Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie, Mini sharing and deleting HELP!

Best Answer veryoldschool , 20 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

You've limited deleting from the HR23, but there isn't a way to limit it from the 3 clients.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTybee Island, GA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Just upgraded from 3 DVR's and 2 HD23's to Genie, 3 mini's, 1 DVR and 1 HD23. I have a family of 4 and was limited to only 2 viewers at a time on a playlist. (I was networked with Cat6).

Settings/Whole-Home/Share Playlist? YES or NO......I say YES.

Allow Deletion From? All Rooms or This Room Only...I say This room only.

Doesn't restrict deletion from other receivers. Can I prevent deletion from other locations and still share? :confused:  

Subscriber since Feb 2002
HR22-100, H23-600, HR44-500, c41-700, C41-700, C41-700 
Network using DECA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:28 PM   Best Answer

You've limited deleting from the HR23, but there isn't a way to limit it from the 3 clients.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

I was afraid of that. The upgrade solves one problem (allowing many viewers to watch a recorded item at the same time), but doesn't offer deletion protection. 

Wife will not be happy. I will give her the the HR22 and then she will complain about not getting the 'New Hotness" instead of the "Old and Busted".

Network using DECA.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

The only other option might be to change the client(s) to H25(s). This loses the pause function [of live TV], but allows for the control of deleting.

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

I was afraid of that. The upgrade solves one problem (allowing many viewers to watch a recorded item at the same time), but doesn't offer deletion protection.
Wife will not be happy. I will give her the the HR22 and then she will complain about not getting the 'New Hotness" instead of the "Old and Busted".

Do people have a habit of deleting your stuff in your house?

#6 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yes. I usually watch and delete. My wife will save some stuff for others to watch (maybe). When one of hers gets deleted it is always my fault. 

The options are for her to use the Mini and NOT share her playlist or give her the HR22 so she can still share but control deletion.

Spoke to a CS person about this issue and she agreed that losing control of deletion can be a problem in some households.

Seemed to imply that the new wireless box might have more sharing control.

I consider this lack of deletion control is a Negative to the upgrade.

The ability to allow more then two people watch a DVR playlist is a Positive to the upgrade.

I do not regret making the upgrade but if wife isn't happy then nobody's happy.

Network using DECA.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

"Sounds like" she'll need her own DVR.

This is the only way to have her recordings "shared", but only deleted from "her DVR".

Might be worth looking into getting the HR22 swapped for an HR24.

A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well the wireless client is identical to the non wireless so that won't change a thing. Maybe you need a scheme. If it's keep till I delete only she deletes it? Or just have the HR22 record her stuff as you say and put it in the least used spot an she can go there once a week to delete but watch elsewhere. Maybe using keep till I delete will help her keep track of that remotely as well. The problem with not locking delete is that a genie mini is simply an outlet for the genie it's not a separate device. All things genie are tied together. What they need is a way to sort recordings by who makes them or sort then by tags we chose for them.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

What they need is a way to sort recordings by who makes them or sort then by tags we chose for them.

This has become more of a problem/issue with more than one viewer and less communication between them.

"Would be nice" if there was a sticky note equivalent that could be tagged to a recording.

A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

"Sounds like" she'll need her own DVR.

This is the only way to have her recordings "shared", but only deleted from "her DVR".

Might be worth looking into getting the HR22 swapped for an HR24.

I took advantage of the Protection Plan Genie & 3 Mini upgrade because it was FREE (with 2 year contract extension). The swap to an HR24 could be costly.

Network using DECA.

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

This has become more of a problem/issue with more than one viewer and less communication between them.

"Would be nice" if there was a sticky note equivalent that could be tagged to a recording.

Yes, I agree with that too...  That or like i have always said, being able to some how file them so you know whos recordings are whos with ease.  I've beat a 1000 dead horses, but Ill do it one more time, Replaytv had a perfect system for this!

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

I've used the blue dot for that purpose, the one with letter k in the center. But I live with cautious people, who'd never delete anything but their own.... so far!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...