Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#1241 OFFLINE   kb301

kb301

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

We have charter here at work and I flipped through and noticed winter storm Vulcan on the screen. Damn near shot coffee out my nose.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

Ha ha, good one. I don't miss the reality TV at all. Weathernation and Directv will be rolling out a severe weather mix channel this month that will show the local news channels where the severe weather is occurring. I don't know about you guys, but if there's a major storm where I am at I am looking at local news anyway as they will provide the best information.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1242 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 492 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Because Vulcan is the God of Fire?

I didn't know that but now it's even more funny.

#1243 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

We have charter here at work and I flipped through and noticed winter storm Vulcan on the screen. Damn near shot coffee out my nose.

Live long and prosper!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1244 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,354 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I was joking earlier in the threads when I thought they would run out of names this year. Nine days to spring but only four names left?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1245 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

Live long and prosper!

Nanoo, Nanoo!!

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1246 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

It shows you much the weather channel is truly never coming back. I'm glad for one. The keeptheweatherchannel.com site now just redirects to weather.com.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#1247 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

It shows you much the weather channel is truly never coming back. I'm glad for one. The keeptheweatherchannel.com site now just redirects to weather.com.

The Weather Channel gave up so now we can give up and move on to new topics.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#1248 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

My friend writes for the site and I found this pretty funny...

http://thevane.gawke...hard-1546904488

Sam Champion's Weather Channel Premiere Flops...Hard

Ouch. Viewers just aren't all that into Sam Champion's new show America's Morning Headquarters (AMHQ), according to premiere day ratings posted by The Hollywood Reporter.

That number [207,000 viewers] would not be a huge bummer for Weather — it isn't exactly a ratings force — were it not for the fact that AMHQ actually fell 12 percent from the four-week time slot average. And that's following weeks of an aggressive marketing campaign from the network, which is actively trying to broaden its brand (and its audience).

AMHQ's haul had it ranking 80th in all of cable between 7 and 10 a.m.. That's below HLN's Morning Express with Robin Meade (No. 52) and a Lifetime rerun of Frasier (No. 66).

To be fair, that episode of Frasier was a classic. Ha ha...oh Roz.

But anyway, after weeks of The Weather Channel hyping up their new addition to the team, the premiere episode ranking "80th in all of cable" is incredibly disappointing for the network.

Champion's new morning show aims to format itself as a true morning news program in the same vein as Good Morning America or The Today Show, featuring non-weather news, sports, and documentary programming according to TVNewser.

• Lord Vader likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1249 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,354 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

Champion's new morning show aims to format itself as a true morning news program in the same vein as Good Morning America or The Today Show, featuring non-weather news, sports, and documentary programming according to TVNewser.

Will they never learn? TWC doesn't stand for "The Whatever Channel". Focus on the weather. :)
  • hasan and tnd777 like this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1250 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

Its interesting when I mentioned to DirecTV that TWC has a 2nd feed that is just like WN,they didnt reply to my email.........

Weather Nation appears to be good.....But DTV could have the same thing if they carried the weather channels WEATHER ONLY feed also....

#1251 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

Did you forget what you were told the 500 other times you brought that up in the other threads?

WeatherScan is not an actual channel with a national feed, it's a glorified version of Local on the 8s on a loop that is generated by an IntelliStar computer at the cable system's headend. There are no on screen meteorolgists giving an in depth forecast or anything like that on it. WeatherScan is NOTHING like WeatherNation.

Edited by KyL416, 20 March 2014 - 12:45 AM.

• mhking, sigma1914 and Dude111 like this

#1252 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

"had it ranking 80th in all of cable between 7 and 10 a.m.."

80th?

That high huh?  I'da thunk more like 180th behind all the shopping and church channels and NASA TV.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#1253 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

Did you forget what you were told the 500 other times you brought that up in the other threads?

WeatherScan is not an actual channel with a national feed, it's a glorified version of Local on the 8s on a loop that is generated by an IntelliStar computer at the cable system's headend

Thank you...... I blindly believed what the TWC person told me which I dont do very often!

Weathernation IS LOOKING BETTER everyday!!

#1254 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

DirecTV and WeatherNation Sign Multi-Year Deal

I guess we shouldn't expect TWC back anytime soon, huh?  ;)

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1255 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Bad link, it takes you to story about the Supreme Court striking down campaign limits

My Setup

#1256 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Still don't get the "glee" from TWC haters.  We lose a channel and their happy.  Rates still went up and and we lost a superior weather channel. (Yes one that shows reality shows.)  Thank goodness for their phone and tablet apps.   This becomes one the many "red flags" that I will use when my contract expires.

Some of My current "red flags" - continuous rate increases - loss of TWC - slow HD addition - no Epix Channel - imposing Adult icons into menu -  issues with Movers program - changing anniversary date - 

#1257 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

What's the changing anaversry date?

Adult icon is gone now and has been for a while, they heard the complaints.

You want to talk about increase ing costs? Epic would be considerable to everyone based on what was rumored to be what they wanted for that channel.

And just consider this. As a west coaster all of TWC reality shows where on starting at a time when I could actually watch the channel. I never got to see weather on that channel anymore. How is that useful, or superior in any way to weather nation? That may not be the case for everyone, but for west coasters, that channel is mostly useless unfortunately since they don't have an east and west coast feed. And costs go up all the time, comparison about the sports and local networks before this channel swap on that front.

#1258 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,642 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Still don't get the "glee" from TWC haters.  We lose a channel and their happy.  Rates still went up and and we lost a superior weather channel. (Yes one that shows reality shows.)  Thank goodness for their phone and tablet apps.   This becomes one the many "red flags" that I will use when my contract expires.

Some of My current "red flags" - continuous rate increases - loss of TWC - slow HD addition - no Epix Channel - imposing Adult icons into menu -  issues with Movers program - changing anniversary date - 

I was agnostic re TWC until they started with their crap about contacting Congress, about their hype that people will die if TWC was not on direcTV, that sort of thing. Now I hate the bas***ds. 

As to the rest of your plaint, you'll be happier elsewhere, for a while. 

• fleckrj likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1259 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

I was agnostic re TWC until they started with their crap about contacting Congress, about their hype that people will die if TWC was not on direcTV, that sort of thing. Now I hate the bas***ds. 

This.  I was pretty neutral on the whole thing until TWC started really hitting below the belt and started acting like DIRECTV was killing people by pulling TWC.  And stuff like "Don't let DIRECTV Control the Weather?"  Really?  No, it was the garbage TWC was spewing while they should have been negotiating in good faith (and you don't slime a trading partner while you are negotiating with them in supposed good faith) that made me glad to see TWC's tactics blow up in their faces.  TWC was making it personal.  

Edited by ziggy29, 02 April 2014 - 04:07 PM.

• fleckrj likes this
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#1260 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Same. Their attitude sealed it for me.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall