Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How television advertising deals with DVRs destroying their business

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,352 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

And then there's the whole "selective breeding" process that has occurred in my lifetime that has resulted in tomatoes that can be run over by a tractor and not damaged. Also I really was startled the first time I saw a truck dumping green tomatoes on a conveyor belt, tomatoes that came out red at the other end of the building. Better living with chemistry....

You crack me up! 

:)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,846 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

Being made at the same manufacturer plant and being made the same are not the same thing.

Did you not see "are the same product"?   I know for a fact that the Publix, local grocery store, ketchup is Heinz ketchup.  Publix's milk is McArthur, etc.  The are the same identical product.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#23 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yup, there's a lot more of that than the general public knows.  Same stuff, different label.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#24 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

... I really was startled the first time I saw a truck dumping green tomatoes on a conveyor belt, tomatoes that came out red at the other end of the building. Better living with chemistry...

A lot of that sort of thing is not as sinister as it might sound. Often, it is simply a strategic mix of temperature and nitrogen, and you can't get more organic than nitrogen.

I agree that food gets dumbed down, and don't even get me started on the food industry and high fructose corn syrup. But when I was a kid you had to wait to June to get corn on the cob. You had to wait until July for watermelon. You had to wait for fall to get squash, and that was true of everything. Now, everything is in season all of the time. I can go to Kroger and get watermelon, in December! I can get Red Delicious apples every day of the year! The produce area of a grocery store is a modern miracle, 24/7/365.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#25 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

A relative of mine raised a field of around 80 acres of sweet corn for Green Giant.  The time came for harvest and the GG QC people stopped by and sampled the field and determined it was not up to their standards. Cousin Dick was paid for his efforts in raising it, but the field was not harvested by GG.

The locals were invited to come and get all they wanted, and they did. Everyone said it was fine flavor and texture wise, about the only thing noted was the color seemed pale.

I was pretty surprised, I figured out of spec sweet corn would still be taken to the plant and processed for something; off brand or store brand sweet corn, cornflakes, corn starch, pet food, or export.  That occasion  it wasn't.

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,846 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

A relative of mine raised a field of around 80 acres of sweet corn for Green Giant.  The time came for harvest and the GG QC people stopped by and sampled the field and determined it was not up to their standards. Cousin Dick was paid for his efforts in raising it, but the field was not harvested by GG.

The locals were invited to come and get all they wanted, and they did. Everyone said it was fine flavor and texture wise, about the only thing noted was the color seemed pale.

I was pretty surprised, I figured out of spec sweet corn would still be taken to the plant and processed for something; off brand or store brand sweet corn, cornflakes, corn starch, pet food, or export.  That occasion  it wasn't.

One of my co-workers has an Uncle that farms popcorn in Indiana.  He says what Diamond Foods (Pop Secret) won't buy ConAgra (Orville Redenbacher)  will.  If neither of them do he says there's always someone who will.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

That's the way it used to be.  9 minutes per hour.  The best example of that is looking at episodes of Star Trek - the original series from the 1960s - on Netflix.  They clock in at 51 minutes and change.

And now the one hour shows are slightly over 43 minutes long.

I keep waiting for one of the networks to get brave and make teh shows as long or as short as that episode needs to be. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought, look at the filler, or what did they cut. Some of the cuts seem to make the story hard to understand where maybe a extra 5 or 10 minutes would have helped.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#28 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

That is probably enconimically unfeasable until we are at the point where all TV is download on demand. Whether true or not, producers fear this cuts into the convenience level of a fixed start and end time and would cost them viewers.

It makes more sense for a show like House of Cards, that is until they try to resell that into multiple global markets.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...