Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hey Phrelin - You've mentioned two Californias before ---

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

Tim Draper has more money than sense, particularly political sense based on his political failures to date. However, the ballot measure does have a certain appeal  You can download the PDF copy of it here. His measure designates six states by counties to be in the six new states. But it allows the counties to decide to be in different states if they so desire.

The smallest of the new states by population is Jefferson with slightly less than a million people. The next smallest one has 3.5 million and the remainder are much larger.

The problem is that the measure combines counties that do not have anything in common.  Draper's proposal uses horizontal divisions of the north part of the State which fly in the face of geology, geography, demographics, political orientation, etc. However, it wouldn't be too bad overall if most of the Coastal counties in North California and Jefferson were combined with Silicon Valley and the inland counties in North California were combined with Jefferson, reducing the number of new states to Five.

It all depends on Congress approving the proposal if the California voters approved it. I won't hold my breath. :sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

From the map shown in today's LA Times it looks like Draper is trying to create four Republican (Jefferson, North California, South California, and Central California) and two Democratic states (West California including LA, and Silicon Valley including SF) from one Democratic state. Draper claims he is non-partisan.

We sure don't need ten more senators. I might vote for a proposition that got rid of ten senators, though.  :righton:

• Laxguy likes this
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#103 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

From the map shown in today's LA Times it looks like Draper is trying to create four Republican (Jefferson, North California, South California, and Central California) and two Democratic states (West California including LA, and Silicon Valley including SF) from one Democratic state. Draper claims he is non-partisan.

We sure don't need ten more senators. I might vote for a proposition that got rid of ten senators, though.  :righton:

Get rid of the hundred we have and replace them by random draw. Could not be worse than what we have now.

#104 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

And to bring us up date: Six Californias initiative fails to qualify

What Tim Draper, the Silicon Valley venture capitalist who spent $5.2 million on the measure, knows about politics would fill a thimble but his ego crowds the state. On the other hand, he shared his wealth as a lot of people needing work made some money on the signature gathering process.

I first put my Three Californias website up July 15, 2005. It has been quoted extensively by or served as footnotes for others over the years, but no one emailed me to offer a million bucks to start a petition drive. :sure:

Edited by phrelin, 12 September 2014 - 06:18 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#105 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

What Tim Draper, the Silicon Valley venture capitalist who spent $5.2 million on the measure, knows about politics would fill a thimble but his ego crowds the state. On the other hand, he shared his wealth as a lot of people needing work made some money on the signature gathering process.

I first put my Three Californias website up July 15, 2005. It has been quoted extensively by or served as footnotes for others over the years, but no one emailed me to offer a million bucks to start a petition drive. :sure:

Too bad you should have let me know you needed the money. I am currently funding a petition drive in Nigeria. :)

#106 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,477 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

As you mentioned earlier, more money than sense!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...