Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#751 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,661 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Yes, saywhat, we know you hope the Weather Channel burns down from your many posts.

Without getting personal (so I won't have to ban myself from the thread):
The arrogance of TWC bothers me. They speak as if they are the sole source of emergency information ... and yet right now they are showing an episode of "Freaks of Nature" with a blind guy who claims to be able to see with his hearing. The past two hours were reality shows with only two "Weather on the 8's" per hour ... NO OTHER WEATHER INFORMATION.

Prior to 8pm we were all going to die. Janus was consuming the nation. Hype Hype Hype. But that all ended at 8pm. The weather emergency is not over yet ... but TWC decided to show something else ... and no weather.

TWC negotiated to keep their place on DirecTV but lost. So they turned to heart wrenching stories of how people were affected by weather (not necessarily TWC) including quoting people out of context to claim their channel was critical. They urge people to call congress ... who have no power in this private negotiation ... and claim that lives will be lost without THEIR coverage. During the final hours on DirecTV they gave wall to wall coverage of a minor storm - as if that is what they do all the time. And soon after the 12:01am deadline passed they were back to "reality shows".

They make false claims in their press releases --- claiming that 100 million people rely on them daily when their ratings show only 200k total tune in on a good day (and the best day in the history of the channel was 1.5 million). Not 100 million people daily. Not by a long shot.

They charge 12c per month and are not worth the cost. They consider themselves "the" weather channel when in reality there can be others.

BTW: It has been 30 minutes ... still -5 now 7 tomorrow in Chicago. I'm not sure where in Chicago - NWS say it is 7 now predicting 9 tomorrow.
  • Herdfan likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#752 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

The past two hours were reality shows with only two "Weather on the 8's" per hour ... NO OTHER WEATHER INFORMATION.

So, I guess several million in Texas are going to be left to die.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#753 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

Channel ratings prove that only a tiny percentage of D* subscribers watch the weather channel. The revenue earned from the channel is minimal. D* is running a business. TWC overplayed their hand and D* called their bluff. If a few DirecTV subscibers are so angry at the loss of this channel, then they should pay the cancellation fee and pick another provider.

The Weather Channel can waste their time with all the full page ads that they want, it isn't going to alter the facts....and the facts are that this channel is too expensive based on percentage of viewers and revenue earned.

The horse is dead....time to stop flogging.

#754 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

I see on Directvs facebook, The Weather Channel complaints are fizzling out slowly and a demand for The Blaze channel is coming alive.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#755 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

The Blaze will keep us warm. :grin:

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#756 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

Heh.... check out the Waive The Fee page that the weather channel put up. Because these things tend to disappear once disputes are settled, I've also attached a PDF.

Wave goodbye Weather Channel.

Attached Files

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#757 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

^^^

There are stories about that popping up everywhere.  

Here's one of them...

weather-channel-logo__121031002740.jpeg DirecTV_logo__130614042300-275x205.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#758 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,384 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

What we have witnessed are cries of desperation coming from The Weather Channel. There were no reports of mass suffering and death caused by the recent major snow storm that hit the northeast due to the lack of The Weather Channel being absent to DirecTV's customers. My advice to David W. Lenny is do what I suggested earlier and rename your company to "The Withered Channel"!

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#759 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,210 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

Someone please tell my S4 Android phone this, cuz it is in the Google Play Store and shows installed on both my phone and tablet. 

Let me rephrase.  If you have an i-device, you must have iOS 7 if you want to use the Weather Underground app.

My Setup

#760 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Heh.... check out the Waive The Fee page that the weather channel put up. Because these things tend to disappear once disputes are settled, I've also attached a PDF.

Again, if it's SO important, why can't they (TWC/Comcast/NBC-Universal) pay the ETF for those angry customers?

#761 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,786 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

It appears that they are monitoring and removing any negative comments on that site since I did not see even 1 post against them.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#762 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for sharing your comment! Your post is currently awaiting moderation, you should see it soon!

For some straaaaaaaaaaaange reason I don't think you'll be reading my comment on the petition  :righton:

#763 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

It appears that they are monitoring and removing any negative comments on that site since I did not see even 1 post against them.

I don't think they're going to like that form letter they have you 'send' to the CEO of Directv either...LOL

#764 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,173 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

I made two post one negative one positive.  any bets which gets posted?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#765 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,210 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Accuweather could have had a huge debut if they had been up and running when this hit.

My Setup

#766 OFFLINE   SouthDTVWatcher

SouthDTVWatcher

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

DirecTV made a good switch. Weather Nation provides plenty of information.

Weather Channel personnel had become too enamered with themselves. Too many non-weather programs and too much silliness on the Weather Channel. The Jim Cantore (and others) stunts (standing out in blizzards and hurricanes) encourage young people to take foolish risks.

I hope WNTV continues to be informative without chatter and non-weather programming. So far it is much better than WC. I wonder if this will put the skids on the Weather Channel's recently announced expansion in Marietta, Georgia?

Edited by SouthDTVWatcher, 23 January 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#767 OFFLINE   morgan79

morgan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

i wouldnt cancel my dtv for this channel,,more liberal spin....twc goodbye,,, like weather nation,,, cant wait until accuweather channel enters the picture,may the best channel win.....

#768 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

If that many people are calling directv and dropping service or complaining don't you think TWC would be back on by now?

• Dude111 likes this
DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#769 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 361 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Try posting a positive comment about Weather NATION on TWC's website.  Perhaps that will make it through the "moderation"?  :grin:

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#770 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thank You for the responses earlier on.

Again, if you're in an affected area, you should be watching your local media.

Those 'names' are one of the main reasons many people despise them.

I'd like naming for Hurricanes dropped too.

As for local media, they don't always get it right. They seem to be more interested in how can they spin things to advance an agenda anymore.

I lost respect for local media some years back when they covered a "Heroic mother cat" saving her kittens. No concious decison, just instinct.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#771 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Weather Nation have a local station feel to it at least that's what it looks to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#772 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

The following is the boiler plate that gets sent when you try to comment on their heavily moderated site:

Dear Mr. White:

DIRECTV customers were given neither a warning nor a vote when you decided to drop The Weather Channel. Now we are getting less, while DIRECTV is charging more (thanks to another round of rate increases).

Given your decision to short-change your customers, surely we should be allowed to switch TV providers without being held hostage by hefty cancellation fees.

Fairness ought to trump the fine print in your contracts.

Sincerely,

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#773 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hah! I think the moderation is tipped off by not only no negative comments or questions, but a two hour gap in posts. 

What a bunch of crooks. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#774 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,035 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

I hope all you Weather Nation band wagoners are happy with your crappy weather now. Weather Nation's coverage of the big storm on the east coast yesterday was abysmal. I watched them for a couple hours last night, and at one point they went 40 minutes without saying anything about the storm, spending more time talking about the temperatures in Kansas ( I kid not!).. Then they put up this snowfall map that shows absolutely no snow from Washington to Boston, when these places are getting hammered. And their radar was at least an hour or two old. You'll be real happy when they tell you about the tornado that hit your house 3 hours ago. Bring back the real thing...

We got a foot of snow during that East Coast storm and I didn't miss TWC one bit.  I knew what was gonna happen by following my phone app.  

Rich

#775 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thank You for the responses earlier on.

I'd like naming for Hurricanes dropped too.

As for local media, they don't always get it right. They seem to be more interested in how can they spin things to advance an agenda anymore.

I lost respect for local media some years back when they covered a "Heroic mother cat" saving her kittens. No concious decison, just instinct.

Naming of tropical storms and hurricanes actually makes some sense when you have more than one at a time. Naming of winter storms makes less sense, as they are much less defined.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...