Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Few Hopper Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dherndon

dherndon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

My DirecTV HR20 is on it's last leg......my kids have another one upstairs.   So finally I have a reasons to shop around.   Really this time..... really.   Considering Dish/Hopper.

With the Hopper/Joey combination, I understand the hopper is a "server".

Is there a way to isolate all the junk my kids watch (they have 50 subscriptions to every kid TV show.....) so I don't have to see those downstairs on the Hopper itself?   Or do I have to wade through all their junk they view upstairs on a Joey, while i'm using the Hopper?

Also, I know the HD in the Hopper is much bigger than the 200meg or so I have in my old HR20.  (2 of them)    Can you set a quota on how many recordings the kids can make from the Joey upstairs?   How much of the HD they can consume?    Or can they consume all the disk on the Hopper leaving me downstairs deleting stuff to make room?   ;-)   I really don't want to share......

I can only assume the Hopper is fairly snappy performance wise.   The HR20 has never been "snappy", of course, it's dying now and is dog slow......even though the HD test came out OK, it has to be that.....it's 5-6 years old.  Amazed it lasted that long.

Thanks,

Dave.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

My DirecTV HR20 is on it's last leg......my kids have another one upstairs.   So finally I have a reasons to shop around.   Really this time..... really.   Considering Dish/Hopper.

With the Hopper/Joey combination, I understand the hopper is a "server".

Is there a way to isolate all the junk my kids watch (they have 50 subscriptions to every kid TV show.....) so I don't have to see those downstairs on the Hopper itself?   Or do I have to wade through all their junk they view upstairs on a Joey, while i'm using the Hopper?

Also, I know the HD in the Hopper is much bigger than the 200meg or so I have in my old HR20.  (2 of them)    Can you set a quota on how many recordings the kids can make from the Joey upstairs?   How much of the HD they can consume?    Or can they consume all the disk on the Hopper leaving me downstairs deleting stuff to make room?   ;-)   I really don't want to share......

I can only assume the Hopper is fairly snappy performance wise.   The HR20 has never been "snappy", of course, it's dying now and is dog slow......even though the HD test came out OK, it has to be that.....it's 5-6 years old.  Amazed it lasted that long.

Thanks,

Dave.

You can isolate recordings by creating folders and then have the recordings placed into those folders.  This will allow you to separate yours and theirs.

I'm not aware of a quota but what you can do is setup your recordings to be protected automatically so the hopper won't delete them when it needs room.  Then as either you or they record stuff if room is needed the hopper will delete their stuff to make room.

I find the performance of the hopper pretty good.  It almost never takes more than a couple seconds for the system to do what I ask.

• dherndon likes this
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#3 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Hopper has 2TB HD with 1.2TB for the user.

#4 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

The Hopper does allow where you can tell it not to save any more than 20 eps of Sponge Bob or whatever.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

spam firewall