Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Did you see the morons in Battery Park when Sandy hit NY harbor?  I know how serious that was but what were they thinking?  

Rich

Not sure , the could have just put out a camera, I don't need to see them standing in it LOL. All that tells me is weather men are dumb LOL.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Well, the women on TWC glam it up a lot more. But only a couple hours a day of actual weather makes it frustrating and effectively useless.

I got upset when they started naming winter storms like hurricanes just for publicity.

• vobguy likes this

#43 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

I would like to see Weather Underground have a channel.

Considering that The Weather Channel purchased Weather Underground last year, the chances of that happening are slim to none.
  • damondlt likes this

#44 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

No Alex Wilson, no Directv for Me :(  I like both THC and Weathernation. I do wish TWC  would go back to all time weather! I don't care about there other shows.  

#45 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

Probably not. Here's why, The Weather Channel is owned by NBC Universal. So, to get SyFy, USA, MSNBC, Universal Sports, Universal Network, NBC Sports Network, Ovation, We, CNBC, et. al., DirecTV will have to carry The Weather Channel. WeatherNation is much better; it is weather reports, which is the whole idea. The Weather Channel has turned into a reality channel, albeit weather related, with weather reports sprinkled in fro good measure. WeatherNation si what teh Weather Channel use dto be in its early days.

#46 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Probably not. Here's why, The Weather Channel is owned by NBC Universal. So, to get SyFy, USA, MSNBC, Universal Sports, Universal Network, NBC Sports Network, Ovation, We, CNBC, et. al., DirecTV will have to carry The Weather Channel. WeatherNation is much better; it is weather reports, which is the whole idea. The Weather Channel has turned into a reality channel, albeit weather related, with weather reports sprinkled in fro good measure. WeatherNation si what teh Weather Channel use dto be in its early days.

drop them all, and lower my price

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,717 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

So, is bundling an exempt practice when it comes to negotiating packages with providers? I don't mean lower pricing if you buy all, but forcing you to take all or nothing. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Comcast can dream about being able to use the weather channel to leverage all those others but it won't happen. They aren't all up at the same time. Now they might try and leverage the others to get twc back on when those others come back up for renewal, but I'd bet they'd have to settle for less at that point than what they want today for twc.

#49 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

little fact that is being dismissed. with the proliferation of smartphones, these weather channels have become useless for what they were supposed to provide.

I know a ton of older people in this country who will never have a smart phone and live in areas where weather is extremely important and will want a weather channel till the day they die. Maybe in another 40 years but for now, there's a need for these channels.

What sad is twc is trying to Figure out how to be more than what it was originally so it can make more money instead of just being happy being a cash cow...some times channels are best sticking to what they where when they where created and not trying to be "better"
  • tnd777 likes this

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,717 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I know a ton of older people in this country who will never have a smart phone and live in areas where weather is extremely important and will want a weather channel till the day they die. Maybe in another 40 years but for now, there's a need for these channels. 

Well, a desire. If weather watching is of prime importance, TWC is not the answer (nor is Weathernation). Radio, internet, or local TV are all alternatives. Or keeping an eye towards where storms tend to sweep in. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#51 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

My 90 year old aunt living in the middle of Texas watches two main things. Sports and everyone's weather. And I know plenty of others similar.

#52 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

Did you see the morons in Battery Park when Sandy hit NY harbor?  I know how serious that was but what were they thinking?  

Rich

I cant remember which hurricane it was, but they were doing a live shot on the street parallel to the ocean, and acting like they were having trouble standing in the wind, when an SUV of college students pulled up behind them and started mooning the weather channels camera.   I laughed my butt off.

Ah...I found it:

Edited by Davenlr, 29 December 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#53 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

My 90 year old aunt living in the middle of Texas watches two main things. Sports and everyone's weather. And I know plenty of others similar.

yep they would lose a lot of business from those older customers if they don't have a weather channel option

#54 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

+1 for dropping TWC. It is a channel that has become worthless as they have gravitated to a 24/7 reality TV cable channel. I love the new Weathernation channel too!

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#55 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 429 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

ok with me.

You can keep the change

#56 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 29 December 2013 - 07:42 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#57 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,751 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Even though thunderstorms are unheard of during snowstorms, he acts like he never saw a thunderstorm before :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using DBSTalk mobile app

#58 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

You have to admit, seeing those poor souls standing on beaches in the middle or hurricanes is interesting.  Seeing them in mild rainstorms that are supposed to be hurricanes or standing in an inch of snow that is supposed to be a blizzard is even funnier.  I think. I'd miss those moments.

Rich

The best were the "Flood Waters" NBC was reporting on previously.  The reporter was in a canoe and 2 men walked by and the water was barely above their ankles.

• mrdobolina likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#59 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

The only reason for me to watch TWC is our hot local weather girl just left to work there.  :D

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#60 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Why?  DirecTV's customer base is large enough to support 2 different weather channels. 

Yep, if they can support the amount of shopping channels they have, they can support 2 weather channels.

• satcrazy likes this

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

Protected By... spam firewall...And...