Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FXNOW

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

So FX just lauched their Netflix-like FXNOW app, but DirecTV seems to be not part of this: http://www.fxnetworks.com/fxnow/

Any word when we might be able to use this?

Edited by pablo, 28 December 2013 - 08:39 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

these things almost always have to do with contract negotiations.  Perhaps next time contract is up, it will be included 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,431 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

Maybe. Directv seems fixated on doing things in their app even though they have paired up with channel apps. They currently have sim FX stuff in their app now but it looks like it is only in home right now. That tells me they have some sort of digital rights agreement with fox now.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Or maybe they just haven't linked up the login stuff yet and it'll be there in a week or two as we have seen happen with several of these kinds of apps in the past.

#5 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

FoxSportsGo has been live for a couple of months with no DirecTV support. I'm surprised both weren't covered when the last contract was done in Q4 2011.

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,431 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

FoxSportsGo has been live for a couple of months with no DirecTV support. I'm surprised both weren't covered when the last contract was done in Q4 2011.

Considering fox sports 1 wasn't even a rumor until 2012, that would be hard to do.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#7 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

Considering fox sports 1 wasn't even a rumor until 2012, that would be hard to do.

FS1 media rumors started in Q1 2012 and DirecTV wrapped up a deal a couple of months prior, in Q4 2011. I think it's within the realm of reason that providers might have had knowledge before the media.

Second and more to the point, I am surprised that new deals, even in late 2011, didn't include rights to all digital platforms throughout the length of the existing contract, whether the exact platform existed or not.  Sort of a "If you launch an authenticated platform for x,y or z during this contract, you will provide access under the current terms of this deal" type of thing.  I thought digital rights and the like were the main hold up in several other deals, like AMC at the time, so the fact that these have to be re-negotiated is sort of a head scratcher.

Furthermore, I thought the FXX rebranding had to be renegotiated and perhaps Fuel, at least for some providers.  I'm surprised that the 'authentication' platforms weren't done as part of that.

Edited by mws192, 30 December 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,431 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

FS1 media rumors started in Q1 2012 and DirecTV wrapped up a deal a couple of months prior, in Q4 2011. I think it's within the realm of reason that providers might have had knowledge before the media.

Second and more to the point, I am surprised that new deals, even in late 2011, didn't include rights to all digital platforms throughout the length of the existing contract, whether the exact platform existed or not.  Sort of a "If you launch an authenticated platform for x,y or z during this contract, you will provide access under the current terms of this deal" type of thing.  I thought digital rights and the like were the main hold up in several other deals, like AMC at the time, so the fact that these have to be re-negotiated is sort of a head scratcher.

Furthermore, I thought the FXX rebranding had to be renegotiated and perhaps Fuel, at least for some providers.  I'm surprised that the 'authentication' platforms weren't done as part of that.

No one is going to make a deal without specifics. How much do you pay for something that doesn't exist? That isn't fully defined? What programming would the deal include? Linear channels? Would they even have the rights for that to be put in a digital package. How would they know if they didn't have programming deals yet?

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

Im Sure it was part of the discussion when FOX basically got laughed out of the room and couldn't get anyone to pay the higher prices they wanted for FOX sports and just honored their existing contracts with providers that didn't include the on the go stuff.

#10 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

http://www.thefutonc.../20140721fxx01/

FXX Will Air All 25 Seasons (552 Episodes) of The Simpsons and The Simpsons Movie In Chronological Order

"Simpsons World" Offers a Premium Simpsons Fan Experience with Access to the Entire Catalog of Full-Length Episodes for the First Time Ever Via FXNOW App and SimpsonsWorld.com in October

So this is still not coming for DirecTV customers? :(

#11 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,862 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

You'll still be able to watch them on FXX.

DirecTV isn't the only one missing out on FX Now though, Charter, Dish, RCN and FiOS don't have it either since it's tied to contract renewals.

spam firewall