Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

11 years with out HD Locals

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

I did a post last year called "another year without Locals in HD".....This is an update to that post....So I am again without my locals in HD for 11years now....Every other provider including Direct tv has them in HD....And NO, why would I spend extra money for an antenna for something I should be getting anyway?  It amazes me that with the population and the number of Dish network customers in Rapid City and the cabins/homes in the Black Hills that cannot have cable because of the terrain, that wouldn't be more of a priority.  I love my Dish but come on now, its nearly 2014.....No excuses not to have HD Locals anywhere....And every year, someone from Dish puts a request in for me....Same results....Nada.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,777 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Unless you switch providers you'll most likely be posting this issue next year.

• damondlt likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

What DMA are you in?  Is it large enough to warrant DISH providing them?  If not, don't you qualify for distant locals?

#4 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Not sure how the distant locals works I guess.  Also not sure what DMA means.  I would be interested to know if that would work.

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,793 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

What city are your locals transmitting from ? - This is probably your DMA - my guess would be Rapid City SD  ?

With absolutely no info on your location - I can only guess based on your username.

And BTW - getting your locals in HD over the Air (OTA) will probably get you a BETTER picture than Dish (or Direct Tv) can deliver to you. As well as provide a bad weather backup (you are out on the great plains where you do have thunderstorms ? )

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

What DMA are you in?  Is it large enough to warrant DISH providing them?  If not, don't you qualify for distant locals?

DISH and DirecTV cannot offer a distant in a market where there is a local of the same affiliate. So distants are out. (Some DirecTV customers may be grandfathered.)
AAD can offer distants if he is in a white area or can get a waiver but AAD is SD only.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

OTA would be the best option anyway, even tho it'll cost u a tiny bit of $.  Even after HD locals get added to dish, the OTA will ensure you have local stations during "retransmission negotiations" and dish has to take away your locals because of a dispute, you'll still have them via OTA.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#8 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

I actually live in the Lead/Deadwood area.  And yes my locals are from Rapid City.  It still makes no sense that I would have to spend more money to go OTA when I already pay the same amount as all the users who do have locals in HD.  It seems to me that I am not getting my monies worth compared to others. In this the year of 2014, there shouldn't even be a question on having or not having HD locals.  We shouldn't even be having this conversation to begin with. HD should be a given. We normally don't have to worry about losing locals to thunderstorms....We have to deal with lots and lots of snow in the Black Hills which doesn't usually mess with them very often for some reason.

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

I understand what your saying but I'd have an over the air antenna too just because I like backups in general and that could help till you get your locals. Odd you don't have them in Hi Definition yet though anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,793 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

FIne - let's put this in terms anyone can understand  - "HOW MANY POTENTIAL DISH HD VIEWERS ARE IN YOUR LOCAL'S DMA  ?"

The long and short of a market getting HD locals comes down to how much potential profit there is. I'm guessing that Rapid City is pretty small in the scheme of things - therefore - it makes Rapid City less likely to get  Dish HD locals than say, Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville (where I live).

#11 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

No offense, but I haven't actually taken a poll of my area....However, it shouldn't make any difference how many of us there are.  The point is I pay the same as you do for my locals and I am not getting the same for my money as you are.  In the time we live in with all the technology of computers, cell phones and everything else....It is absolutely asinine that all channels are not in HD.  Charlie spends a lot of money on all these technologies and potential buyouts....Don't you think they could figure out how to get locals in HD?  Just because Rapid City's population is only 70,000 not including the surrounding area that carry their locals, doesn't mean we are not as important or deserving of HD locals as anyone else.  Maybe, you should be charged double the price for locals in HD than those of us who aren't important enough for Dish to be able to carry HD locals.  Just a thought.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

No offense, but I haven't actually taken a poll of my area....However, it shouldn't make any difference how many of us there are.  The point is I pay the same as you do for my locals and I am not getting the same for my money as you are.  In the time we live in with all the technology of computers, cell phones and everything else....It is absolutely asinine that all channels are not in HD.  Charlie spends a lot of money on all these technologies and potential buyouts....Don't you think they could figure out how to get locals in HD?  Just because Rapid City's population is only 70,000 not including the surrounding area that carry their locals, doesn't mean we are not as important or deserving of HD locals as anyone else.  Maybe, you should be charged double the price for locals in HD than those of us who aren't important enough for Dish to be able to carry HD locals.  Just a thought.

So it sounds like you live in a pretty small DMA which makes it understandable why DISH may not be offering your locals in HD yet or possibly ever.  Your other statement though.  Its absolutely asinine that there are still millions upon millions of DISH and Directv subscribers that still have just SD, so you can see your statement it what is really asinine...it may not be what you want, but it is the current reality that you might want to learn to adjust to.  It will be years before stand def is gone....

#13 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,793 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Just to add to ccarncross comment about the number of SD receivers still out there -

http://www.dbstalk.c...ll-active-on-e/

#14 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

After pulling up 57732 on TVfool you might as well be satisfied with the SD broadcasts that you are getting.  Fox and ABC seems to be your available broadcasters OTA on VHF lo &high channels all 2 edge.  I guess if you don't like the SD broadcasts from DISH you can always switch to Directv   You look like you are in an area you just have to be thankful you have something to watch HD or SD.

#15 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

Not knowing your exact location in the Deadwood/Lead area, I just picked a spot on Gusherst st. near Billings Ave. and the reception is not that bad.  You should get 2 ABC's (KHSD 11.1 (10) and KOTA 3.1 (2)) plus NBC on the translator K40GS on channel 40 and 2 FOX network channels (KIVV 5.1 (5) and KEVN 7.1 (7).

RF channels 5, 10 and 40 are pretty close (about 5 miles WSW) on Terry Peak, the others are either out of Rapid City (KOTA) or Spearfish to the NNW (K04GW - PBS).

If you go with the 3 channels that are on Terry Hilly you get FOX, ABC and NBC, there is no CBS in sight, and the signals are pretty strong so a small all channel antenna like the Antenna Direct 5884 ($42.99) or Channel master 5016 or 2018 ($89.99 and $69.99) should get all three, then you can add the PBS station from Spearfish on ch4 if you want to with a large VHF LOW band antenna like the Antennas Direct Y526 ($32.99) or the Antenna Craft Y5-2-6 ($27.99).

Edited by Jim5506, 03 January 2014 - 11:31 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

I think that all the providers should start selling the locals in sd and the locals in hd that they are charged to carry seperatly so we can see how much we are being charged for them and if we don't want them we don't have to have them.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

I think that all the providers should start selling the locals in sd and the locals in hd that they are charged to carry seperatly so we can see how much we are being charged for them and if we don't want them we don't have to have them.

Until Congress changes the law that can't happen. Carry one carry all means deliver one deliver all. (All who have agreed to be carried.) DISH and DirecTV are not required to carry any local channels in each market, but if they carry one they must carry all. (DISH and DirecTV are also not required to carry locals in HD.)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

That doesn't affect what I m suggesting at all. Showing people how much they are being charged and giving the customer the option to not subscribe to a channel that they would be charged for is a totally different thing then saying they have to carry channels that want to be carried if an agreement can be reached. DIRECTV, dish, and everyone else would still be carrying the channel, people just wouldn't have to subscribe to it.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

That doesn't affect what I m suggesting at all. Showing people how much they are being charged and giving the customer the option to not subscribe to a channel that they would be charged for is a totally different thing then saying they have to carry channels that want to be carried if an agreement can be reached. DIRECTV, dish, and everyone else would still be carrying the channel, people just wouldn't have to subscribe to it.

DISH *cannot* give the customer the option to not subscribe to some of their locals. It is specifically forbidden by law. DISH must deliver all the local channels they have in a market or none to each customer. They *cannot* split the locals package and allow customers to opt out of some channels. It is forbidden.

The law would need to be changed before the locals package could be split.

The only exception to the "carry one carry all" law is if a station chooses not to be carried. In that case DISH is forbidden from delivering that particular station to any customer within that market. The channels in the market that agree to carriage (either by choosing "must carry" or choosing "consent to carry" and coming to an agreement) must be delivered to all customers subscribing to locals in that market. All or none.

47 USC § 338 (a) Carriage obligations
Each satellite carrier providing, under section 122 of title 17, secondary transmissions to subscribers located within the local market of a television broadcast station of a primary transmission made by that station shall carry upon request the signals of all television broadcast stations located within that local market ...

47 USC § 338 (d) Channel positioning
... the satellite carrier shall retransmit the signal of the local television broadcast stations to subscribers in the stations’ local market on contiguous channels and provide access to such station’s signals at a nondiscriminatory price and in a nondiscriminatory manner on any navigational device, on-screen program guide, or menu.

#20 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

There is nothing in the law that says I as a subscriber must buy all the locals or DISH has to sell them only as a package, it is ONLY that DISH must make them all available if they do one, and they should be approximately the same price each. 

Forced to carry them and forcing it to be part of any package or sold only all together are two very very different things. They must be available each network at about the same cost, no more than that. Nothing prevents them from selling them as an add on package for any amount, or selling them A La Carte at any price, as long as all networks are selling at approximately the same price.

Think about it - if they all had to be sold together only, what would it matter if DISH charged more for one of them? The very reason the same cost is in the law is because they can be sold individually.

I see a misconception I think in a post - DISH does not have to carry the locals in SD, and in fact in many markets do not. And they do not have to carry them in HD, in some markets do not even though they are available in HD.

Edited by tampa8, 05 January 2014 - 01:38 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...