Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

11 years with out HD Locals

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

DISH cannot sell individual locals a la carte. They can split the locals off of the main package (as they did up until 2011) but they cannot price and sell stations within the same market separately. It would be discriminatory to the less popular stations.

Tampa, your suggestion that DISH charge the same price for each local and let subscribers pick which ones they want is discriminatory. You're suggesting that a station that has chosen "must carry" forfeiting any compensation for carriage should be at risk of having customers not receive their station? Some penny pinching customer decides they want the big four but wants to save a couple of bucks so they don't get the independent stations in the market? Perhaps the customer would never watch them anyways but the whole point of the law is having all stations in the market offered in a non-discriminatory way. And that means carry one carry all ... and if any are carried in HD all must be offered carriage in HD.

And while stations do not have to be offered in SD, DISH cannot sell just the HD locals and not include the SD stations in that market. They cannot deliver the SD locals without the HD stations (or SD equivalents) with all stations in the locals package available from the same dish. No discrimination. All or none.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

So in the end, Dish doesn't really care about smaller markets.  Every other provider apparently does in a market but Dish says take your SD stations and like it or lump it.  Even tho your competition all has it....Eh, we don't need em any how..... "Now then....What other company can we buy to spend our money on instead of using it for our customers or potential customers?"    BTW, don't get me wrong, other than this issue, Dish is by far better than Direct.  I just don't get why this is an issue in the first place.  So, you may commence flaming me as needed.

#23 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

That may or may not be to varying degrees of correctness. We're mostly just customers here so we really don't have answers to "why" type questions. Even customer support reps usually have scripted answers that don't really explain "why".

Years ago I used to work at one of the largest tech companies in America and for amusement I would sometimes read forums about our company and products to see what random outside people were saying about "why" we did what we did. I'd say they got it right about 10% of the time, and the guy who got it right was frequently not believed by the rest. So in the end it was just a bunch of random theories.

In short, we really don't know. We can give you our guesses and we can give you our best end-user workarounds like get an antenna, switch providers etc.

So, if the theories amuse/interest you, as they do me, feel free to hang out. If you just want locals in HD, an antenna would appear to be quicker. ;)

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

So in the end, Dish doesn't really care about smaller markets.  Every other provider apparently does in a market but Dish says take your SD stations and like it or lump it.  Even tho your competition all has it....Eh, we don't need em any how..... "Now then....What other company can we buy to spend our money on instead of using it for our customers or potential customers?"    BTW, don't get me wrong, other than this issue, Dish is by far better than Direct.  I just don't get why this is an issue in the first place.  So, you may commence flaming me as needed.

DISH simply has not gotten around to your market yet. DISH upgraded several markets to HD last year ... and no carrier delivers HD locals into every market in the US. Cable companies have the benefit of only needing to serve each local market without backhauls across the country and spotbeam satellites. And cable does not serve every community.

I realize that to the individual subscriber THEIR market is the most important in the nation (to hell with every other market). DISH has to deal with all markets. Hopefully they will get to yours this year.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

I really know that is the case...It is just frustrating to no end spending the money I do for Dish and not have HD signals.  Its also interesting to hear it from others who more than likely already get locals in HD tell me how I should spend extra money for OTA HD.  By the way, I live in the Black Hills and a friend who does have OTA and he has a hell of the time with getting a steady signal which he finds very frustrating. 

#26 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

A few years ago Dish had a price dispute with one my locals and it was off the air for about ~6 weeks I think. Not SD-ized - just gone. There was one show on that channel that I liked a LOT so I got an antenna and watched it OTA. And yes it wasn't as easy as I would have liked because the signal varied and my location is awful - right behind a forested hill. And I didn't have a DVR at that time that integrated OTA signals so I actually had to.. gasp.... sit down in front of the TV at some predetermined time.

But I was a tad frustrated so I did it. If I was "frustrated to no end " then I might have taken further measures:

Better/higher antenna
Cable
DirecTV
Move (That would be the "frustrated to no end " answer I guess :))

But I was just a little frustrated so I put a cheesy little antenna up and watched it. Just letting you know that I've had the occasional OTA frustration too, but I still can't tell you anything about the whys or the whens of yours.

#27 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

You also dont have to spend money on buying an ANTENAE.  Apparently you can make your own.  Just follow along on this youtube video: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7j80C9d1o9Y

Voila, I solved your problem of having to BUY one, *gasp*

Edited by shadough, 06 January 2014 - 08:08 PM.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

Protected By... spam firewall...And...