Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

The best were the "Flood Waters" NBC was reporting on previously.  The reporter was in a canoe and 2 men walked by and the water was barely above their ankles.

Wow, talk about sensationalism !!!!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yep, if they can support the amount of shopping channels they have, they can support 2 weather channels.

I am sure they could, if the weather channels in question paid DirecTv to be carried and gave DirecTv a cut of their profits, like the shopping channels do.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#63 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,576 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Wow, talk about sensationalism !!!!

The hosts called out the reporter pretty well, however. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#64 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

I find it rather humorus how there is a trapped ship in the antarctic ice and the Weather Channel is having live interviews with the crew...

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,214 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

I cant remember which hurricane it was, but they were doing a live shot on the street parallel to the ocean, and acting like they were having trouble standing in the wind, when an SUV of college students pulled up behind them and started mooning the weather channels camera.   I laughed my butt off.

Ah...I found it:

We used to drive to Times Square just to "shoot a moon" occasionally.  It's really hard to get a full moon in a car.  Windows just aren't big enough.  But we persevered and got our shots in.  Never got caught.  

Rich

#66 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,214 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

The best were the "Flood Waters" NBC was reporting on previously.  The reporter was in a canoe and 2 men walked by and the water was barely above their ankles.

I've never understood why people live so close to the river in Wayne.  I've never understood why I bought a house so close to the Raritan River.   You'd think growing up down the shore in NJ, I'd have been more aware of the flooding possibilities.  

Rich

#67 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

D* gets paid to carry the shopping channels.  They'll take as many as they can get (as I fondly recall 1996 when they only had a few shopping channels).

Back on topic - Drop TWC and send a message that we don't want your darn reality shows.

• damondlt likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996

#68 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

All channels these days have deviated to reality shows.  Really is A&E about "Arts and Entertainment" anymore?  Is Bravo about theater?  Is MTV about Music?  The answer is NO to all of those.

Also being an NBC/Comcast property, I think there could be some hard feelings between DirecTV and Comcast all from that CSN Sportsnet Philly debate where Comcast will not let that network on.  That's fine with me, I have no regional sports fees because of it, so it can stay that way for all I care.  But Oxygen, Esquire and Sprout are all NBC Comcast properties but they are not in HD with DirecTV.  So TWC might have to negotiate big with other properties to stay.  Like say "we will give you Esquire, Oxygen and Sprout in HD as well as keep TWC for the new negotiated price".

Why would Weather Nation get cut either?  There's more than one sports channel, more than one music channel, more than one movie channel, so surely there can be more than one weather channel.  It's all about options for the very diverse subscriber base.  Being added so quickly, couldn't WN sue DirecTV if they pulled it off so fast?  I'm sure Weathernation is loving the fact that they have millions of potential viewers now with the carriage on DirecTV.  Prior to that they were literally a nobody.  I'm sure they would want to fight to stay on DirecTV.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#69 OFFLINE   ATLFAN48

ATLFAN48

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

This ain't G4.   This  one gets resolved rather quickly is my bet.

#70 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

"Spokespeople for DirecTV and the Weather Channel declined to comment on their talks. The carriage agreement expires at the end of the year."

The end of the year is soon.

http://www.latimes.c...y#ixzz2p5xNLiqp

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#71 OFFLINE   jle1639

jle1639

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts
  • Locationdothan al

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

I HOPE DIREC DROP THE TWC. :rotfl:

#72 OFFLINE   spikor

spikor

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

I hope they keep Weather Nation on.....I like it a whole lot better than the Weather Channel....This channel is all Weather....Imagine that all weather... No digging in the Rocks for Jems... no Coast Guard Alaska etc. and so on.....IF they want to have those Shows on they need to add a SubChannel. I no longer care for the Weather Channel and their LACK of Weather.....Weather Nation said they will be updating their Maps and Graphics soon as well.

#73 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

I hope they keep Weather Nation on.....I like it a whole lot better than the Weather Channel....This channel is all Weather....Imagine that all weather... No digging in the Rocks for Jems... no Coast Guard Alaska etc. and so on.....IF they want to have those Shows on they need to add a SubChannel. I no longer care for the Weather Channel and their LACK of Weather.....Weather Nation said they will be updating their Maps and Graphics soon as well.

drop Weather Channel now they are not even showing live reports to night.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#74 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

I see it's still on and with the storm about to hit the northeast, I can't say I'm surprised.

I wonder if this is a temporary extension or if a deal was reached.

#75 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

When I saw a Sixto Report on my inbox this morning, I was expecting it to be dropping the channel. I think it's not necessarily that they have to drop it on expiration, but the owner can require it to be dropped. But there likely was an extension. Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

#76 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Probably not. Here's why, The Weather Channel is owned by NBC Universal. So, to get SyFy, USA, MSNBC, Universal Sports, Universal Network, NBC Sports Network, Ovation, We, CNBC, et. al., DirecTV will have to carry The Weather Channel. WeatherNation is much better; it is weather reports, which is the whole idea. The Weather Channel has turned into a reality channel, albeit weather related, with weather reports sprinkled in fro good measure. WeatherNation si what teh Weather Channel use dto be in its early days.

That may or not be true. It depends on how their contract with Directv reads.

#77 OFFLINE   peterav

peterav

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

WeatherNation does not have live continuous weather. They record and playback their shows. They are just a small outfit with limited resources so I don't trust them to have accurate and reliable weather. The quality of the info will be a major downgrade if they end up replacing TWC, and another example of DirecTV screwing us.

#78 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

WeatherNation does not have live continuous weather. They record and playback their shows. They are just a small outfit with limited resources so I don't trust them to have accurate and reliable weather. The quality of the info will be a major downgrade if they end up replacing TWC, and another example of DirecTV screwing us.

no example of comcast / nbc screwing us all.

They killed G4 / tech and the scifi channel lost good shows.

• PCampbell likes this
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#79 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

Why no local Weather on Weathernation?  I like both.

#80 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

I see it's still on and with the storm about to hit the northeast, I can't say I'm surprised.

Ahem, that's Snowstorm Hercules, buddy!  Better get it straight or else! LOL  :rotfl:

spam firewall