Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad finally integrates GenieGo and adds social features

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#51 ONLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

DAFI is working for me.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,297 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

Just tried it in home and after killing multi-task, it asked for login credentials and finally brought up home page.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#53 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

The app has been working great since I was able to download the correct version.  I suppose the next steps are unified iPhone and Android apps along with eventually building the Genie Go hardware into a future Genie itself. 

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#54 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

'Currently Watching' is showing a program that is recording.  Not the program that we're watching on HR34-700.

#55 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,818 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

'Currently Watching' is showing a program that is recording.  Not the program that we're watching on HR34-700.

Hmm, that IS a tough one...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#56 OFFLINE   FussyBob

FussyBob

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

But, if you have an iPad 1 you are out of luck.  The DirecTv app for iPad requires iOS 6+ to run.  The lack of memory in the iPad 1 does not allow for iOS6+.  So, no DirecTv on the iPad 1.

Can't even run the old app version.

This really sucks!  So I have a perfectly working iPad 1 that ran the previously DTV app flawlessly, enjoy watching programming on my back deck and now DTV is forcing me to buy another newer iPad.  Why couldn't they just keep the older app for us iPad 1 owners?

#57 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,892 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

It's a mystery to me. Some lay the blame at Apple's feet; others at the devs who make the GG software. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#58 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,806 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

This really sucks!  So I have a perfectly working iPad 1 that ran the previously DTV app flawlessly, enjoy watching programming on my back deck and now DTV is forcing me to buy another newer iPad.  Why couldn't they just keep the older app for us iPad 1 owners?

Have you tried installing the directv iPhone app on the iPad 1? Not sure it'll install, but if it does, may be a way to continue to watch some programming.
/steve

#59 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,818 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Have you tried installing the directv iPhone app on the iPad 1? Not sure it'll install, but if it does, may be a way to continue to watch some programming.

iPhone app only supports iOS6 or later as well

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#60 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,918 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

iPhone app only supports iOS6 or later as well

Actually its 6.1 or later. I had 6 and the iPad app wouldn't update until I upgraded.

#61 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Posting this here since I don't see another thread for this...

iPad App v2.3.7
GenieGo Firmware v1.6.p14-77861S
HR44-700 0x79e

Issue: GenieGo to HR44 Not Working
I downloaded the new version and checked out the new inclusive GenieGo capability. I found that while on my home network, the app would list the shows that are in my HR44, but when selecting them, I did not have the option to download the show or stream the show to my iPad. If I am connecting via OOH, the iPad app does not see the HR44 at all.

I found that if I perform a 30 second reset on the GG, the HR44 is then fully accessible. This lasts for about a day and then the HR44 is not accessible again for the GG from within the iPad app.

I am not having this issue with the HR34 or HR24 on my network.

Anyone else seeing this?

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#62 OFFLINE   KSrB2000

KSrB2000

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

Posting this here since I don't see another thread for this...

iPad App v2.3.7
GenieGo Firmware v1.6.p14-77861S
HR44-700 0x79e

Issue: GenieGo to HR44 Not Working
I downloaded the new version and checked out the new inclusive GenieGo capability. I found that while on my home network, the app would list the shows that are in my HR44, but when selecting them, I did not have the option to download the show or stream the show to my iPad. If I am connecting via OOH, the iPad app does not see the HR44 at all.

I found that if I perform a 30 second reset on the GG, the HR44 is then fully accessible. This lasts for about a day and then the HR44 is not accessible again for the GG from within the iPad app.

I am not having this issue with the HR34 or HR24 on my network.

Anyone else seeing this?

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an HR-34 and I've been seeing this exact same result since the update of my HR34 to the latest NR a couple weeks ago.  I hoped it would fix when the integrated directv app came out but it didn't.  I have been waiting until after the holiday season to call because I expect customer service is both busier than usual and the best help is on vacation.

#63 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

That's interesting since I don't have that issue with my HR34 and I think it is on the same release as the HR44. I might try the HR44 on a newer version to see if the issue persists.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#64 OFFLINE   thommason

thommason

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

I have an HR-34 and I've been seeing this exact same result since the update of my HR34 to the latest NR a couple weeks ago.  I hoped it would fix when the integrated directv app came out but it didn't.  I have been waiting until after the holiday season to call because I expect customer service is both busier than usual and the best help is on vacation.

I have iPad app version 2.3.7, GenieGO firmware 1.6.p14-77861S, H44-700 Receiver.  I have no problems using GenieGO with a mac but the whole iPad app integration thing seems very flakey.  It periodically loses contact with the Genie and then can only reconnect after terminating and restarting the app. Even when in contact with Genie it is often not able to get past downloading playlist spinning wheel.  When it does I can queue shows for download but nothing actually downloads.

Edited by thommason, 01 January 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,892 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Is it possible your iPad is full or nearly so? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#66 OFFLINE   thommason

thommason

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Is it possible your iPad is full or nearly so? 

34 GB free

#67 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

I have iPad app version 2.3.7, GenieGO firmware 1.6.p14-77861S, H44-700 Receiver.  I have no problems using GenieGO with a mac but the whole iPad app integration thing seems very flakey.  It periodically loses contact with the Genie and then can only reconnect after terminating and restarting the app. Even when in contact with Genie it is often not able to get past downloading playlist spinning wheel.  When it does I can queue shows for download but nothing actually downloads.

I'm seeing the same thing. Some days it works fine. Other days, I see the app frequently trying to connect to the GenieGo device. I also had to remove an auto-download series and reselect it in order to get it to auto-download. Before that, I watched it sit there for two days with no transciding activity, even though there were 5 episodes ready to be converted.

Today, everything seems to be working as expected. Go figure. :shrug:

/steve

#68 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,806 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

I currently have 10 transcoded shows in Genie device storage, as you can see on my iPhone (below). When I select "ready to download" on the iPad app, however, only 8 shows appear. I tried refreshing the iPad screen. I even quit the iPad app from the multi-task tray and restarted it. The iPad screen shot below was taken right after I did that.

Attached Thumbnails

• iPhone.PNG
  • iPad.JPG

/steve

#69 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 358 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

I feel like this "integrated" app should have gone through a little more beta testing before being released in the wild.  I am finding it crashes frequently when trying to use the app as  it was originally intended, and crashes even more frequently when using the GenieGo aspect.  I was trying to prepare and download a bunch of shows/movies for my wife the other day, and I would select a show to "download to iPad" and the app would crash.  Go to download a prepared show...crash.  Try to cancel a preparation...crash.   Try to look at what's on the iPad...crash. 

Overall, the experience is now just SLOW.  It takes forever to bring up a show's info in playlist mode and guide mode.  Moving the live TV window or resizing it is another laggy experience.  While I fully appreciate the integration, I can't wait for them to clean and polish it to shimmery perfection. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#70 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

I agree.  It seems at times it spends more time loading and looking for GG in between crashes-- even if you were just in the Playlist and back from the Guide.

I'd like to see the 'Search', search the Playlist (when in the Playlist) like it did in the stand-alone client.

#71 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 358 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

On another note...

Remember when we lost remote functionality for the PIG/PIL?  I found a workaround using the DAFI App.  Or perhaps this has been discussed/discovered before?  Anyway, recently I was playing around with the app and also had a remote in my hands.  I brought up the guide with the remote, and then was looking at a show's info from the live streaming section of the app.  I clicked on "watch on tv", expecting the guide to fall off of the tv and the show to pop up.  Instead, the show started playing in the PIG! 

Not an elegant solution for those who wanted to be able to change stations in the PIG to avoid spoilers or sports scores, but still, I found it neat. 

#72 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,669 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

I wonder if you could Pause the show via the app.

#73 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 358 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

I don't think so.  I tried to change the channel using the in-app remote and it didn't work.  Thinking perhaps that even the ip remote commands don't work in the PIG, but somehow the "Watch on TV" command does without removing the guide/list from the tv.  But, I'll give it a try later. 

BTW, all of this was tested on my Genie (HR44-500)

#74 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,544 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Let me add my name to the list of users who miss the FF or 30 SKIP button.

The scrub bar is fine for watching stuff while seated or standing still but when you're working out (stair stepper, elliptical machine, ect.) it's a super big pain to operate that damned thing.

I gave up on it this morning because I couldn't get to the start of the show after the commercials. Either too far or too early. Hey, there's a skip back button, why not a skip ahead?

Anyway, I hope it returns in a later version.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#75 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

But if you think about it, the play selection from the Playlist on the iPad isn't any different from selecting from the playlist via the remote and DVR.   You just happened to be in the Guide - which you can also select something to play.

And I haven't figured out when the scrub bar starts working.  Not in the first few minutes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...