Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#741 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Yes, saywhat, we know you hope the Weather Channel burns down from your many posts.

The question I have is why does it bother you that much, especially if you never bothered to watch it much to begin with and hate their programming?

Did they personally insult you in some way?

Edited by Bambler, 22 January 2014 - 08:48 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#742 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,949 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Yes, saywhat, we know you hope the Weather Channel burns down from your many posts.

The question I have is why does it bother you that much, especially if you never bothered to watch it much to begin with and hate their programming?

and my question is, why does it bothers you that it brothers him....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#743 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

It's not bothering me, I'm just curious.

#744 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Since you're the official updater on what's happening on TWC, can you tell me what's the temperature in Chicago? I really need to know my life depends on it :)

You're in luck ... the twice hourly weather on the 8's popped up just as I read your message. It is -5 now and is predicted to be 7 degrees tomorrow. More weather in 30 minutes ... now back to video of lava consuming homes (after commercials and an anti-DirecTV "keep the weather channel" advertisement).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#745 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

I tried to start a Poll a few days ago, but I guess us peon members can't do that here.

Your level of membership should allow you to create a poll as you create a thread ... but we already have enough threads on the topic of TWC and really don't need another thread. There was a poll thread started before TWC's contract expired last week that was running about 80% in favor of letting TWC go.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#746 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

You're in luck ... the twice hourly weather on the 8's popped up just as I read your message. It is -5 now and is predicted to be 7 degrees tomorrow. More weather in 30 minutes ... now back to video of lava consuming homes (after commercials and an anti-DirecTV "keep the weather channel" advertisement).

sarcasm but thanks anyway.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#747 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

He said it in his posts, not only the whole naming winter storms thing, they purchased independent weather sites like Weather Underground along with attempting to register the .weather top level domain.

When DirecTV was about to drop them they put on a giant farce of going live 24/7, only to go back to the regularly scheduled reality shows an hour after they were dropped. (It would be like MTV, VH1 and CMT airing nonstop music videos right before the Viacom dispute)

And to add on that, issuing a press release clearly written by someone totally full of themselves claiming public safety is at risk and saying Congress needs to get involved, despite only providing coverage when a major east coast or midwest city is under the hammer. If they really cared about public safety they'd be providing coverage of the blizzard in the Dakota's right now instead of Coast Guard Alaska, which oddly enough takes place in a state that RARELY gets coverage when it comes to actual weather forecasts from them.

The WeatherNation issue has been addressed multiple times in this thread. Before DirecTV carried them they were just a service to some OTA stations and it was the local affiliate who broke in for severe weather coverage. Right now they operate on wheel where every 10 minutes they provide coverage of a different region in the country, however they are running promos saying upgraded graphics and live coverage are coming soon.

#748 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

What I like about WN is the few commercials they show, but I have a feeling that's going to change

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#749 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Your level of membership should allow you to create a poll as you create a thread ...

Didn't work the other day, but no biggie.

Y'all know know about the Winter Storm Watch for deep Texas, right?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#750 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

I think I have a WN app on my Sony 3d Bluray player, I think TWC meant to say about life threatening is the storm shows they show, or someone is getting canned for not bringing in money from Directv, similar to drug dealing if you don't bring in enough money they will be consequences, only it's not shooting someone but they'll have a big debt in their hands.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#751 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Without getting personal (so I won't have to ban myself from the thread):
The arrogance of TWC bothers me. They speak as if they are the sole source of emergency information ... and yet right now they are showing an episode of "Freaks of Nature" with a blind guy who claims to be able to see with his hearing. The past two hours were reality shows with only two "Weather on the 8's" per hour ... NO OTHER WEATHER INFORMATION.

Prior to 8pm we were all going to die. Janus was consuming the nation. Hype Hype Hype. But that all ended at 8pm. The weather emergency is not over yet ... but TWC decided to show something else ... and no weather.

TWC negotiated to keep their place on DirecTV but lost. So they turned to heart wrenching stories of how people were affected by weather (not necessarily TWC) including quoting people out of context to claim their channel was critical. They urge people to call congress ... who have no power in this private negotiation ... and claim that lives will be lost without THEIR coverage. During the final hours on DirecTV they gave wall to wall coverage of a minor storm - as if that is what they do all the time. And soon after the 12:01am deadline passed they were back to "reality shows".

They make false claims in their press releases --- claiming that 100 million people rely on them daily when their ratings show only 200k total tune in on a good day (and the best day in the history of the channel was 1.5 million). Not 100 million people daily. Not by a long shot.

They charge 12c per month and are not worth the cost. They consider themselves "the" weather channel when in reality there can be others.

BTW: It has been 30 minutes ... still -5 now 7 tomorrow in Chicago. I'm not sure where in Chicago - NWS say it is 7 now predicting 9 tomorrow.
  • Herdfan likes this

#752 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

The past two hours were reality shows with only two "Weather on the 8's" per hour ... NO OTHER WEATHER INFORMATION.

So, I guess several million in Texas are going to be left to die.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#753 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

Channel ratings prove that only a tiny percentage of D* subscribers watch the weather channel. The revenue earned from the channel is minimal. D* is running a business. TWC overplayed their hand and D* called their bluff. If a few DirecTV subscibers are so angry at the loss of this channel, then they should pay the cancellation fee and pick another provider.

The Weather Channel can waste their time with all the full page ads that they want, it isn't going to alter the facts....and the facts are that this channel is too expensive based on percentage of viewers and revenue earned.

The horse is dead....time to stop flogging.

#754 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

I see on Directvs facebook, The Weather Channel complaints are fizzling out slowly and a demand for The Blaze channel is coming alive.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#755 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

The Blaze will keep us warm. :grin:

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#756 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

Heh.... check out the Waive The Fee page that the weather channel put up. Because these things tend to disappear once disputes are settled, I've also attached a PDF.

Wave goodbye Weather Channel.

Attached Files

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#757 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,609 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

^^^

There are stories about that popping up everywhere.  

Here's one of them...

weather-channel-logo__121031002740.jpeg DirecTV_logo__130614042300-275x205.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#758 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,679 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

What we have witnessed are cries of desperation coming from The Weather Channel. There were no reports of mass suffering and death caused by the recent major snow storm that hit the northeast due to the lack of The Weather Channel being absent to DirecTV's customers. My advice to David W. Lenny is do what I suggested earlier and rename your company to "The Withered Channel"!

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#759 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

Someone please tell my S4 Android phone this, cuz it is in the Google Play Store and shows installed on both my phone and tablet. 

Let me rephrase.  If you have an i-device, you must have iOS 7 if you want to use the Weather Underground app.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#760 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Heh.... check out the Waive The Fee page that the weather channel put up. Because these things tend to disappear once disputes are settled, I've also attached a PDF.

Wave goodbye Weather Channel.

Again, if it's SO important, why can't they (TWC/Comcast/NBC-Universal) pay the ETF for those angry customers?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...