Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How television advertising deals with DVRs destroying their business

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,907 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

From SF Gate:

How television advertising deals with DVRs destroying their business

Most television commercials traditionally use an engaging story and then nail us with the “reveal” at the end, that moment where we’re finally shown the product all alone in its glory. As the DVR came into use you would have expected commercial makers to adapt now that we can blow past their messaging.

But even though last year Motorola found that about two-thirds of DVR owners use the device to skip commercials, not too much has changed about the mechanics of the adverts themselves. Apple, for instance, spent a decade using “Wasn’t what you saw amazing — of course it’s by Apple” in its commercials, capping them with the standalone Apple logo. But when this formula is done in fast forward a jumbled slideshow ensues. The reveal is nothing but a blip. We may recognize products in the fray — was that an iPhone or a Galaxy S3? — but the persuasive power disappears.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

I've always hated commercials like that.  The product or brand name should be identified from the very first frame.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I've always hated commercials like that.  The product or brand name should be identified from the very first frame.

The shoulds are determined by Ad Agencies and their clients. Ads are generally considered successful if you remember the product in a favorable light. You may hate an ad that'd be judged a good one for you (determined by the client).

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,111 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:57 AM

I don't skip ads. I able to ignore most of 'ém. As I surf the Internet while they're on.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,907 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:40 AM

The last time a television ad directly influenced my decision to buy, I was in Canada, and saw an ad for Boston Pizza's Pizzaburger. Most of the time, it has been primarily word of mouth which is surprisingly an effective and cheap (but potentially expensive) way to advertise.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:40 AM

I can't say as I've ever bought any product or service based on a TV ad.  In fact, just the opposite -- there are companies I will NOT buy from because of their overspending on TV ads.  Geico is one, but there are many others.

When watching 'live' programming, I'll hit the Guide button and let that stay on the screen during Spam breaks, then spin back a few seconds if I have to.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

I record most of what I am going to watch just so I can skip the ads. They are a waste of my time and I can get through most shows in 45 to 50 minutes.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

What's a commercial?  :D

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,111 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Just think, in the future, individual household will get ads aim at their shopping habits!

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Just think, in the future, individual household will get ads aim at their shopping habits!

Didn't you watch Futurama?  In the future ads are directed at individuals and broadcast in your dreams.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

That's already happening!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

If there were 5 to 8 minutes of ads per hour I might not bother to fast forward through them.

I really hate when it's several minutes from the top of the hour, and we get 3 or 4 minutes of commercials, the show comes back for 2 minutes and then at the top of the hour another 5 minutes of commercials.

Screw that !

:eek2:

#13 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

That's the way it used to be.  9 minutes per hour.  The best example of that is looking at episodes of Star Trek - the original series from the 1960s - on Netflix.  They clock in at 51 minutes and change.

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Although I have not watched very many commercials in their entirety (other than Victorias Secret) since winning a Betamax in a contest in 1978 (and I have mixed feelings about that since commercial air time sales indirectly pays my salary), studies show that most people, even those with DVRs, do not skip commercials. They may walk the dog, pinch a loaf of their own, or make a Dagwood sandwich, but most folks let the commercials blare on in the background. Studies also show commercial ads are effective, but of course those studies are self-serving so may not be accurate at all. Personally, I don't see how the GEICO commercials are effective in any way, for instance.

What Druce is positing here might not be going to happen, but here is what is happening and what will happen:

First, most large market stations connect to cable outlets via direct fiber, and many of those send different commercials to cable viewers than they do to OTA viewers. That's been the reality for some time.

But here is what I predict. Broadcasters have many categories of commercials, but most fall into one of three. There are spots picked individually for particular avails, spots picked to run within a particular hour and/or particular day or daypart, and "ROS" which means Run On Schedule and refers to the cheap spots that can be plugged in anywhere.

One of the problems with DVRs is it delays the commercials as well as the program; if Sony Pictures wants to advertise on Thursday (which is why Thursday has the best programs) it doesn't do them much good if you only play back their commercial when you watch the show after that particular movie has already left the theatre. So +3 and +7 DVR rates are not desirable and don't mean much.

But the technology is there for DTV, for instance, to work with a broadcaster to have a group of generic ROS commercials that they can push to your DVR in the wee hours, and if a show is played back after 7 days, those commercials can be inserted on the fly locally per viewer, covering those commercials that folks don't want to pay for. They could even report back how many watched or FFWD-ed through the commercial, which is much more accurate than the current model which just assumes a particular number of eyeballs.

I don't think that is happening yet, but check back in a year or two. This might even breathe new life into the old business model.

Edited by TomCat, 29 December 2013 - 12:06 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#15 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I can't say as I've ever bought any product or service based on a TV ad.  In fact, just the opposite -- there are companies I will NOT buy from because of their overspending on TV ads. 

I buy store brand products when possible.  In many cases they are as good as highly advertised brands.  The cost difference is obviously advertising cost. If you see a product advertised on network TV prime time then you know it is overpriced.

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,111 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

I buy store brand products when possible.  In many cases they are as good as highly advertised brands.  The cost difference is obviously advertising cost. If you see a product advertised on network TV prime time then you know it is overpriced.

Not when it comes to toilet paper.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

the stores brands always imitate a major brand. so is THAT brand that is making a poor product

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

Most store brands are made by the same people who make the highly advertised brands and are the same product.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,111 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Being made at the same manufacturer plant and being made the same are not the same thing.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Being made at the same manufacturer plant and being made the same are not the same thing.

Glad you said this.

As someone who was raised, and who worked, in agricultural regions - not only where stuff is grown but where it is processed for canning and freezing - I know what comes in the front door varies substantially and quality control decisions are made all the time relative to labeling. There's always decision-making relative to what goes into the key brands - Del Monte, Green Giant, Minute Maid - and what goes into store brands. In fact, at times it's the same thing and at times it is not. And many name brands have their own "recipe" for processing which they don't share with the store brands.

And then there's the whole "selective breeding" process that has occurred in my lifetime that has resulted in tomatoes that can be run over by a tractor and not damaged. Also I really was startled the first time I saw a truck dumping green tomatoes on a conveyor belt, tomatoes that came out red at the other end of the building. Better living with chemistry....

But I still enjoy a good Big Mac even though I have to drink two bottles of water in the next hour. :sure:

I know, I'm part of the problem, not the solution.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...