Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Not getting a signal

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jjk454ss

jjk454ss

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Service call setup for Tuesday. Thanks again for all the help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Close the loop if you would and tell us what was wrong. For me at least it builds my personal knowledge base.
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#23 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

One last thing here before you make the service call. Since you started with two receivers on the original install as seem to have just removed one at a later date, there is a potential problem with an "unterminated" connection. The way SWM works there cannot be any "open" lines in the system. All connections to the system must be hooked to a receiver or have a 75 ohm cap put on them. I understand that you are probably confused by some of this terminology, but if you just have a coax line sitting with just nothing connected to the end of it; this is an "open" line. If you have a line like this you need to go to Home Depot (to the TV section of the Electrical department) and get a barrel connector and a 75 ohm terminator. The guy who works in that section should be able to point you to both those items. Just screw the barrel connector to your "open" coax connector and then put a 75 ohm terminator on the end. If this does not correct your issues you need to call for service.

#24 OFFLINE   jjk454ss

jjk454ss

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have the service call scheduled for tomorrow, but I will try the cap today since there is an extra line. Either way, I'll let you guys know when we get it fixed. Thanks again

#25 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

BBC is Broad Band Converter. They took those off my HR23 and H21 when they installed the SWM system.

Edit: The HR23 has them built in.

Note:

BBC actually stands for "B Band Converter."

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Note:

BBC actually stands for "B Band Converter."

OK.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   jjk454ss

jjk454ss

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

No Home Depot here, couldn't find anything at the hardware store. Radio Shack told me that a Matching Transformer will work. It says it's to connect a device with 300 ohm to another device that has 75 ohm coax connector.

Should this work?

Thanks

Could someone maybe post a link to what I need? Nowhere I go do they know what I'm talking about.

Edited by jjk454ss, 23 December 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

Actually it's just a little screw cap that fits on the 75 ohm male fitting.  Quite frankly if I were you I'd just relax and let the tech square you away tomorrow.  While there's a possibility it's something simple like a terminator cap I actually doubt that's the problem.  As for the Radio Shack guy.....run do not walk away from the store if he doesn't know what a terminator cap is for a 75 ohm outlet. 

• BobStokesbary likes this
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#29 OFFLINE   jjk454ss

jjk454ss

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, your probably right. I should wait until tomorrow. I'd just rather not wait at home for up to 4 hours on Christmas Eve for a tech to cone out. Especially if it's something simple like this cap.

Btw, I found the right Terminating Resistor.

Thanks

#30 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

And the problem/issue was???? 

Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#31 OFFLINE   jjk454ss

jjk454ss

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

He came out and found a small nick in the coax, fixed it then left. But it didn't fix the problem, so he is supposed to come back later today.

#32 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

Interesting that the tech would just replace a bad piece of cable and call it quits.  I'd assume it worked, or appeared to work, before he left or he was in a hurry since it was Christmas Eve and he wanted to get home.  Of course if it's an intermittent issue or problem that can be beyond frustrating.  Been there, done that.   Of course I had a moment of "what-the-heck" when my Internet disappeared from my DirecTV system yesterday morning.  Once I calmed down....well, I was actually more perplexed than upset.....I retraced what I'd done Christmas with my setup.  Turned out I'd accidently loosened the power supply on the CCK while either installing a new Oppo Blu-ray Christmas Eve day, my Pioneer Elite decided to pass away Sunday night and no amount of trouble shooting would bring it back, or when I hooked up a new PS4 my wife got me for Christmas.  Probably should have been the first device I checked but it wasn't so I spent probably 30 minutes checked my modem, router, switches, etc., until I noticed the CCK, which is stuffed away in the back of my theater equipment closet, was dark.....duh.  Stuff happens. 

Edited by randyk47, 27 December 2013 - 10:53 AM.

Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#33 OFFLINE   jjk454ss

jjk454ss

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, it can be frustrating having to use the process of elimination to figure it out. It's always been intermittent, I don't blame the tech for leaving, it was working fine while he was still there. He never showed up yesterday, but is supposed to be back sometime this afternoon, so hopefully it will get resolved today.

Edited by jjk454ss, 27 December 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   jjk454ss

jjk454ss

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

Sorry I forgot to post back here. The tech came back about 10 days ago, I wasn't home, so I'm not sure what he did. But from the sounds of it he may have replaced the LNB because it was something out by the dish itself.. I even called DirecTV and they couldn't tell me what he did. But whatever it was, it's fixed. Been working great ever since. Thanks again for all the help and ideas.

Edited by jjk454ss, 07 January 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,777 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...