Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

One thing about these disputes up until now (as far as I'm aware of) is that channels rarely get dropped permanently once they've been carried for a long time. I think Dish has a few and maybe DirecTV as well, but so far, that seems to be the exception and not the rule.

However, and this is a big however, if carriage agreements continue to become an item of contention (highly likely), and channels do get permanently dropped, we should be seeing prices drop if a big one goes bye-bye or multiple small ones (cumulatively).

I would be curious if DirecTV--who recently raised prices noting increased programming costs--would go the other way if they dumped a carriage agreement, without any intention of carrying it or anything else like it in the future?

I would imagine that there might be some backlash if they didn't do this, not a wide backlash, but a backlash nonetheless. I would be up in arms. Personally, I don't believe DirecTV would ever do this, no matter what got chopped.

The question I have is: how would you feel if they chopped off a channel on the order of $1 to $2 per month and didn't adjust your bill accordingly? What would happen if, over the span of two years, they dropped multiple channels totaling $5 or more per month without any adjustment and instead continued to raise prices? Would you leave?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,960 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

If ESPN got dropped, I'd bet on a price reduction. Others, no, as they're too small in relation to the over all package, and as channels get added, there's no immediate price increase. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#83 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

If especially was dropped for any length of time, there would be a mass exodus, and a drop in price would add to a serious cash flow problem. You'd probably have to call to get a credit. But, I don't think it would ever happen. Dish would do it first. Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

#84 OFFLINE   farmerdave4

farmerdave4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

Dish pulled the same trick a few years ago to push TWC to become a real weather channel again, it never happend. Just a bunch of theater.

#85 OFFLINE   iceburg02

iceburg02

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

I know a ton of older people in this country who will never have a smart phone and live in areas where weather is extremely important and will want a weather channel till the day they die. Maybe in another 40 years but for now, there's a need for these channels.

Probably the same demographic that's keeping the newspaper industry on life support  :slowgrin: 

#86 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Holy cow at TWC on-screen graphics when they decide to cover real weather! They take up literally half the screen. What a joke!

Edited by Araxen, 02 January 2014 - 08:35 PM.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#87 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

They are just a small outfit with limited resources so I don't trust them to have accurate and reliable weather. The quality of the info will be a major downgrade if they end up replacing TWC, and another example of DirecTV screwing us.

All TWC does is regurgitate what ONE of the several weather models, the GFS, spits out.  And it gets it wrong about half the time.  Take yesterday's storm for example, the NAM and the European had it building for several days, but until the GFS showed it, not a peep from TWC.  Then all of a sudden we have Winter Storm Hercules.

I don't care how small their budget is if they can analyze multiple models and not just follow one.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#88 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

TWC has gone the way of MTV.  They no longer show their base product, and  have a ton of crappy shows  instead.  Weathernation looks good enough for me. 

Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#89 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

All TWC does is regurgitate what ONE of the several weather models, the GFS, spits out. And it gets it wrong about half the time. Take yesterday's storm for example, the NAM and the European had it building for several days, but until the GFS showed it, not a peep from TWC. Then all of a sudden we have Winter Storm Hercules.

I don't care how small their budget is if they can analyze multiple models and not just follow one.

But how much of the European model data is freely available? Isn't most of it paid access, and how expensive is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#90 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

All TWC does is regurgitate what ONE of the several weather models, the GFS, spits out.  And it gets it wrong about half the time.  Take yesterday's storm for example, the NAM and the European had it building for several days, but until the GFS showed it, not a peep from TWC.  Then all of a sudden we have Winter Storm Hercules.

Hercules turned out to be pretty mild.  I had both my driveway and the widow's next door done so quickly I couldn't believe it.  About 6-8" of light fluffy stuff.  My son said his drive home from work at eleven o'clock last night wasn't bad.  My phone app was more correct than any TV content that I saw.  

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#91 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hercules turned out to be pretty mild.  I had both my driveway and the widow's next door done so quickly I couldn't believe it.  

Perhaps you might want to start doing mine...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#92 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Hercules turned out to be pretty mild.  I had both my driveway and the widow's next door done so quickly I couldn't believe it.  About 6-8" of light fluffy stuff.  My son said his drive home from work at eleven o'clock last night wasn't bad.  My phone app was more correct than any TV content that I saw.  

Rich

Yea we only got about 7 here and it was so lite, but it is only 4 degrees out too.

I have only half a crew today 5 took a sick day, which is fine, 2 are plowing and shoveling out my rentals other 3 are clearing out our construction site for our new venture.

I'm in the office, getting ready to meet some important people who know how to run a restaurant .

Should be fun.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#93 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Perhaps you might want to start doing mine...

I don't even want to do mine...

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

But how much of the European model data is freely available? Isn't most of it paid access, and how expensive is it?

It is a paid access model, but if a local weather blogger/TV Station (blogger is the head meteorologist) can afford it then I think any "national" weather service should be able to as well.

My phone app was more correct than any TV content that I saw.  

Rich

Which app are you using?

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#95 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

I'm surprised that near 2 feet of snow that we got on new years eve, we had no signal issues, but then again it wasn't slushy wet snow.

#96 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Even though thunderstorms are unheard of during snowstorms, he acts like he never saw a thunderstorm before :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using DBSTalk mobile app

Unheard of?  I have been in at least 4 thunder snow storms every year.  Most of the time it snows hard here in the mountains it is during a thunderstrom.

#97 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Unheard of?  I have been in at least 4 thunder snow storms every year.  Most of the time it snows hard here in the mountains it is during a thunderstrom.

We get them here in NJ, too.

Rich

#98 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

TWC has gone the way of MTV.  They no longer show their base product, and  have a ton of crappy shows  instead.  Weathernation looks good enough for me.

Hope Directv will keep both, but if one had to go, I would prefer to keep WeatherNation.

#99 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

I will be very disappointed in DirecTV if they drop WeatherNation. Threatening to add the channel as a negotiation ploy is one issue ... but actually introducing the channel to customers and then pulling it is not good.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#100 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I will be very disappointed in DirecTV if they drop WeatherNation. Threatening to add the channel as a negotiation ploy is one issue ... but actually introducing the channel to customers and then pulling it is not good.

Didn't Dish do exactly that when they were negotiating with TWC last time around?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

spam firewall