the cost of upgrading this one HR23 to an HR24 which is, from what I have read, a lot faster than an HR23

I recently had that problem with my HR24 in the Den. It was the TV warming up and sending out IR signals that was overriding the remote signals.

I cut a piece of a cardboard box about 12" square ( Edit: I am now looking at the cardboard and I had trimmed it so it was only 4" front to back and taped it to the top of the receiver ) and laid it on top of the HR24 and let it hang over the front of the DTV receiver about 2 inches like the eves of your house. It now blocks the signals from the TV and the startup delay ( it was 55 seconds each time ) is now gone completely.

Make sure that the card board is not  covering and cooling vents.

Edited by jimmie57, 10 February 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

>TV warming up and sending out IR signals

I don't think that applies in my case... dedicated theater with a ceiling mount Sony projector which is, as far as I know, completely passive

Even if the Sony projector is not passive, this is a 6+ year old install and the problems I am having are recent... so I think "something" is going bad inside the HR23... I just don't know what !!!

I looked at the DTV page and there is no way to order an HR24, so I am now thinking about a place like Weeknees

#55 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

I don't think that applies in my case... dedicated theater with a ceiling mount Sony projector which is, as far as I know, completely passive

Even if the Sony projector is not passive, this is a 6+ year old install and the problems I am having are recent... so I think "something" is going bad inside the HR23... I just don't know what !!!

I looked at the DTV page and there is no way to order an HR24, so I am now thinking about a place like Weeknees

I would suggest a service call - on a 6+ year install (perhaps) the installer after checking out your system can swap it with a HR24 he should have one on his truck- Just a thought a service call is $50 vrs $199 weekneens price  however it's your choice

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#56 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

If it is only not working for the first few seconds and is fine after that, I would wait and see if it dies and let DTV replace it and not spend any money.

Remember, mine that had the slowness is an HR24.

#57 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

The next time we go upstairs to watch last night's Olympics, I'm going to press the front panel buttons instead of using the remote to see what happens

IF the HR23 responds correctly, I will conclude that "something" in the IR receiver is going bad

Right now, with a few movies and a TV series that we haven't completed, I don't want to replace "now" since we would lose the recordings... of course, if the unit simply fails I won't have a choice

Oh well... thanks everyone for the help and ideas... I think I'm stuck with this partly functioning HR23 for awhile

#58 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Front panel buttons work perfectly... remote control is still inconsistent

Since our house is for sale (start building new/last/retirement house as soon as we sell this one) I will go with a comment I read in another message thread about the "mover's connection" offering an upgrade at the same time... so when we move and I have the new dish mounted, I will ask the installer about giving him my "going bad" HR23 for an HR24 (I've been DTV since 1995, so signing up for another 2 years to get a free HR24 is no big deal)

#59 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Front panel buttons work perfectly... remote control is still inconsistent

Since our house is for sale (start building new/last/retirement house as soon as we sell this one) I will go with a comment I read in another message thread about the "mover's connection" offering an upgrade at the same time... so when we move and I have the new dish mounted, I will ask the installer about giving him my "going bad" HR23 for an HR24 (I've been DTV since 1995, so signing up for another 2 years to get a free HR24 is no big deal)

Nice of you not to care, however replacing a defective box carries no commitment 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#60 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:26 AM

The oldest trick in the book that I always due is, change channels rapidly using the Ch up/down button to "wake up " your receiver,  then it will respond much better that way,   another trick I do is scroll through the guide up/down in fast motion,   if you have scroll effects off,   then also using the number pad to change channels, also in quick motion, any random numbers will do if the channel number exist of course,  It will work much better,  but don't count on it as permanent solution,   It'll work then might slow again, especially when you don't do a lot of button pressing.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

spam firewall