Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will Dish Jump On The WeatherNation Bandwagon With Direct?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:58 AM

Although talks between the two companies are ongoing, DirecTV's decision to add WeatherNation is seen as a not-so-subtle threat that it is willing to drop the Weather Channel.

Not only is DirecTV carrying WeatherNation, a small channel with very little reach or viewership, it has placed the network next to the Weather Channel on the dial, a move that could confuse viewers — and has already annoyed Weather Channel executives.

According to SNL Kagan, an industry consulting firm, the Weather Channel charges about 13 cents per subscriber per month.

The other channel doesn't seem to be getting the hint though, and may even be moving further away from weather:

For the Weather Channel, the fight with one of its largest distributors comes at a crucial time. The network, co-owned by the private equity firms Bain Capital and Blackstone Group and Comcast Corp.'s NBCUniversal, has been making significant investments in talent and management in an effort to broaden its reach and appeal.

Behind the scenes, the channel has also been bringing in executives with more entertainment experience. Last year, it hired David Clark as president. Clark's resume includes stints at the music channel Fuse and MTV.

But on a typical day it is averaging just over 200,000 viewers, according to Nielsen.

http://www.latimes.c...0,3840158.story

Will Dish follow suit?

Will Direct drop WN if they get a new contract with the other guys?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

With all the online weather info available I don't see why we need any weather TV channels. :confused:

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Will Dish follow suit?

In this instance, it is DIRECTV that is following DISH's lead from their recent pre-negotiation ritual with TWC.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

With all the online weather info available I don't see why we need any weather TV channels. :confused:

News junkies need their fix. Whether it is news, sports or weather, their lives would be intolerably boring without the constant bombardment of statistical minutiae.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

One could only hope, it would be nice to have a weather channel that I could turn to that I was confident in that when I did turn to it would actually be giving me info on the current weather and the forecast. I have mostly abandoned tv for my national weather info in favor of the internet thanks to the "Weather Channel" because I got tired of expecting to find weather info there and instead finding a show and not only a show but blocks of shows that go on for hours with very little actual weather info dispursed during breaks. Not only do I mostly use the internet for my national weather info these days but I've just about completely given up on the Weather Channel's website (which before at least they pushed from their channel to their website so they still had my eyeballs) because their site has gotten so busy with all sorts of not only ads but "video articles" and such that have nothing to do with weather. Sometimes it's hard to navigate to or find the weather info there that I'm looking for and also it seems their site is so junked up these days that it's prone to freezing and slow loading and no one has time for that!

Edited by tsmacro, 26 December 2013 - 11:03 AM.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,596 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

Many - well, some- folks with DIRECTV® do not have an internet connection. Others like to see both. I prefer the TV app over either WN or TWC, but will occasionally gander at them both. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

The last time Dish pulled this several years ago with The Weather Cast (started by Dish and WeatherNation), weren't we promised a second channel from The Weather Channel that provided just weather?  Is that still "coming soon?"  I think Dish should have never dropped that channel and should pick up WeatherNation.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

The last time Dish pulled this several years ago with The Weather Cast (started by Dish and WeatherNation), weren't we promised a second channel from The Weather Channel that provided just weather?

The Weather Channel hinted that they were going to reinvent themselves as a slicker version of the old weather channel. They've hired more than a few big guns to make it happen.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Many - well, some- folks with DIRECTV® do not have an internet connection.

And many of them must fall back on the SD version or terrestrial sources when their own weather is bad.

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

The last time Dish pulled this several years ago with The Weather Cast (started by Dish and WeatherNation), weren't we promised a second channel

I thought that was why Chuckie caved and let them back on.  Word was that it was conditional on the addition of TWC2 or TWC Classic of sorts.

#11 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

I knew at the time it was a mistake to trust them.  He should have held out until the channel was available.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:08 am MDT ---

DISH Network and The Weather Channel Reach Agreement
Includes Development of New Full-Time Weather Forecasting Services

DISH Network L.L.C. and The Weather Channel today announced that they have reached a multi-year agreement for continued distribution of The Weather Channel on DISH Network's programming platform.

The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services. Deployment of the new services will begin this summer.

"Through this new partnership with The Weather Channel, DISH Network is giving our subscribers exactly what they've asked for and more. Not only are we developing a unique satellite service that provides localized weather 24/7, but also we'll soon deliver personalized weather reports via the Android mobile platform and the web," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "This agreement recognizes the importance of cross-platform video delivery, ensuring that our subscribers will have the most detailed local weather information available at their fingertips anytime, anywhere."

"DISH Network and their customers are extremely important to us, and maintaining and expanding our partnership is a high priority for our company," said Mike Kelly, CEO and President of The Weather Channel. "DISH Network will now be carrying two of our channels - The Weather Channel and a customized 24-hour, all-local weather information network - to provide even better service to their customers. We also look forward to working with DISH Network on other cross-platform and interactive initiatives, taking advantage of our leadership position in mobile and the Internet."

Additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://about.dish.co...reach-agreement

The Hopper App is decent ... but there is no channel 213 "localized weather".
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Interesting viewer comments here:

http://www.washingto...-up-in-the-air/

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

DISH Network L.L.C. and The Weather Channel today announced that they have reached a multi-year agreement for continued distribution of The Weather Channel on DISH Network's programming platform.

The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services. Deployment of the new services will begin this summer.

"Through this new partnership with The Weather Channel, DISH Network is giving our subscribers exactly what they've asked for and more. Not only are we developing a unique satellite service that provides localized weather 24/7, but also we'll soon deliver personalized weather reports via the Android mobile platform and the web," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "This agreement recognizes the importance of cross-platform video delivery, ensuring that our subscribers will have the most detailed local weather information available at their fingertips anytime, anywhere."

"DISH Network and their customers are extremely important to us, and maintaining and expanding our partnership is a high priority for our company," said Mike Kelly, CEO and President of The Weather Channel. "DISH Network will now be carrying two of our channels - The Weather Channel and a customized 24-hour, all-local weather information network - to provide even better service to their customers. We also look forward to working with DISH Network on other cross-platform and interactive initiatives, taking advantage of our leadership position in mobile and the Internet."

Additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://about.dish.co...reach-agreement

The Hopper App is decent ... but there is no channel 213 "localized weather".

This was 2010. Its now going to be 2014.

So I guess the question is , What is a Multi Year deal? 2-3-4-10?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

Where is this stuff at?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

We don't need any duplicates channels like: COOKING, NGC ETC.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

We don't need any duplicates channels like: COOKING, NGC ETC.

I just realized that story is like 3 years old. So the channel will never happen.
Not every one has Internet access. Plus it is fun to look at live weather forcasting.

Edited by SeaBeagle, 29 December 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

TWC appears to be crossing lines into irrational behavior.

• Dude111 likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

I agree..... Nothing good about what they have become!!!!!

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,596 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Adios WC!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall