Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad finally integrates GenieGo and adds social features

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

No controls for fast forward or rewind?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 300 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

There is no genie go in the settings...which looks like it doesn't even find it on my network. Genie go app works fine...redownloaded app...rebooted genie go...still the same.

Anyone get this to work on an iPad mini retina?

You do have the updated app version, right tpm? Hit the blue menu button, then settings and about halfway down right under copilot should be the GenieGo "menu" to select.

#23 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

mrdobolina is the winner! Even though I never had the app on this iPad until today (did have the genie go app though), it kept downloading the old version of the app when I went to the App Store. Even after deleting it multiple times....

Now I checked the AppStore again and it said an update was available. Weird stuff. Genie go works great. Ui is much improved but the pic quality still somewhat lacking....thanks everyone. Time to delete my genie go app.
  • mrdobolina likes this

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#24 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,431 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

The updated app won't allow me to register my iPad to GenieGo. After naming the iPad (I've tried the same name that I've named it in the GenieGo app and a different name), it asks me to enter my DirecTV.com password.  When I do, it tells me that I've entered an incorrect password (which I haven't).

I tried logging the app out of DirecTV and then logging back in, to see if that would have any effect.  After allowing me to log back into DirecTV, it still tells me that I've entered the wrong password when I try to register my iPad.

I only have 3 devices registered to my GenieGo (this iPad, an Android phone and my PC).  So, it's not a matter of too many devices already being registered.

#25 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,431 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

This morning, in an attempt to fix my problem with the updated app not allowing me to register my GenieGo, I reinstalled the app. Now it doesn't even show mr the GenieGo option in the Settings menu. I know that the GenieGo is working because the original GenieGo app on my iPad is working fine. I also tried doing a reinstall after an iPad reboot. Any suggestions?

#26 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

When streaming from the GenieGo to your devices I take it you can't fast forward? I don't see any controls for it.

#27 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,319 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

If it's a live stream, there's no trickplay.  If it's a recorded stream, you should be able o use the scrub bar.  I found it doesn't work until a few minutes into the program.

I've also been unable to schedule recordings to a Genie or HR2x.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#28 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,431 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

The updated app won't allow me to register my iPad to GenieGo. After naming the iPad (I've tried the same name that I've named it in the GenieGo app and a different name), it asks me to enter my DirecTV.com password.  When I do, it tells me that I've entered an incorrect password (which I haven't).

I tried logging the app out of DirecTV and then logging back in, to see if that would have any effect.  After allowing me to log back into DirecTV, it still tells me that I've entered the wrong password when I try to register my iPad.

I only have 3 devices registered to my GenieGo (this iPad, an Android phone and my PC).  So, it's not a matter of too many devices already being registered.

This morning, in an attempt to fix my problem with the updated app not allowing me to register my GenieGo, I reinstalled the app. Now it doesn't even show mr the GenieGo option in the Settings menu. I know that the GenieGo is working because the original GenieGo app on my iPad is working fine. I also tried doing a reinstall after an iPad reboot. Any suggestions?

I think that I have this sorted out.  When I reinstalled the app, the old version got downloaded from the app store, which is why the GenieGo option was missing in the settings menu (CoPilot was also missing).  Later, the App Store showed that there was an update available.  Once I updated it for a second time, the GenieGo option returned.  When I tried to register the iPad, using the same name that I used to register it with the GenieGo iPhone app, I started getting a 1007 error.  Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned registering it with the same name as it's registered in the GenieGO app.  But apparently , that's not permitted (at least not while it's still registered via the app).  Once I gave it a different name, it registered with no problem.

#29 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 555 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

When streaming from the GenieGo to your devices I take it you can't fast forward? I don't see any controls for it.

Yes, I believe you are right. While I like the fact that it's included in the Directv app, I think losing the fast forward ability is a major step backward. Hopefully this will be corrected in future versions.

#30 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Yes, I believe you are right. While I like the fact that it's included in the Directv app, I think losing the fast forward ability is a major step backward. Hopefully this will be corrected in future versions.

The Devil you say! We could earlier? My OoH is basically kaput based on my poor u/l speed, so haven't monitored it a lot. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#31 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 555 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

The Devil you say! We could earlier? My OoH is basically kaput based on my poor u/l speed, so haven't monitored it a lot.

It was pretty useless when streaming but worked well with programs loaded onto the IPad.

#32 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

You can use the scrubber to FF. 

#33 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

Thanks, I see the scrubber now for recoreded shows but if you start watching something thats still recording (something live) you can't FF.

#34 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,837 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

The current GG app has FF for OOH (enough abbreviations?) but performance was poor.  For example if you hit 30 sec skip, it could take longer than that to execute with OOH.  So removing it from the new CoPilot app may be the solution.

Has anyone installed the new app and used GG on both the old and new apps?

Does the content from one, become usable on the other app?

If you downloaded something on the GG app, will CoPilot see it?

i have some GG content and don't want to mess that up with trying CoPilot for GG just yet if the content isn't usable on both. And using up a license if they aren't transferable between the two apps.

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

i have some GG content and don't want to mess that up with trying CoPilot for GG just yet if the content isn't usable on both. And using up a license if they aren't transferable between the two apps.

Pretty sure I saw a post somewhere that the content had to be re-downloaded for the new app. I wasn't able to transfer the license, either, even though it was the same device.
/steve

#36 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 555 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

The problem I have with using the scrubber is that you have to guess how far to advance.

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

The problem I have with using the scrubber is that you have to guess how far to advance.

The iPad app scrubber does update the time, as you move along it.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.PNG

/steve

#38 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Nice image/illustration! It - the scrubber (as well as Sheldon)- could be smoother and easier. 

#39 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 300 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

I'm going to call myself out on "everything is amazing, no one is happy."  I only just discovered the 30 second skip forward in the GenieGo app, and I'm really bummed that it doesn't exist in the new "one app to rule them all" for the iPad.  Luckily I mostly use the Android app, and it's still there in that. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#40 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I have to say that my level of dissatisfaction on the 30-second skip for Genie Go was fairly low anyway especially with streaming. I'm not worried about its absence.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall