Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will Dish Jump On The WeatherNation Bandwagon With Direct?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Awww, C'mon, they could toss WN on as a teaser.

I do not believe that they can ... as already discussed in this thread.

I would not complain if WeatherNation showed up on 213 tomorrow - but as stated, I do not expect to see anything until whichever May that the contract with TWC expires.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

Set against Atlanta’s skyline and overlooking its Centennial Olympic Park, AccuWeather has placed a massive promotional billboard – smack dab on the home turf of its competitor The Weather Channel (headquartered in Atlanta).

It reads: “AccuWeather Channel.  All Weather, All the Time. Coming Soon.”

Them fighting words.

(It’s no coincidence, I don’t think, AccuWeather is flaunting this billboard at precisely the time some 3,000 meteorologists are in town for this week’s American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting.)

The Weather Channel is regrouping after being dropped by DirecTV following a carriage dispute.  From its launch in the 1980s up until recent weeks, it had operated with little or no competition.  That’s changed suddenly.  The start-up Denver-based Weather Nation now occupies its old slot on DirecTV.

Sensing The Weather Channel is down, AccuWeather appears to be publicly stating it’s ready to pounce.  Its weather channel will launch in the third quarter this year.

Stay tuned…

http://www.washingto...-channels-face/

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#43 OFFLINE   Lauve92

Lauve92

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

I agree in part the weather channel did have a lot of shows the last couple of years.  But I can not agree the channel that replaced them is way better.  I have to tune to that channel to receive local weather.  I then must hit the red button sometimes two to three times for the feature to work.  All I can get is a multiple day forecast no weather map,  and i would imagine if there was a weather alert I would not have that feature as well, to me it is like when they replaced sirius with sony for the music channels, that was like going from a caddy to a yugo with a blown engine.  it was nice to hit the active button and get my local, not saying the weather channel could not have been better, I'm just saying it had much more user friendly features.  One feature that neither give is the weather map in motion which would be nice.  by the way my direct tv bill went up not down in price, so don't tell me how CEO White ( probably a seven figure income) is watching out for me the consumer.  Been with direct tv since 2002, but I may have to give Dish a try.

#44 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

I agree in part the weather channel did have a lot of shows the last couple of years. But I can not agree the channel that replaced them is way better. I have to tune to that channel to receive local weather. I then must hit the red button sometimes two to three times for the feature to work. All I can get is a multiple day forecast no weather map, and i would imagine if there was a weather alert I would not have that feature as well, to me it is like when they replaced sirius with sony for the music channels, that was like going from a caddy to a yugo with a blown engine. it was nice to hit the active button and get my local, not saying the weather channel could not have been better, I'm just saying it had much more user friendly features. One feature that neither give is the weather map in motion which would be nice. by the way my direct tv bill went up not down in price, so don't tell me how CEO White ( probably a seven figure income) is watching out for me the consumer. Been with direct tv since 2002, but I may have to give Dish a try.

I believe you will see the weather app
Come back in the next month or so.

And that bill went up because of sports and other things. It just didn't go up as much with the lack of the wether channel. Do you think any carrier went down? Nope none.

#45 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

I agree in part the weather channel did have a lot of shows the last couple of years.  But I can not agree the channel that replaced them is way better.  I have to tune to that channel to receive local weather.  I then must hit the red button sometimes two to three times for the feature to work.  All I can get is a multiple day forecast no weather map,  and i would imagine if there was a weather alert I would not have that feature as well, to me it is like when they replaced sirius with sony for the music channels, that was like going from a caddy to a yugo with a blown engine.  it was nice to hit the active button and get my local, not saying the weather channel could not have been better, I'm just saying it had much more user friendly features.  One feature that neither give is the weather map in motion which would be nice.  by the way my direct tv bill went up not down in price, so don't tell me how CEO White ( probably a seven figure income) is watching out for me the consumer.  Been with direct tv since 2002, but I may have to give Dish a try.

Your primary complaint seems to be the apps, not the channel. Perhaps your ire should be directed at DirecTV and their receiver/app design?

The benefit of WeatherNation is not needing the app to see the weather. Sure, I like the TWC apps on the Hopper ... especially because I can use one of them to get the weather regardless of what channel I am watching. An app like that is a step toward not needing the channel. But the channel is there for a deeper explanation of regional and national weather ... something that was missing on TWC during their long reality show blocks. Even the twice hourly "weather on the 8's" is useless in the reality show hours as the information goes by too quick.

It would be great to have both ... a weather channel that shows weather 24x7 as well as an app for those who can't wait or don't want to change video channels. Systems with TWC instead of WN are missing 24x7 weather.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#46 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

You'd think by now, some kind of hint or whiff of a notion of what Chucky is thinking would have trickled down.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Why? Contract isn't up then nothing for him to do yet.

#48 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,805 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

And that bill went up because of sports and other things.

It was an interesting slight of hand for DIRECTV to raise their general rates somewhat less than the competition to much cheering from the fanboys only to tack on a sports fee for quite a few.

Nonetheless, I prefer the more transparent approach to billing for what you're getting that DIRECTV is taking. I've just got to figure out why they charge the WHDS inclusive Advanced Receiver Fee to new accounts with only an HD DVR.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#49 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:40 AM

They don't want any new accounts to not have Whole Home Service. It's now standard with advanced equipment. What's so hard to figure in that?

#50 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Because it shouldn't be forced on people.  Especially in the instance like if a person only has one HD-DVR in their home, and no other receivers.  Why should they have to pay for Whole Home DVR service?

Of course I still believe that there never should have been a charge for it in the first place.  They were getting I thnk $6/month for DVR service back then, which is now up to $10 a month.  That should be more than enough to cover R&D costs on upkeep and adding new features to their DVR service.

• satcrazy likes this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#51 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

And i still look at it as they wanted to charge more for the DVR service but phase it in and now they just charge all new people more for DVR service.

#52 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

It was an interesting slight of hand for DIRECTV to raise their general rates somewhat less than the competition to much cheering from the fanboys only to tack on a sports fee for quite a few.

Can't you troll somewhere else? If you must pepper our forum, how about being even handed? Or at least not rude. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#53 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

It was an interesting slight of hand for DIRECTV to raise their general rates somewhat less than the competition to much cheering from the fanboys only to tack on a sports fee for quite a .

Oh hogwash. Those fees have been there for a while now and simply equal out the RSN fees by market. There was no slight of hand and DIRECTV still raised rates less than my local cable company does even with the RSN fees.

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

How about we get back to the topic of DISH potentially carrying WeatherNation and post comments on other topics in the threads designed for DirecTV RSN fees, price increases, etc. ?

#55 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

If anything, maybe Dish keeps TWC, as a selling point over DirecTV? Not saying it's some ultra-premium content, but it is different (and in my opinion, much better when it matters) and these days that's all that matters sometimes.

#56 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

If anything, maybe Dish keeps TWC, as a selling point over DirecTV? Not saying it's some ultra-premium content, but it is different (and in my opinion, much better when it matters) and these days that's all that matters sometimes.

Seriously? Do you think anyone is going to choose a provider based on whether they have TWC?? Pac 12 Network, that I can totally see, but not TWC.

There are plenty of ways for providers to get a competitive advantage over one another by offering content the competition lacks, but TWC would be so far down the list I think you'd win more customers promoting that you have special interest channels broadcast in Vietnamese.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#57 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I particularly like AccuWeather's web site.  Tells me all I need to know.

If it is going to have it's own channel, it could be a winner. [that is, if it doesn't cave in to reality tv :righton: ]

chris

#58 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,989 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:05 AM

Seriously? Do you think anyone is going to choose a provider based on whether they have TWC?? 

Well, I have been stopped by a few DirecTV customers saying that if TWC does not come back to DirecTV they will switch to Dish. don't know if these "few" folks will be enough for Dish to pay higher retrans fee if TWC asks for more $$$

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#59 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,363 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

Well, the switchers won't have much of an effect on anything Dish decides to do. There could be a problem for TWC even if they want to renew at existing rates. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#60 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Well, the switchers won't have much of an effect on anything Dish decides to do. There could be a problem for TWC even if they want to renew at existing rates. 

Wonder if TWC would come in with even lower than existing rate at renewal time [ of course we'd never be privy ] cause if they lose dish, they are in trouble.

If they are not smart enough to re think existing programming, then at least insert a full weather report on the half  hour.

chris

Protected By... spam firewall...And...