Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Doctor Who Christmas Special

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

So, for those that have seen it, what are your thoughts on what transpired?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,603 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

A bit of fun ... a lot of reflection. A nice send off. Good luck to Peter. Crashing!!!

I caught the bit at the beginning about "projecting a hologram on YOUR retinas" ... and realized that Dr was still naked to everyone but Clara (and the TV audience that sees Dr Who through the companions perspective). It was interesting to see her act all natural about her au natural friend until he reminded her what they could see. Think through the scenes where they go to church together and then first land on the planet in the snow and then roll around a bit escaping the angels before returning to the Tardis and putting on clothes. OK ... there's your Dr humor.

All the faves popped in ... including the first face this face saw. And fans got confirmation that The Doctor was out of lives (thanks to the War Doctor and the second Tenth Doctor). So let's get special dispensation from the Time Lords to regenerate again ...

Of course if The Doctor was paying attention he would have realized that there were more lives to live ... as he saw a familiar face after saving Gallifrey. And the Twelfth Doctor appeared to help out ... so perhaps a bit of a continuity problem there.

But a nice wrap for Matt Smith (including the special goodbye episode) and on with the next doctor ... who enters the same way that the 11th Doctor entered ... Crashing!
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

It was probably one of the most emotional episodes, dropping his bow tie on the ground. I started with Doctor Who late, with Eccleston and Matt Smith's version appealed most to me. I liked his quirkiness.

The nest series should be interesting as they apparently have an explanation for Capaldi being in the Pompeii episode and Torchwood.

The reset of the number of regenerations seemed a bit if a copout, but not much else they could have done. I think they'll keep this pretty open ended and not say whether his number reset, or has a higher number now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

Have not watch it yet as recording was messed up (it started with the new DR) so I have recorded it again and will watch tonight.

My favorite DR is Tom Baker  from the 80's

RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#5 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

I thought it was fantastic. Completely opposite of Tennant's Doctor's temper tantrum.

Best part was the speech he gave.

Can't wait to se Peter Capaldi in the role.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

I did watch this...  I didn't hate it... maybe my frame of mind was skewed at the time... but I thought the 50th ann special was WAY better than this Christmas special was.  I am looking forward to seeing Peter Capaldi though.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,603 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Yep ... the 50th was better - with the exception of the inclusion of Capaldi. At the time I thought it was unneeded since he would be with us soon enough at Christmas. Now I see Capaldi's inclusion in the 50th as a mistake.

As far as what type of Doctor Capaldi will be ... with only the one scene to go on there is no guarantees but I suspect the humor will continue - we may even get a Tom Baker goofball.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

A bit of fun ... a lot of reflection. A nice send off. Good luck to Peter. Crashing!!!

I caught the bit at the beginning about "projecting a hologram on YOUR retinas" ... and realized that Dr was still naked to everyone but Clara (and the TV audience that sees Dr Who through the companions perspective). It was interesting to see her act all natural about her au natural friend until he reminded her what they could see. Think through the scenes where they go to church together and then first land on the planet in the snow and then roll around a bit escaping the angels before returning to the Tardis and putting on clothes. OK ... there's your Dr humor.

All the faves popped in ... including the first face this face saw. And fans got confirmation that The Doctor was out of lives (thanks to the War Doctor and the second Tenth Doctor). So let's get special dispensation from the Time Lords to regenerate again ...

Of course if The Doctor was paying attention he would have realized that there were more lives to live ... as he saw a familiar face after saving Gallifrey. And the Twelfth Doctor appeared to help out ... so perhaps a bit of a continuity problem there.

But a nice wrap for Matt Smith (including the special goodbye episode) and on with the next doctor ... who enters the same way that the 11th Doctor entered ... Crashing!

They said in the show that none of them would remember those events, so his not remembering seeing the fourth Doctor in the gallery is consistent with what we had been shown.  That line about, "I suppose we won't remember any of this" went by pretty quickly, so it was pretty easy to miss.

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,603 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:30 AM

They said in the show that none of them would remember those events, so his not remembering seeing the fourth Doctor in the gallery is consistent with what we had been shown.  That line about, "I suppose we won't remember any of this" went by pretty quickly, so it was pretty easy to miss.

The older doctors (war and 10) were not supposed to remember as it was out of their timeline - but this was in the 11th Doctor's timeline so he should remember.

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

I'm just waiting to see how they explain the Pompeii episode and Torchwood.   I saw the Pompeii episode again the other day and I can actually see where it could be explained as him being The Doctor then, we'll see.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

The older doctors (war and 10) were not supposed to remember as it was out of their timeline - but this was in the 11th Doctor's timeline so he should remember.

Agreed

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

I'm just waiting to see how they explain the Pompeii episode and Torchwood.   I saw the Pompeii episode again the other day and I can actually see where it could be explained as him being The Doctor then, we'll see.

It doesn't need to be explained.

They didn't explain when Colin Baker had a part in Arc of Infinity and then showed up as the Doctor

tumblr_lscue54bTx1qbtlzco1_500.png

6th+Doctor.jpg

Edited by Red Orc, 04 January 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

It doesn't need to be explained.

They didn't explain when Colin Baker had a part in Arc of Infinity and then showed up as the Doctor

Yeah, but Moffat wasn't the Show Runner back then.  He explains things and they've said there is an explanation for Pompeii and Torchwood.

• Red Orc likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, but Moffat wasn't the Show Runner back then.  He explains things and they've said there is an explanation for Pompeii and Torchwood.

To be fair... Moffat *says* he will explain things... then the explanation never comes OR falls mostly flat, in my opinion.

Like "why did the TARDIS explode"... the answer?  The bad guys did it.

Ok... but how, why, when, etc?  IT wasn't much of an answer really.  I think most folk figured "the bad guys did it"...

• Red Orc likes this

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,603 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Perhaps he shouldn't explain things ... but the easy explanation for the 12th Doctor looking like someone else is that he liked that face.

There are doppelgangers in our world - people who look a lot like other people. If you look enough like a famous person you can get a job impersonating them. How many combinations of people are possible? While by molecular structure no two people will ever be identical being identical in appearance (or nearly identical) without being the same person is possible.
  • Red Orc likes this

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

Perhaps he shouldn't explain things ... but the easy explanation for the 12th Doctor looking like someone else is that he liked that face.

The Doctor doesn't choose what he looks like.

• Red Orc likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

To be fair... Moffat *says* he will explain things... then the explanation never comes OR falls mostly flat, in my opinion.

Like "why did the TARDIS explode"... the answer?  The bad guys did it.

Ok... but how, why, when, etc?  IT wasn't much of an answer really.  I think most folk figured "the bad guys did it"...

Use your imagination on the how, why, when, etc...  If you need things spelled out for you in great detail perhaps you should stick to U.S. TV Shows.  :D

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

The Doctor doesn't choose what he looks like.

Actually, there has been precedent set for this..

Classic series, Roman chose her regeneration to look like that princess.

New series, Tennant chose to stay the same because he didn't want to change.

The Night of the Doctor (prequel to Day of the Doctor) had McGann being able to choose his regeneration too.

Use your imagination on the how, why, when, etc...  If you need things spelled out for you in great detail perhaps you should stick to U.S. TV Shows.  :D

Not the point.  The point was the claim that Moffat explained everything.  He didn't.  He said he would, but he didn't.  He didn't have to say he would explain everything... but he said he would, and he didn't.  I'm fine with mysterious things and some things not being answered... but if you promise an answer and then fall short, that is on you... or in this case Moffat.

• Red Orc likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Did any of you see the Anniversary Special in 3D?

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Not the point.  The point was the claim that Moffat explained everything.  He didn't.  He said he would, but he didn't.  He didn't have to say he would explain everything... but he said he would, and he didn't.  I'm fine with mysterious things and some things not being answered... but if you promise an answer and then fall short, that is on you... or in this case Moffat.

But by your own admission he gave an answer, you just didn't like the answer he gave.

And if he could choose he'd have been a "Ginger" by now.  (a term, being a redhead, I find slightly offensive actually)

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall