Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will the HR44 be 802.11ac, or upgradable to same?

HR44 802.11ac

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Can't find the original mention about wifi from a week or so ago - so, will the HR44 be transitioning up to 802.11ac?

I have a new router arriving next week up to that spec.  Due for free upgrade next June and also hoping by then we can have 2 Genies on 1 account.  We have two separate systems; but, both on the one account.

I'd like to move my HR34 over to the guesthouse for my father-in-law when he visits - to replace the 2 tuner DVR.  Get an HR44 for my wife and me.  Just wondering if that might be running 802.11ac by summer - or is it a new model folks were mentioning?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

I can't speak to the 802.11ac issue but I am wondering if activating two Genies on one account has been resolved?
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yes, it's been resolved a long time: Not doable.... :)  OK, I understand your question, and no, there's no movement on it. But I do expect that one day.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

That's what I thought but wasn't 100% sure.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

I wouldn't expect the 44 to be upgraded to ac either. I would think the hardware would need to be ac compatible from the beginning, with the 80mhz channel bandwidths. I don't think that's just software.

#6 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,310 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

there is really no benefit for users or DirecTV to use "ac" as the bottleneck is your ISP.  "n" is more than enough 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,720 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

I think if they ever make an HR54 it could have 802.11ac and GenieGo built into the DVR itself. The 802.11ac would help stream more HD streams to wireless mini genies without hampering your wireless shared medium. Then maybe C51's could come out with built in 802.11ac and no extra wireless CCK or other adapters needed. Just a thought.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,673 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

You are assuming they would also build in a wvb into the genie. If they did that then maybe, but otherwise there's really no point. I have a feeling they will always make wvb separately available too though so that they can be placed farther away from the genie and as close as possible to the wireless clients when needed. Really it will come down to cost. Not why build in the wvb for an extra 50 to 100 when I'll bet less than 20% of people will want wireless. At least at first.

#9 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,720 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

I guess it depends on how far off the next receiver is. If it's not until 4k decoding and recording makes its debut, then maybe 802.11ac or wireless clients in general will be in great demand. If we are looking at the tail end of 14' or early 15' for the successor to the HR44, then maybe it is too early to build in. I do however think the GenieGo could be built into the HR44's successor. The middle and high end TiVo roamio's have their TiVo stream transcoder built in, while the entry model does not. If DirecTV goes with a similar Broadcom SoC, GenieGo features could potentially be available without having yet another box hanging off your network. So maybe that would be an interim model before one where wireless AC really takes off and cost comes down.

Edited by cypherx, 23 December 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,673 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Heck the hr44 may be able to do 4k now! Who knows! As for genie go I just don't see them adding it because of cost. No other reason but cost.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HR44, 802.11ac

spam firewall