Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Runaway Channel up/down

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Recently, Ive had a problem with not only the Genie HR34, but also my H24 receiver.   Ill turn it on, and hit channel up or channel down, and the power led with just start flashing, and the receiver will start going up/down channels in a rapid fashion.  Covering the remote (does it with both Harmony and DirecTv remote) doesnt help.   Only way to get it to stop, is to hit SELECT, which then stops the box on whatever channel it happened to be on when you hit SELECT.

Cant repeat it.  Just seems to happen at random, and it two different rooms, so doubt its stray IR.

Anyone else notice this?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Recently, Ive had a problem with not only the Genie HR34, but also my H24 receiver.   Ill turn it on, and hit channel up or channel down, and the power led with just start flashing, and the receiver will start going up/down channels in a rapid fashion.  Covering the remote (does it with both Harmony and DirecTv remote) doesnt help.   Only way to get it to stop, is to hit SELECT, which then stops the box on whatever channel it happened to be on when you hit SELECT.

Cant repeat it.  Just seems to happen at random, and it two different rooms, so doubt its stray IR.

Anyone else notice this?

Yes.

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#3 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

yes I've seen it too on my HR34

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Anyone else notice this?

Had that happen once among all boxes and that was at least a couple of years ago.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Poltergeist?

Malevolent installer?

Forgotten remote under seat cushion?

:coffee  

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

I forgot how I stop mine, but I've broken a DirecTV remote in a fit of rage (Haven't most of us!) and I seem to remember seeing a board with with a second set of matching contacts that is underneath the buttons we push. I just figured the underneath contact got stuck somehow.

Edited by Drucifer, 22 December 2013 - 12:36 AM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

Nope. Never even come close to breaking a DIRECTV remote in a fit of rage.

#8 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

When this happens on my HR34 I stop it with  the EXIT button. It may or may not land on the channel I want.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#9 OFFLINE   gvc

gvc

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

have it happen on my HR34 at least once per day, sometimes more. Was going to buy a new remote but now I wont since its happening to others recently.  Just started a few weeks ago.  I have also had the remote unresponsive to many of the key buttons. (hr34 only).  When this happens , I usually use another remote from a different room and it works fine.  Other times, the menu button will work and then its seems wake up the rest of the buttons.

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

I would have suspected the usual suspects, except that it happened to me with my Harmony 900 too. My parents had the same issue last week with their DirecTv remote at their house.   Ill chalk it up to a software bug I guess, and instruct mom how to hit the select button or exit if it does it again.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#11 OFFLINE   gvc

gvc

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

This morning I was able to turn the tv/hr34 on but the remote was completely unresponsive (even with new batteries).  Harmony remote wouldn't work either.  Had to do a complete reset to get everything back to normal.

Edited by gvc, 23 December 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

Just happened on HR24-500. Ch. up, started zipping through channels. Simply ch. down stopped the run away...

#13 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

I would have suspected the usual suspects, except that it happened to me with my Harmony 900 too. My parents had the same issue last week with their DirecTv remote at their house.   Ill chalk it up to a software bug I guess, and instruct mom how to hit the select button or exit if it does it again.

Interesting, Dave. I just had an HR44 installed which does a weird thing.  Installer put in new stuff on the dish and new splitter since I didn't have a SWM before. Also connected is older HR22 and H21. 

During the first hour or so when first turned on in the morning, the HR44 will just tune up one channel all by itself. Seems to do it 2-4 times in the first hour, then maybe again once a couple hours later. What is interesting is that it doesn't display a banner when the channel changes like it would if you do it with a remote. I've considered all the possible IR sources and buried the remotes so they don't point toward the tv or any reflective surface. Still does a channel change.  Also disconnected the other receivers in case they were feeding signals back.

Wondered if it was the router doing something weird. I'm going to disconnect the internet cable to see if it does the same thing just to eliminate the possibility there is something strange coming down that line into the HR44.

Tech support at Directv didn't have a solution but said they could send out a tech. Don't know what they would do except replace all the new stuff they just installed. Doesn't seem to be widespread, but having similar problems in Central AR  is not normal, Looks like a software issue since you have a different model unit than I do. Or the NSA could be spying on us :^)

Allen

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

It must be caused by Obamacare.  It should fix itself after the 1st :)

#15 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

It must be caused by Obamacare.  It should fix itself after the 1st :)

I didn't want to wait for Obamascare to fix it. Called tech support and they escalated it. Tech came out, checked out the install, decided to replace the 44 with a new one and left new RF remote.I first got IR remotes which he said shouldn't have happened.  Seems to have fixed the random channel change

When I mentioned your problem to him he said he replaces 34s with 44s when he is sent out and didn't seem surprised you had a problem.

My other receivers are h21 and hr22 and haven't had the runaway channels with those units.

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Ive had a H24 since it was first released, and never had a problem with it, but last week, it started zipping through channels too.  Got to be something in the software, so I totally expect you will have the problem again eventually :)  Maybe not, but I wouldnt bet money on it.

spam firewall