Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

THE WEATHER CHANNEL

May remove weather channel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1332 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

In looking at TWC's Facebook feed, I noticed someone mention that there is a new weather network launching later this year.  Some of the folks are ex-TWC people and have pledged 24/7 weather with no reality programming.  Perhaps this may be an alternative down the road?

http://www.networkweathercompany.com

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - present

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

The "let us go stand in the weather" shots are gimmicks ... they can be fun - throw the young "weather girl" in a parka and make her stand in the weather gazebo outside the station while giving the weather. But they are gimmicks.

There is entertainment value in putting a person in a storm for the viewer's amusement. I'll agree to that.

I don't.  It's contradictory to the point.  You don't tell someone how dangerous a storm is by putting someone out in it.

A snow storm is one thing.  There is no excuse for Hurricane shots like that.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#163 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Im scrolling thru the guide and now from 2pm till 4am Monday morning there is only reality programs scheduled. No live weather.

But funny thing is they are showing weather, maybe TWC is avoiding showing non weather programs until the dispute is over.

I noticed that too. So if someone is scanning through the guide and sees those shows listed they may not tune in to see weather.

#164 OFFLINE   glrush

glrush

Cool Member/Supporter

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

TWC does NOT show "reality programming". Per a post from TWC on Facebook, these shows are properly called "Natural Drama". Whoever in the PR department who dreamed that up should be either fired or put into government.

For TWC to say losing coverage is a public safety issue shows how desperate they are. If there is weather in my area I turn to a local station. I also find it hilarious that Cantore is the face of TWC on this issue; they must think that if he is on, the audience is so conditioned that when they see him on TV, there must be a disaster coming. Pathetic.

All this said, I never like to lose channels and hope TWC stays on. I would miss Jen Carfagno !

#165 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 397 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Since it seems this is the minority, not sure much will get done

So its evil Comcast's fault that DTV decided to hike my bill again? :eek2:   I don't think so.  This "drive" to change the content and how TWC delivers it is nonsense and nothing more than DTV playing "spin doctor" with the facts and hide the real reason for price increases, greed.  There are a lot of channels worse than TWC with questionable programming methods. (HLN, FOX News, MSNBC, etc..,) Yet where are all the fanboys with their complaints, surely DTV wants to hear about them.

#166 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

I love how directv is running there scroll over top of twc's scroll.

#167 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I wonder if Weather Nation is temp. The scroll running on The Weather Channel says that DTV is in active discussions with TWC, then says "In the mean time, Please enjoy Weather Nation on Ch 361 compliments of Directv"  Sounds like it may be temp. So if TWC stays on that Weather Nation may be gone.

#168 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

So its evil Comcast's fault that DTV decided to hike my bill again? :eek2:   I don't think so.  This "drive" to change the content and how TWC delivers it is nonsense and nothing more than DTV playing "spin doctor" with the facts and hide the real reason for price increases, greed.  There are a lot of channels worse than TWC with questionable programming methods. (HLN, FOX News, MSNBC, etc..,) Yet where are all the fanboys with their complaints, surely DTV wants to hear about them.

The Weather Channel is not the only channel that has lost its way, when there contract comes up DTV will here about them. 

Edited by PCampbell, 12 January 2014 - 04:09 PM.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#169 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

As someone living in Maine, TWC is pointless. They usually have a huge banner covering the entire state on every map and generally act like the state doesn't exist. Honestly,  the only weather they actually cover is that which is effecting the Northeast megalopolis, otherwise it is reality programming. I already have 150 reality television channels so I won't miss this one. 

On the flipside, Weathernation is great! Real weather. Real modeling. Coverage of all areas. Couldn't be happier with it and I suspect that if D* sticks with them, great things could happen down the road as more resources are made available. 

• tnd777 likes this

#170 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

I wonder if Weather Nation is temp. The scroll running on The Weather Channel says that DTV is in active discussions with TWC, then says "In the mean time, Please enjoy Weather Nation on Ch 361 compliments of Directv"  Sounds like it may be temp. So if TWC stays on that Weather Nation may be gone.

Whatever the outcome I hope Weather Nation stays.

• tnd777 and zeus like this

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#171 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

The fact is that TWC used to deliver weather 24/7.  Not anymore, and as such they have become useless, at least for providing weather which is "tune" they are trying to sing now....

• tnd777 likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#172 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Whatever the outcome I hope Weather Nation stays.

Same here, I hope DirecTV keeps it no matter what happens. As for those complaining about their production quality, they are running promos about upgraded graphics and more live content coming soon.

#173 OFFLINE   jrh1985

jrh1985

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

Same here, I hope DirecTV keeps it no matter what happens. As for those complaining about their production quality, they are running promos about upgraded graphics and more live content coming soon.

Really? Have you seen it on DTV's WN? I haven't seen anything on my local WN.  I'll have to look at their website tonight.

#174 OFFLINE   FussyBob

FussyBob

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

And don't forget TV Apps for local weather, local radar, and customizing additional locals so you can see how your parents are doing in Miami.

but it's brought to you by TWC, so if TWC goes so does the app.

#175 OFFLINE   FussyBob

FussyBob

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

I really don't get TWC's position.  They are scared to lose the 20M viewers, simple keep the current cost or lower it, end of discussion.

I have both DTV and local cable and the cable version of TWC is much, much, better.  It has constant scrolling updates of conditions and details for the immediate area and surrounding areas. I live in northeast PA small city of 30K.  The local on the the 8's for the DTV version is a joke compared to the cable version.  The last time I watched the DTV version was Sandy.

#176 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

but it's brought to you by TWC, so if TWC goes so does the app.

Ten-four, at least initially. Another party could make a TV app that does the equivalent, content coming from Gov. weather. (?)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#177 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Ten-four, at least initially. Another party could make a TV app that does the equivalent, content coming from Gov. weather. (?)

We had one before.....Some private party had designed and it was available in the "old" TVApps.....before the current HD Apps. It could be configured for your local zip code and had a 5 day forecast, from the NWS. I think it even had a real local radar image available....

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#178 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,462 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

As someone living in Maine, TWC is pointless.

That is for sure. It is like we don't even exist, most of the time. They talk about how cold NYC is when it is 20 degrees and we are below "0" and don't even get a mention.

• tnd777 and farnorcalgal like this

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#179 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

My wife pointed this out to me....Anybody else see this article?:

http://www.miamihera...-safety-at.html

The link is from the Miami Herald, but it also appeared in in our local paper...

So now it is a safety risk that Congress needs to act on.... !rolling

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#180 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Er, yeah, that was in their original press release, which a new poster kindly started another thread with. Outrageous to try to pull in our overworked Congress people. (cough). Still, a safety risk!! Gimme a break. Your safety is at risk if you rely solely on TWC for anything. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall