Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#921 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

I'll bet most of those "signatures" originated from the same place in Georgia...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#922 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

I'll bet most of those "signatures" originated from the same place in Georgia...

any how many of those even have DTV?

#923 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Here is a DirecTv customer that doesnt like TWC:

http://www.buzzfeed....hot-immediately

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#924 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,549 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Here is a DirecTv customer that doesnt like TWC:
http://www.buzzfeed....hot-immediately

He kneed him in the nuts :) What was he thinking he should of came from behind :)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#925 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

He kneed him in the nuts :) What was he thinking he should of came from behind :)

He probably should not have screamed as he approached ... but Cantore handled it well.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#926 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Blog posting in Scientific American about why TWC is naming storms and why the author thinks it is good.

http://blogs.scienti...-a-great-thing/

#927 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,849 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

The naming of storms was originally by George R. Stewart as part of a plot device for the 1941 book Storm that is set in January, 1935. I originally heard of this book through a Old Radio Dramatization, and sought the book out. I had to smile at some of the challenges that they faced in figuring out tomorrow's weather, with the ten-day forecast that we take for granted being quite impossible.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#928 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

Blog posting in Scientific American about why TWC is naming storms and why the author thinks it is good.

http://blogs.scienti...-a-great-thing/

Older links, but on target:

Why TWC Is Wrong To Name Winter Storms
http://www.wundergro...e-winter-storms

The likely reason for the naming of winter storms is, of course, ratings. I've stated before, TWC is, before anything else, a television channel. Without viewers, they don't exist. I have no problem with them doing things to draw more viewers. They've certainly attempted to modernize their lineup in recent years and while I'd prefer it the way it used to be, it's something I have little problem dealing with. Naming winter storms crossed the line though. This is a move that reeks of desperation.

TWC Winter Storm Naming "Will Mislead Public"
http://www.accuweath...ng-will-m/83668

After reviewing The Weather Channel's release in its entirety and taking into account all factors, Dr. Joel N. Myers, AccuWeather Founder and President, released the following statement:

"In unilaterally deciding to name winter storms, The Weather Channel has confused media spin with science and public safety. We have explored this issue for 20 years and have found that this is not good science and will mislead the public. Winter storms are very different from hurricanes. ...

From NWS:

The National Weather Service has no opinion about private weather enterprise products and services. A winter storm's impact can vary from one location to another, and storms can weaken and redevelop, making it difficult to define where one ends and another begins. While the National Weather Service does not name winter storms, we do rate major winter storms after the fact.

TWC claims that they are using NWS criteria for deciding to name storms ... but the NWS does not name winter storms nor do they rate them until AFTER the storm was over. TWC might as well be naming tornadoes.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#929 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,849 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

For whatever it's worth, I'm watching the Atlanta snowjam through the NBC affiliate's 11 Alive website. Nice, good coverage.

I wonder what the weather channel is currently showing.
  • Herdfan likes this
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#930 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,751 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

What's interesting about James's links is that post on Weather Underground was after TWC bought it.

As for Cantore, it's actually fairly impressive that he didn't miss a beat. And even us that don't get TWC can see it :)

#931 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,528 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Update: DirecTV bumps Weather Channel's Jim Cantore from Dan Patrick Show

Sportscaster Dan Patrick found his popular morning radio and television show caught in the middle of a feud between DirecTV and the Weather Channel.

Patrick's show had booked Weather Channel star Jim Cantore to appear on the show this week to talk about the forecast for Sunday's Super Bowl, which is being played in northern New Jersey.

the-dan-patrick-show-32.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#932 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

What's interesting about James's links is that post on Weather Underground was after TWC bought it.

As for Cantore, it's actually fairly impressive that he didn't miss a beat. And even us that don't get TWC can see it :)

One of my local stations ran the clip and mentioned that he's apparently some kind of tough guy body builder type.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#933 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Cantore is an idiot:  http://blog.chron.co...eather-service/

DirecTV customer since 1996

#934 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

I think he either knew it was coming (as a publicity stunt) or he recognized it from having done the same thing himself in younger years.

I grew up in a 3-channel world...and there's often still nothing on I want to watch!

HR44-500 w/ AM-21
HR24-200

#935 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

I think he either knew it was coming (as a publicity stunt)

"See the fun you people on Directv are missing?!?"

#936 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Actually we aren't missing it, we can see it online just like we can get weather online if we wanted too. No need for the weather channel.

Edited by betterdan, 29 January 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#937 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,465 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

"See the fun you people on Directv are missing?!?"

True, but we now have Weather Nation and are getting the weather, on a weather network, when we want it.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#938 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

What would happen if TWC (and its owners) bought out Weather Nation?

No idea if it's even feasible or if even Weather Nation would entertain being purchased, but it would be funny if it happened, hypothetically speaking.

#939 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

What would happen if TWC (and its owners) bought out Weather Nation?

No idea if it's even feasible or if even Weather Nation would entertain being purchased, but it would be funny if it happened, hypothetically speaking.

Read post #815. They're in no position to be purchasing anything.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#940 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

Read post #815. They're in no position to be purchasing anything.

I wouldn't say that.  They've bought or bought into nearly everything weather related on the web.  TWC itself may not be in a position to do it, but Bain and Blackstone are.  They could buy WN with pocket change and put it under TWC control.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

spam firewall