Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

directv is currently in negotiations with the weather channel and if they do remove twc they will launch a new weather mix channel in hd. the weather mix channel will contain a weather radar and weather loop from stations round the country

Edited by DBSSTEPHEN, 28 December 2013 - 09:16 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Do you have a link to this?

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#3 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2oiT9CpeU

• Justin23 likes this
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thanks.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#5 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

The new weather channel, WeatherNation is already live. It's been live since Dec 16 on channel 361. 

http://www.dbstalk.c...live/?p=3209505

I think it's an awesome channel, it actually plays 24/7 WEATHER. Who would have thought?? I contacted DirecTV today and voiced my opinion, told them I'd be perfectly happy if they let their contract with TWC expire. TWC has shifted so far away from weather it's ridiculous. 

• tsmacro, zeenok, vobguy and 1 other like this

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

TWC has shifted so far away from weather it's ridiculous. 

I'm pretty sure I heard they recently relaunched and went back to weather all the time now.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,610 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm pretty sure I heard they recently relaunched and went back to weather all the time now.

Not quite. The allegedly have weather on screen "all the time" but they are still showing a lot of non-weather programming (weather/climate related shows instead of meteorologists doing forecasts).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Not quite. The allegedly have weather on screen "all the time" but they are still showing a lot of non-weather programming (weather/climate related shows instead of meteorologists doing forecasts).

Ahhh, gotcha.  Sounds like what I read was misleading then.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   Jeffro

Jeffro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

Satelliteracer:  Is there a reason that The Weather Nation logos are NOT in the "Compare TV Packages" page at DirecTV's website?  If so, what is that reason?

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

Probably because it's so new.

#11 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:11 AM

So does this mean if Directv makes a new deal with TWC we might lose the Weathernation?

#12 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

So does this mean if Directv makes a new deal with TWC we might lose the Weathernation?

That's my guess, although it's just an opinion. Isn't that what Dish did?

#13 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 440 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

This got a lot of people excited for nothing. There isn't even a ticker all the time. It's awful. WeatherNation is NOT a good substitute though because it's not live. There is no "breaking severe" updates on the national feed. I have a local feed of WeatherNation that has local updates on the 5's and a different schedule than the national feed, but the local feed is even less updated than the national feed. WN needs to be like TWC used to be - LIVE, constant weather. They need to use their affiliations better. So far, so good with WeatherNation, but it needs to be greatly improved. The graphics are .. meh ... too. Not as bad as the new TWC (WEA?) maps that you can't read, but they could be better. And you don't need to show 7 day forecasts blown up for cities right next to each other.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#14 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,003 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

As a pointer- TV Apps may give some exactly what they want for weather info; others, no. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,496 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

The new weather channel, WeatherNation is already live. It's been live since Dec 16 on channel 361. 

http://www.dbstalk.c...live/?p=3209505

I think it's an awesome channel, it actually plays 24/7 WEATHER. Who would have thought?? I contacted DirecTV today and voiced my opinion, told them I'd be perfectly happy if they let their contract with TWC expire. TWC has shifted so far away from weather it's ridiculous. 

That's how the Weather Channel was when we first got it.  People I knew would watch it for hours and always have it on in the background.  It evolved, or de-evolved, to what it is today.  Back then, it was always talked about at work.  Now, I don't even turn it on.  I'd rather use my phone app.  I do like the WeatherNation channel.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

I would vote to drop TWC.  Weathernation is fine.  Anyone needing local severe weather info would be better off using a local source anyway. 

• damondlt and Sackchamp56 like this

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#17 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

well maybe we can get weather scan them and they can make an HD one for directv that covers the full lower 48.

weather mix channel in hd. the weather mix channel will contain a weather radar and weather loop from stations round the country. Kind seems like weather scan that is SD only right now.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#18 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

I use neither as i tune to the 6pm forecast on my local station as they seem to know just a little bit more about my local area. If there is severe weather i'll see a message pop up on my facebook feed from them or better yet, ill see in the sky that a storm is coming and then tune in to the local radar online to see whats up..

FWIW, if i had to chose, WeatherNation i feel is on the better track.

• elaclair likes this

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#19 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,145 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

Why?  DirecTV's customer base is large enough to support 2 different weather channels. 

• Chuck W likes this

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#20 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,853 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

I don't recall the last time I watched a weather channel. For weather forcasts, I use Weather Underground, and I have a SAME radio for severe weather alerts. Like Sacramento gets frequent severe weather unlike other portions of the country (tornado alley, anyone?)
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

spam firewall