Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just a gripe about "new" customer offers...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

I have been a dish sub since 2001. I wanted to get the deal for a hopper and iPad 2. I was told it was for "new" customers only. They said it was not available to existing subs because when I was a "new" customer I received an offer. I laughed and told the CSR that I bought my receiver (a 2900 or something) at Sears and paid full price for the equipment. She said she had no record of that. I said no problem and hung up, but the issue has been bothering me. It is not like I am gonna jump ship or anything, it just pisses me off that I can not take advantage of a great deal because I supposedly received a discount when I first signed up. It kind of sucks especially since I had to pay about 300 bucks out of pocket just to get service. That's life I suppose.....

Edited by cj9788, 21 December 2013 - 08:21 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,648 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:49 AM

CSR's are a luck of the draw regardless of which service you subscribe to. Perhaps a request to speak with DISH's retention dept. will get you better results.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:29 AM

Your best bet to get a "new customer" offer is to switch to cable for 3 months (I think that's how long you have to be away to be counted as new), and then come back.  Cable typically has no contract or long-term commitments.  If there's a season of the year you don't watch as much television, that'd be the time to do it.

DirecTV's Customer Retention department will often give people new customer offers to retain them, but this has not been Dish's policy.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,893 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

It depends on cable, and can get really stupid. A friend of mine was looking to buy a cable modem so that his parents didn't have to pay the lease fee. He was told that the fee was included in the bundle, and that they would have to pay an ETF, even though they were not leaving time warner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,154 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

You might check with Dish to see if they're still offering a free iPad to people who refer 3 people who sign up with a Hopper install. I know some people who got that in past half a year or so. Of course not only do you get the free iPad but $5/mo for 10 months for each person you refer. So basically $150 bucks and a free iPad. Like I said not sure if they're still offering the free iPad or not, but it's probably worth calling and asking.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

You are going about it the wrong way. You can save the cost of that IPAD by taking advantage of customer discounts. Have you ever asked? Many can get even a core package discount for period of time, 6 months to a year. $10 is often the norm. If you get HBO or the sports package, both have been available at 1/2 off. And depending on how much you spend combined with being a long time customer, DISH does give a good deal to existing customers to upgrade, much better than DIRECT does for it's best receiver. 

Edited by tampa8, 22 December 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:52 AM

These offers have strings.  More like leashes with choke collars actually.  You stray, they tug 'til you heel.

And no, I won't refer anyone to Dish.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

I have been a dish sub since 2001. I wanted to get the deal for a hopper and iPad 2. I was told it was for "new" customers only. They said it was not available to existing subs because when I was a "new" customer I received an offer. I laughed and told the CSR that I bought my receiver (a 2900 or something) at Sears and paid full price for the equipment. She said she had no record of that. I said no problem and hung up, but the issue has been bothering me. It is not like I am gonna jump ship or anything, it just pisses me off that I can not take advantage of a great deal because I supposedly received a discount when I first signed up. It kind of sucks especially since I had to pay about 300 bucks out of pocket just to get service. That's life I suppose.....

cj9788,

I understand you are interested in a Hopper upgrade and I am happy to check all available options for you. Would you please PM me with the phone number on the account to better help you?

Thanks

#9 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

I hope you've been able to work it out.  In a sorta-kinda way, I'm  in the same boat.  Basically I'm happy w/Dish but because of bracket creep ;) (my term for price increases and when credits run out) my bill is more than I'd like it to be (but I don't really want to drop to a lower pkg).  I'm looking at a few different options to qualify as 'new'-1) switch to Direct and take one of there offers 2) Switch to cable 3)drop Dish for a while (90 days) and resubscribe   1&2 aren't exactly what I want.  With option 3 I could go with OTA and Roku (but as a sports fan I won't be doing this at least till after the superbowl & olympics LOL).  I realize that after a year with any of these prices would climb back up, but 'averaging' would make it easier to swallow ;)

#10 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

These offers have strings.  More like leashes with choke collars actually.  You stray, they tug 'til you heel.

And no, I won't refer anyone to Dish.

Strings?

Every one I mentioned is available at one time or another, sometimes at the same time to many current subscribers. What was the string to 1 cent Cinemax, 1/2 off HBO for 6 months, $5 package discount for a year? Those offers NEVER require any commitment.

#11 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

I have been a Dish customer since 2003.

I'm not sure why the "when I was a 'new' customer I received and offer" is even relevant here - sounds like BS.

I have received "free" upgrades of my equipment 3 or 4 times and my status when I was "new" has never been mentioned.

Just go buy yourself an iPad and save everyone the misery.

Edited by Jim5506, 11 January 2014 - 01:04 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#12 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Just to note it since it was mentioned above.  I was told by a CSR today that the "refer 3 friends and get an iPad" offer has ended/expired.  Looks like that one was not renewed past the end of 2013.

- John...

#13 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

It has been extended http://apicdn.viglin...earchid=8095002

Protected By... spam firewall...And...