Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

get certain ota channels on one tv but not the other..

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

I have an ota antenna but, I get all the "available" local channels on one tv but not the other. When I do a scan, it comes up no signal or the signal is broken.. I am using a splitter  so the wiring should be the same.. I really don't understand.. thanks for your help..

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

btw almost all the channels are coming from one set of antennas.. and trust me , I can see the antennas from my house.. easily.. 

#3 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

Insufficient info. What brand/model TVs are you using, or are you using converter boxes? Have you tried swapping the TVs or tuners to confirm that the signal is present at both drop locations? Is the TV set for "antenna/off-air" rather than for "cable"?

I remember when DirecTV upgraded its software in the early HDTV boxes (H86?) to include the advanced program guide, if you didn't enter the zip code, it would say "no channels found" even though that receiver's signal meter would show it had found some.

Edited by AntAltMike, 23 December 2013 - 07:08 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

1>  Did it ever work?

2>  Have you verified that  the cabling is good in both locations?

#5 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:44 AM

I had similiar problems and found that the coax connectors were causing it.  I cut the connectors and replaced them with new GOOD ones.  Problems solved.  Also, the signal level might be a bit low.  You could try adding an antenna amplifier to see if it helps...  I bought one from Walmart and it was only about $15.  It helped.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Is the TV set for "antenna/off-air" rather than for "cable"?

This seems like the most likely problem.

Another possibility is that the splitter is bad. Switching legs would identify this immediately.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

actually I would think the signal level would be TOO HIGH.. while you can't literally shoot the lights out on the tower with a '22', I can easily see the tower from the back porch.. roughly a mile as the crow flies, away.. I have used two different tuners on the tv that does not get the channel.. the tv tuner and a VHS / dvd tuner.. and the tv tuner..I would guess that the connections are 'not the best".. I could switch out the splitter.. I am just using a low end wrap around antenna on the dish.. it was designed for the old round dish but we put it on the slimline..  

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

actually I would think the signal level would be TOO HIGH.. while you can't literally shoot the lights out on the tower with a '22', I can easily see the tower from the back porch.. roughly a mile as the crow flies, away.. I have used two different tuners on the tv that does not get the channel.. the tv tuner and a VHS / dvd tuner.. and the tv tuner..I would guess that the connections are 'not the best".. I could switch out the splitter.. I am just using a low end wrap around antenna on the dish.. it was designed for the old round dish but we put it on the slimline..  

Is one a newer tv and one an older tv?  Are you sure the one not working isn't an NTSC tuner?  More than likely, to receive any of those channels from the towers you can see out you window will require an ATSC tuner

Protected By... spam firewall...And...