Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seeking A Brief Primer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

Need some simple information. Then I may ask further questions depending on the answers. Dish is about to get dropped. One of the few things I tune to most often lately is one or two of the CD music channels. When Dish goes, so do they. I have not used any of the Sirius channels however.

So, home system? Box or boxes? Networkable? Cost? Not interested in a car based system, but could a single subscription be used on more than one device?.

Channels -- I'm looking for no nonsense music only. No talk, commercials, promos, hype or interruptions of any kind. Just like the Dish CD channels. All music, all the time.

Edited by SayWhat?, 25 December 2013 - 12:41 PM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,145 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

Have you looked into just using pandora or iTunes Radio? Something if that nature since it's all at home?

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Don't want to add load to the DSL webstream if I don't have to.  That, and DSL drops out sometimes so I want something independent.  Don't even talk to me about regular broadcast radio around here.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,982 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

Why not start building your own collection? That way you're in full control of what plays, when it plays, and no interruptions.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Been doing that too, but there's a limit to resources.  Then you have to have a PC or stereo playing all the time and you only run an hour or three at a time.  Longest playlist I have on Media Player is about 5 hours or so. I've already got the CDs ripped as well as many of the LPs (there's another thread on that somewhere).

I was hoping to be able to have a low power consumption device with a source completely separate from everything else.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

>So, home system? Box or boxes? Networkable? Cost? Not interested in a car based system, but could a single subscription be used on more than one device?.

>Channels -- I'm looking for no nonsense music only. No talk, commercials, promos, hype or interruptions of any kind. Just like the Dish CD channels. All music, all the time.

Single sub can not be used on more than one device.

I use an XMP3i, portable player with a home dock.  Allows you to record songs to internal memory, play your mp3s from an SD card, works through power outages on internal battery, can be taken with you, put in a car dock, etc.  Comes with a remote control.  Only problem is the screen is small, and you cant read it from across the room.  Sound quality is decent.

They have several different packages available, one is all music, but I think the news channels are also included.

It has been discontinued, but is still available.   For currently available radios, check here: http://shop.siriusxm...tParentID=49759

For cost of subscriptions, check here: http://www.siriusxm.com/subscriptions

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

"Allows you to record songs to internal memory, play your mp3s from an SD card,"

Can that be transferred to another device and played/offloaded or is it encrypted like Dish DVR recordings?

#8 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

Q: Can I save the XM saved content on the XMP3i to my PC? A: No. Any content stored on the XMp3i must stay resident on the radio.

If it's at all possible, I'd suggest taking some of the money you would save from suspending dish and upgrade your internet connection.

Edited by bidger, 25 December 2013 - 04:54 PM.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,795 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Don't want to add load to the DSL webstream if I don't have to.

You (nor anyone else for that matter) CANNOT effectively cut the cord without a healthy broadband connection. Emphasis on CANNOT.

You have two options that won't cost as much or more than DISH:

o - SiriusXM -- often plagued by non-music.
o - Internet streaming
  • Spotify
  • MOG
  • Pandora
  • any other service that doesn't have "radio" in its name
You could subscribe to Muzak and get the DISH channels but it would probably cost as much as DISH and you would have to buy a DISH receiver.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

"Often plagued by non-music"?  Huh?  On the music channels?  Sure, there's a LITTLE bit of DJ chatter between songs from time to time but not much.

Another thing - with Sirius XM, you can get internet streaming that allows you to customize the already-custom music channels. "MyXM" options on those channels online let you tailor or refine that channel to your tastes.

If I were "starting from scratch", the XMp3i would be my choice but I can't seem to find it *available* on the SiriusXM site.  You can find a page for it, but no button to add it to your cart.

#11 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

You (nor anyone else for that matter) CANNOT effectively cut the cord without a healthy broadband connection. Emphasis on CANNOT.

I agree, and that's coming from someone who had DSL up until four years ago. The upgrade to cable @ about 10x the download speed opened my eyes to what the web can be all about.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

Sure, there's a LITTLE bit of DJ chatter between songs from time to time but not much.

Nope.  Can't have that.  Not a single spoken word.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,795 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

Another thing - with Sirius XM, you can get internet streaming that allows you to customize the already-custom music channels. "MyXM" options on those channels online let you tailor or refine that channel to your tastes.

You missed on pretty much all points with this post. The TS was adamant about no banter and not wanting to further tax the broadband connection. By the time you load up with online services, Sirius gets to be more expensive than most other Internet services.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

When he said "no talk", I thought he meant no talk channels (Stern, sports talk, Oprah, political chat channels, etc).  The point I was making about streaming was that if he were looking at, say, Pandora or IHeart or any of those versus satrad for the stuff that internet streaming DOES bring (when you're at home since it's a trickle of data compared to broadband but IS a problem when using it over a cellular link), SIriusXM pretty much had that covered.

Sirius IS more expensive than other internet-based services (unless you're only paying the supplement as I'm working on a lifetime satrad subscription), but you get a LOT more than those other services.   Granted, from the looks of it, those extras don't appear to be in the OP's wheelhouse.

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

I almost wish I could get just the CD channels from Dish, but I don't see them available anywhere below AT120.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...