Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Digital SWM theory and speculation

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

MaxLinear also has a 24 channel chip with FSK control that may be able to function as a DSWM (MxL865) as well as another that has three 24 channel outputs (MxL868) They've announced design wins with Zinwell and Eagle Aspen to use the MxL865, and will be delivering chips to them in Q4 2014.

I figure there's little difference between the needs of Directv for DSWM and other operators for their CSS chips. Directv uses FSK for control, others use DiSEqC. Directv needs sufficient input bandwidth to cover their satellite spectrum, and ideally would want a standardized number of output channels so products are interchangeable. Directv uses one command set, and others use that DiSEqC command set HoTat2 was investigating. Whether there's a lot of overlap between the command formats, or they're completely different, it is a simple matter of programming to support what Directv needs from a DSWM.

So I'm wondering if perhaps Directv created a spec / list of requirements for DSWM and made it available to Entropic and other interested parties, so others were able to include support for DSWM in their CSS chips. This way Directv can benefit from more competition in the cost of DSWM chips, and there would be much larger economies of scale available to those OEMs since their chips would be used all over the world, rather than only by Directv.

If that was the case, we'd have Entropic and NXP (assuming their chip is separate from Entropic's) making a DSWM ASIC specific to Directv's needs, and Broadcom and MaxLinear making worldwide CSS chips that also implement DSWM. The advantage for the Directv-specific product is that it can be made more cheaply for a given process, since it handles exactly the input bandwidth required by Directv and no more. The worldwide products both handle significantly more input bandwidth than Directv has, which would make them larger and therefore more expensive for a given process - but sales volumes would better amortize the cost of designing them on a smaller process, such as the 28nm process Broadcom has used. The process used for MaxLinear isn't mentioned, but the Q4 2014 ship date makes 20nm quite possible.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

So long as you're happy and comfortable in the knowledge that you're totally speculating and nothing you have said has any proven basis in actual execution in the marketplace... it all sounds good.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#223 OFFLINE   Mr E LNB

Mr E LNB

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Slice1900 is very accurate on a lot in what he says. Re-visit this tread in 12 months time and read again... :-)

Edited by Mr E LNB, 12 April 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#224 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Slice1900 is very accurate on a lot in what he says. Re-visit this tread in 12 months time and read again... :-)

well, you are hinting us... perhaps could share more ?!

#225 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

I have to question the credibility of a first time poster who claims their location is in Asia, and uses an Egyptian IP address.

A.K.A VOS

#226 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

oops ! some engineer of the DSWM apparatus is hiding over there?

#227 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

You're trusting someone with the name "mr. E LNB?"

There isn't any question of the viability of the technology. There are literally thousands of viable technologies that are never implemented.

#228 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

I have to question the credibility of a first time poster who claims their location is in Asia, and uses an Egyptian IP address.

Maybe he's one of those ethnicities that, like, knows technical stuff.

#229 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

perhaps he is on vacation over there ?

#230 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

You're trusting someone with the name "mr. E LNB?"

There isn't any question of the viability of the technology. There are literally thousands of viable technologies that are never implemented.

"We" know of two products implementing this.

"Mr E LNB" could be on a stopover at the airport in Egypt, but "one post" doesn't make an expert reference.

For that matter why not be "Mr D LNB" as echostar isn't a user of this technology?

Without any more information or posts, "it's meaningless" at this time. .

A.K.A VOS

#231 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Saw this in a summary of breakout sessions for Directv's Revolution 2014 dealer conference http://www.engagengo...media/ALL1.pdf:

MDU 103
Product Road Map
Have you heard about the MDU product map? If you would like to learn more about DRE in MDU, Broadband, plans for SWIM 16, Technical Specifications, Genie, and upcoming products launches, then this is for you!

I wonder what "plans for SWIM 16" refers to? I think we all agree that a DSWM makes more sense for a MDU than for residential at this point, maybe they're going to announce the timeline for the introduction of a DSWM23 to the dealers this week? That's not the only possibility for what that means, but the most interesting as far as this thread is concerned...

Too bad no one who is in on that session would be able to talk about it, I'm sure there would be some interesting discussion about a lot of topics!

There was another breakout that mentioned a DSWM13 LNB for loop through DRE, which Stuart had already confirmed existed.

#232 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

I will actually be at those breakouts and I'll let you know if there is anything I can report.

#233 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

DSWM does not seem to be on the MDU roadmap.

#234 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Thanks, Stuart. What are the "plans for SWM16", if you're allowed to say?

Unrelated to DSWM, but I'm curious - was there any mention of new RDBS/BSS bands with the upcoming satellites? Perhaps given that D14 wouldn't be fully operational before the end of the year (and even that's optimistic considering the continued schedule creep) that might be more of a topic for next year's conference... If you can't give details, I understand, but even knowing that it was mentioned would be very interesting information!

#235 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

No changes to SWM16. It continues to play a strong part in DIRECTV's D2lite program.

#236 OFFLINE   captkillao

captkillao

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

DSWM does not seem to be on the MDU roadmap.

It is so far only for the DRE hospitality market. Will need an AIM meter to program the switchs to the receivers in a loop through system with approved SWM taps. Already got my cert to install them. There is also the SWM5 but I think it will be for the residential side.

#237 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:03 AM

Entropic announced the follow on to the EN5400 (used in the DSWM13) that they mentioned in the last earnings call. The EN5500/5510/5520 support six, seven and four 250-2350 MHz inputs, respectively, and one, three and two 24 channel outputs. Since Maxlinear and Broadcom's dCSS chips also support 24 channels (as well as the DSWM ASIC) it seems as though that's the new standard and Directv's OEMs will have a choice of at least three chip suppliers which should help keep costs down.

http://online.wsj.co...421-901274.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...