Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,649 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Didn't Dish do exactly that when they were negotiating with TWC las time around?

Yes ... the channel was on for a few days and then pulled with additional promises made (it was to be replaced by a regionalized 24/7 weather channel that never came). I remain disappointed even though years have passed and I generally don't watch TWC (I did use the weather app on the receiver earlier today to look at the forecast).

I don't like broken promises - and while DirecTV has not promised that WeatherNation will be carried, making the channel available is on some level a promise. (Have they even announced the channel? I don't see a press release or see it on their package comparison page.) It is not something that millions will leave DirecTV over, but it isn't good to add channels just to be dropped.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:02 AM

Unheard of? I have been in at least 4 thunder snow storms every year. Most of the time it snows hard here in the mountains it is during a thunderstrom.

Well YMMV, but I've never seen it, what I did seen is a huge snowstorm one day, and thunder rain showers the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#103 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:39 AM

We get them here in NJ, too.

Rich

Here in Pa too

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#104 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

We get them in Mi at times but it is rare.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#105 OFFLINE   mlyles

mlyles

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

May be a little off-topic.  But has anyone else's Local On The 8's stopped working?  That's the only reason I watched TWC.  It stopped showing up about 3 months ago.  HR24.

#106 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Working here. When on TWC hit the red button for local then delete and renter your zip.
DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#107 OFFLINE   mlyles

mlyles

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

It worked!  Thanks, dude.

#108 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Cool, now back to topic dump TWC.

• tnd777 likes this
DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#109 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,154 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

!rolling

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#110 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

The Weather Channel or Time Warner Cable? :)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#111 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Both! :grin:

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#112 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

An Awesome Dude

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

The new weather channel, WeatherNation is already live. It's been live since Dec 16 on channel 361.

Indeed and its MUCH BETTER than TWC is now!! (Does anyone think they will screw it up??)

#113 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

Looks like the temporary agreement ends Monday.

http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#114 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,643 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

This morning the Weather Channel is saying that DirecTV will drop them on Tuesday, and to call DirecTV and complain. They sound really concerned as every so often the announcers talk about it.

The Weather Channel just doesn't get the message. When people turn to their channel they want to see the weather, not reality shows. That is what we have The Discovery Channels for. If Weather Nation adds the local forecasts I won't miss the Weather Channel at all.

• damondlt, Rich and tnd777 like this

#115 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'll be glad to see them go.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#116 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,779 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

This morning the Weather Channel is saying that DirecTV will drop them on Tuesday, and to call DirecTV and complain. They sound really concerned as every so often the announcers talk about it.

The Weather Channel just doesn't get the message. When people turn to their channel they want to see the weather, not reality shows. That is what we have The Discovery Channels for. If Weather Nation adds the local forecasts I won't miss the Weather Channel at all.

+1 for sure.

I rely on my computer for the weather.

Edited by jimmie57, 11 January 2014 - 10:30 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#117 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

+1 for sure.

Yep , along with 3 locals that text me during school related and weather related Emergencies .

Every time I go to the weather channel, they always have some BS show on.  I can watch shows like this on Discovery channel.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#118 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,643 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

+1 for sure.

I do also, along with my smartphone. But occasionally I like to turn to the Weather Channel for weather, but now reality shows.

#119 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'll be glad to see them go.

Aww, now we'll miss all the guys standing in light rain waiting futilely for the hurricane that's gonna miss us.  And you know Jim Cantore is gonna get swept out to sea one of these days.  We'll all miss that.

Rich 

#120 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Yep , along with 3 locals that text me during school related and weather related Emergencies .

Every time I go to the weather channel, they always have some BS show on.  I can watch shows like this on Discovery channel.

That the Nixle alerts?  I get them and find them quite handy.  

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#121 OFFLINE   ATLFAN48

ATLFAN48

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

As a Premier sub with four sports packages I am dead set against anytime content is taken away no matter what that content happens to be.  The bigger issue here is that this is once again DTV vs. Comcast.  Even if you're on board with TWC going away, will you be when it is SCI-FY, USA, MSNBC, etc.  First it was G4 and now TWC.  Comcast is the poster child for why providers should not be allowed into the content business on a national level.  It's fine when we're talking about a channel exclusive to that system but not one with national feed.  Every sub should fight for TWC, because sooner or later its going to be a channel you do care about and don't want to see dropped.  If it does go away our bills won't drop anyway.  Although given TWC's reach I can't see this one going away forever no matter what happens Tuesday.

• Laxguy likes this

#122 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Yeah I think Comcast just wants to sabotage and jeopardize DirecTV. They won't even allow CSN Philly on the system because they are too afraid to have subscriber defications to direcTV. Well maybe if they would focus on their core product, deliver a good one and believe in it- they could wash that fear away and instill a fair playing ground. They haven't added any new HD for over 2 years. Anyway I think a lot stems from the sports net debate and then into G4 and now TWC. Notice we don't have Esquire, Oxygen or Sprout in HD either. I think losing TWC is just going to aggravate the existing rift between DirecTV and Comcast. Looks like we will never see new NBC/Comcast content in HD unless the two companies can be adults and put their differences aside. Though I think it's mostly on Comcast because they know they have a **** product and if DirecTv had all the same content all comcast would have left is Internet and phone subs.

Edited by cypherx, 11 January 2014 - 12:09 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#123 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

That the Nixle alerts?  I get them and find them quite handy.  

Rich

You get your school closings and delays, along with any severe weather alerts that are issued, I have it set for 3 counties.

Its nice!

WNEP.com

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#124 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Yeah I think Comcast just wants to sabotage and jeopardize DirecTV. They won't even allow CSN Philly on the system because they are too afraid to have subscriber defications to direcTV. Well maybe if they would focus on their core product, deliver a good one and believe in it- they could wash that fear away and instill a fair playing ground. They haven't added any new HD for over 2 years. Anyway I think a lot stems from the sports net debate and then into G4 and now TWC. Notice we don't have Esquire, Oxygen or Sprout in HD either. I think losing TWC is just going to aggravate the existing rift between DirecTV and Comcast. Looks like we will never see new NBC/Comcast content in HD unless the two companies can be adults and put their differences aside. Though I think it's mostly on Comcast because they know they have a **** product and if DirecTv had all the same content all comcast would have left is Internet and phone subs.

Sorry, not trying to be mean, but I almost fell off my chair laughing when I saw that.  Thanx for the chuckle.

Rich

• sigma1914 likes this

#125 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

.  Comcast is the poster child for why providers should not be allowed into the content business on a national level.  It's fine when we're talking about a channel exclusive to that system but not one with national feed.  Every sub should fight for TWC,

So by your claim, we should just keep paying more money because we don't want to piss off Comcast?

We know our bills won't drop, we are not stupid.  But fixing a drippy faucet early prevents more near future damage.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Protected By... spam firewall...And...